Plan to buy a new monitor for Vista?

Again I'm mad....First I get news that my HDTV is inferior because it doesn't support HDCP and now my Dell monitor is in the same boat.....how ridiculous :angry:

People wanting to upgrade to Windows Vista are likely to need not only a new computer with more robust hardware, but a new monitor as well.

A US tech consultant says technology in the new version will fuzz protected digital content unless it is viewed on a monitor which has High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP).

Stephen Speicher, who writes a weekly column for the tech blog engadget, said: "If you're one of those rare people whose display is equipped with HDCP, you're fine. However, in the world of computers, such users are few and far between."

The technology is known as PVP-OPM, or Protected Video Path - Output Protection Management.

Speicher said while HDCP had become a de facto standard for display copy-protection in televisions, its penetration in the computer display market was very low.

"Whether you're plunking down money for one of the new ultra-fast LCD displays with 4ms response times or you're becoming the envy of the neighbourhood with Dell's UltraSharp 2405FPW widescreen display, you're buying a monitor that won't play nice with premium content in Longhorn (the code name for Windows Vista)," he said.

Read more...

:::A Microsoft official confirmed this, saying: "Current computer monitors will work even with high-value content, although the resolution of displayed images might be lower than what you might get with a protected monitor link."

That's still not good enough for me. They are pushing DRM down our throats and there's nothing you can do about it (as long as you're using MS products)

again!! its the same damn idea

if you want to watch HD content on your computer, you will need HDCP enabled display.

if you haven't notived HDCP is industry standard for HD for over 3 years.

if you gonna write word documents, play games you don't need a new monitor

btw, didn't you say you gonna leave the forums in the last thread? that was basically about the samething, because your tv doesn't support HDCP

Edited by nekrosoft13

then why can i currently watch HD content on my computer at full resolution?

If I can currently do it, I should be able to do it in the future.

Are you pro-drm? I kind of want control of my own computer....I dunno about you though.

::: I decided to stay....what the hell does that have anythign to do with this? Stay on topic or I'm reporting you

then why can i currently watch HD content on my computer at full resolution?

If I can currently do it, I should be able to do it in the future.

Are you pro-drm? I kind of want control of my own computer....I dunno about you though.

586319468[/snapback]

oh so you can watch HD-DVD movies and Blu-ray movies? wow, they are for sale already?

i'm not pro DRM, but there is nothing you can do

report me? for what? that i don't agree with you? :rofl:

I'm talking about current HD content that you can buy and view. How about Terminator 2 Special Edition?

The resolution is HIGHER than 1080, and it plays fine, without this HDCP crap.

There's nothing we can do? We can boycott their products and show them that the consumer is supposed to be in control of what we buy. It's not to be dictated to us.

I find it extremely ironic that you have a "against tcpa" link on your signature, and yet both times you have come in these topics and shown that you obviously don't care about your rights being violated.

Meshuggah: Nobody is forcing you to buy Vista... If you don't like the rules MS are playing by, and you are satisfied with your current setup, then stick with it.

I fail to see how this latest DRM effort violates anyone's rights.

As for threatening to report... I'm gonna run and tell mummy!

oh so you can watch HD-DVD movies and Blu-ray movies? wow, they are for sale already?

i'm not pro DRM, but there is nothing you can do

report me? for what? that i don't agree with you?  :rofl:

586319481[/snapback]

there are other HD content, like HDTV tuners for computers which let us view and record HD to a DVD(s) or DL-DVD(s)

I really don't understand this. How exactly can any monitor be insecure? Why do you need a "secure" monitor to play content? People can look over your shoulder and watch a movie with you if it's a ?20 10 year old 2nd hand monitor, or a brand spanking new monitor with all this new mumbo jumbo :\

I find it extremely ironic that you have a "against tcpa" link on your signature, and yet both times you have come in these topics and shown that you obviously don't care about your rights being violated.

586319499[/snapback]

Spot on.

Bangbang pretty much sumed it up for me. I just won't be buying it if it doesn't work on my monitor.

Ditto. If MS start shipping these fancy monitors with Vista - that's fair enough. But if they just screw over pretty much everyone over some pointless copy protection technology which will get cracked in a week. Screw it, I'll go to blockbusters and rent a DVD.

586319499[/snapback]

not even close

check and see what TCPA is then come back with your findings

HDCP is diffrent

when it comes to TCPA i do care, when it comes to HDCP i don't, when it comes to copy protection most are useless, only starforce is any good(still not perfect).

so like i said, TCPA and HDCP is not the samething

edit

HDCP doesn't bother me, i still would preffer that i wouldn't be there, but it seems like complaining won't help

look at it this way, 6+ billion people in the world. well minus all the people from 3rd world counties, old folks, kids and so on, maybe what 500 million + people actually are potential customers (just speculation). now out of those people what do you think is the percentage of people that actually know what is going on? maybe 10%, those people might boycott. for the rest of them is just a new word, oh so they had DVD, now it will be HD DVD or Vista.

Edited by nekrosoft13

Hey guys let's force anti-piracy measures down legitimate customers throats.

586319681[/snapback]

thats always the case in every aspect of everyones life

if everyone would behave like a angel, would there be prisons. laws, cops?

if few crazy people wouldn't be blowing up/crashing planes would we have to jumps thru hoops to get on the plane?

if people wouldn't rob banks, would there be security cameras and guards?

and so on

At this point I wouldn't bother much with MSFT claims on what is "necessary".

Believe U me, it will not happen, since no one has anything per their requirements yet even in their dreams, enjoy "any" GOOD monitor now...

look at it this way, 6+ billion people in the world. well minus all the people from 3rd world counties, old folks, kids and so on, maybe what 500 million + people actually are potential customers (just speculation). now out of those people what do you think is the percentage of people that actually know what is going on? maybe 10%, those people might boycott. for the rest of them is just a new word, oh so they had DVD, now it will be HD DVD or Vista.

586319716[/snapback]

Well, i think you're half right on this. While most people won't know, they will know when they buy a dvd player and their current HDTV is not supported. Same thing for monitors. You will know when you CAN'T play their discs.

:::: suddenly, you're against tcpa thing isn't loading :p

Actually, I suppose if you think of it this way, it's not so bad.

When DVD's were invented, everyone was like "Oh noes! I can't play those in my VHS player, I need to splash out for a DVD player"

Now it's like, "Oh noes! My monitor won't play these new fancy movies. I need to splash out for a new monitor!"

Still sucks though.

but see, what really sucks, is monitors like the dell 2405 fpw are specifically made to view 1080 content....a lot of companies are currently saying that these monitors/tv's are going to support the new hd-dvd...and its becoming quite clear that that is in fact a HUGE lie...

consumers are getting screwed 3x's over on this...but i guess i have to do what bangbang will do...boycott it, since that's the only thing i can do (besides waste more money)

Well, i think you're half right on this. While most people won't know, they will know when they buy a dvd player and their current HDTV is not supported. Same thing for monitors. You will know when you CAN'T play their discs.

:::: suddenly, you're against tcpa thing isn't loading  :p

586320597[/snapback]

its loading fine here

keep in mind that for almost 3 years hdtv been sold with HDCP, its not new

its loading fine here

keep in mind that for almost 3 years hdtv been sold with HDCP, its not new

586321093[/snapback]

And different revisions of HDCP don't work with others.