Plan to buy a new monitor for Vista?

It's the same with TV's soon..  Congress was forcing all households to upgrade their tv's for HDTV support by passing a law....just because the Powerful Campain Financiers in the Television industry says so....forcing people to spend money.  They have now pushed back the deadline to 2008 I think ?

:rolleyes:

anyway they really ought to ask the consumers first or jesus build it so you can still use the old tv or monitor but without the high digital quality supported.  From the sound of it the DVD's won't support anything less than an HDCP tv.  no backward compatibility? :rolleyes:  :wacko:

586337433[/snapback]

Man, people have had fair warning and HDTV provides an actual benefit to the consumer. This has been hush hush and only serves to restrict the consumer and nothing more.

Its just another feature MS will cutout because they are idiots.

586327135[/snapback]

they won't

if they cut it out then you won't be able to watch any HD-DVD and Blu-ray movies

both of them require HDCP tv/monitor.

What about Apple?

I think it's very unlikely for them to discontinue the current ACD and update it only because of this.

And I doubt Macs won't be able to play HD-DVD's.

This is just stupid. Why whould tracing the signal when it reaches the flat panel itself (it can't be encrypted in such a state) be any harder than tracing the normal DVI signal?

586321323[/snapback]

Maybe it's to stop KVMs?

it's purely exagering imo

there are enough technology + hardware that have to fit together to make them work. this is enough

microsoft will lose that one

what apple will do, i don't know, but allot of people here are missing the point

the new hd-dvd and blu-ray movies will come hdcp encoded(+other copy protections) when the source is hdcp encoded you require hdcp ready display to watch it, its simple as that

if you don't have hdcp ready display, then it will only play at 480p, not high-def

I have hundreds of movies in full-on 1080i HDTV recorded to DVD+Rs ...

They play fine ;) And they always will, no matter what the display is.

Blue-Ray / HD-DVD will also play just fine on current computers/displays (given you have a fast enough CPU) ... Quicktime 7 HD is the same codec (H.264) that next-gen HDTV will use, and I can play that just fine as well ...

This is just a load of you-know-what ...

Everything Vista has to 'offer' will be cracked. Period. Besides, WinXP is plenty capable of playing HDTV for many years to come.

Don't know why you people buy into this stuff  :rolleyes:

586322302[/snapback]

HDTV playback on the PC has been around for awhile ... what rock you guys been living under ?

And you guys know just as well as I do, anything BlueRay or HDDVD has for protection will get circumvented. Period.

That's still not good enough for me. They are pushing DRM down our throats and there's nothing you can do about it (as long as you're using MS products)

586319435[/snapback]

A kind of correction to this: as long as you're using DRM'ed content

Sure, there's all sorts of inconveniences awaiting if you've bought and wish to play protected video on a non-compliant monitor, but then how about -- just don't? Pirate in protest if you wish. :p

Can someone please explain something to me please:

How exactly does buying a new monitor stop people from copying movies?

It doesn't and that's not the purpose of DRM either. The purpose of DRM is to restrict ways to play back protected content, period. It's not to stop piracy or anything. It's as usual here -- their fight against piracy basically just harm the legit, paying, users, while all this bull completely misses their actual target. You'll be able to play, say, unprotected DVD rips on current and future monitors; no problem. In Vista too.

Edited by Jugalator

What is the point of restricting playback of protected content? What is the content protected against? I always assumed piracy.

586344535[/snapback]

Well... It's a bit funny...

The music companies will for example NEVER agree to just letting e.g. Apple distribute unprotected music on iTunes. I mean, think about it, that could mean it getting COPIED, and these companies starts sweating real bad at the thought of it.

So it's because they see their customers as crooks; they have to protect themselves against the target of their music.

It's not because people are already pirating. They fight that by sending subpoenas etc, not by introducing DRM. It's easy as pie to playback a movie on your old monitor in Vista; just download it from a P2P network. DRM is just something you get as a bonus when playing the legit game.

Mad, mad world... :no:

Edited by Jugalator

think of HDCP like macrovision back in VCR time

HDCP job is to only display the content on HDCP ready display.

while macrovision can be removed with allot of problem, same can be done to HDCP, it will just take time

DRM on the other hand, is meant to prevent you from copying. HDCP is not DRM.

and its not Microsoft fault when it comes to HDCP, why does everyone keep

blaming them?

Microsoft didn't invent HDCP, and the main pushers are movie studios and MPAA, go blame them.

if microsoft will not implement HDCP, then a diffrent group of people, the ones that want watch the new generation of movies would complain that they can't watch the movies at full 1080p

that could mean it getting COPIED

So...that would be copy protection then...to stop people pirating the music? :p

So...the way I see it is; The protect movies, which you can only play in specific monitors. Well, OK. That stops legit paying customers from playing the movies if they don't have a special monitor. But...they could still copy the movie, and give it to a friend who does have the special sort of monitor. So basically, aslong as whoever downloads/recieves a copy of a movie has a special monitor - they can still play the movie. Which is utter bollocks. Therefore the only people who "they" are ****ing off with this, are not the movie pirates - who could have a special monitor - but legit and non-legit customers who don't have special monitors - and a year ago spend ?1000 on a top of the range monitor that is now obselete because of some useless protection technology.

Correct me if I'm wrong:))

EDIT:

if microsoft will not implement HDCP, then a diffrent group of people, the ones that want watch the new generation of movies would complain that they can't watch the movies at full 1080p

Do you reckon if DVD players weren't made by anybody DVDs would have caught on? If operating systems didn't support HDCP, and say - just for the hell of it, neither did home entertainment systems - do you really thing the movie industry would keep pumping out movies with HDCP technology? Of course not.

Movie industry: We've decided to produce DVDs using RAINBOW-RAY technology

The world: Erm, dude, nobody can play that.

Movie industry: That's not the point - we'll save millions because you can't copy it!

586344570[/snapback]

My point is, put very simply: Do you see few quality DVD and music album rips today thanks to DRM? We have tons of DRM'ed content already, especially when speaking music. Did it change anything at all? Do DRM hit its target, or just hit the legit users bulls-eye?

So...the way I see it is; The protect movies, which you can only play in specific monitors. Well, OK. That stops legit paying customers from playing the movies if they don't have a special monitor. But...they could still copy the movie, and give it to a friend who does have the special sort of monitor. So basically, aslong as whoever downloads/recieves a copy of a movie has a special monitor - they can still play the movie. Which is utter bollocks. Therefore the only people who "they" are ****ing off with this, are not the movie pirates - who could have a special monitor - but legit and non-legit customers who don't have special monitors - and a year ago spend ?1000 on a top of the range monitor that is now obselete because of some useless protection technology.

Correct me if I'm wrong:))

586344570[/snapback]

few corrections,

you can watch hdcp movie on your normal monitor but only at 480p, not the full 1080p resolution

copying both blu-ray and hd-dvd movies will not be that easy, as specifications are not finalized yet, there is word that it won't be easy, for one movies will be also encoded in either 128-bit or 256-bit EAS, plus some companys are talking about implementing a special re-writable sections on the disc that will hold the info how the disc is used. diffrent companys mentioned online authorization

those extra copy protections have nothing to do with HDCP, like i said before, HDCP doesn't bother me, but all that extra BS does

Do you see few quality DVD and music album rips today thanks to DRM? We have tons of DRM'ed content already, especially when speaking music. Did it change anything at all?

Yes. I do see a lot of quality music album rips (never looked up DVD rips, but I'm sure they exist)

Just searching a bit torrent site or IRC search would find many brand new albums up for download.

those extra copy protections have nothing to do with HDCP, like i said before, HDCP doesn't bother me, but all that extra BS does

My bad, I still don't really know much about HDCP. But you say "you can watch hdcp movie on your normal monitor but only at 480p, not the full 1080p resolution" is this because of the new technology that stops older monitors playing at the full resolution, or is it that the older monitors aren't capable of displaying at the full resolution?

Yes. I do see a lot of quality music album rips (never looked up DVD rips, but I'm sure they exist)

Just searching a bit torrent site or IRC search would find many brand new albums up for download.

My bad, I still don't really know much about HDCP. But you say "you can watch hdcp movie on your normal monitor but only at 480p, not the full 1080p resolution" is this because of the new technology that stops older monitors playing at the full resolution, or is it that the older monitors aren't capable of displaying at the full resolution?

586344615[/snapback]

1080p is 1920x1080

720p is 1024x720 same story

so its because of HDCP

So Bob's ?1000 monitor he just bought will be obselete because of seemingly pointless technology? His monitor is capable of playing the content of that resolution - but it can't. I'm sure Bob has a problem with HDCP now:pp

It is quite obvious that he's using bob as a generic person. Does this mean you admit he's right?

586344749[/snapback]

right in which aspect?

that bobs 1,000 monitor won't play HD content at full res?

yes

note: by HD content i mean movies on both blu-ray and HD-dvd