Ordered! 12" 100gb PB....!

:D cheers everyone for ur help - i have JUST ordered my 12" 100gb 512mb PB (will buy a 1gb stick once i get it) plus an iPod 4gb (pink!), and AppleCare for the PB (wasn't going too but the nice sounding man on the phone convinced me....)

Total damage: ?1298.77 (-100 rebate coupon = ?1198.77:blink:k:

Not bad considering it was ?1200 base price for the PB alone without the extra 20gb, applecare, and iPod, before the student discount was calculated!!

good work Apple!!!!

now i wait...:pinch:ch: two weeks delivery, worst case scenario apparently. oooh i cant believe it!!!! (neither can my bank account...)

lau.x

now i wait..... :pinch:  two weeks delivery, worst case scenario apparently. oooh i cant believe it!!!! (neither can my bank account...)

586325289[/snapback]

I assume the wait is due to it's BTO status eh? When I BTO my 15" 1.5Ghz they had it built and sent from Shanghai in 3 days. Don't be surprised if it shows up veeeery early within those 2 weeks! :D

In regards to the Applecare, you could not have made a wiser decision. I have had to use it a few times since beginning to use PBs. It is a lifesaver.

A couple things to do once it arrives:

- Make sure you run it on battery power until it goes past the reserve and into forced-sleep, then charge it up on AC power for a good 24 hours. This will insure that it is properly callibrated charge-wise.

- Invest in a copy of Diskwarrior. The apple techs I know swear by it.

- Couldn't hurt to run the hardware checker before you get too far into your "relationship". :yes:

Grats on the purchase!

I assume the wait is due to it's BTO status eh? When I BTO my 15" 1.5Ghz they had it built and sent from Shanghai in 3 days. Don't be surprised if it shows up veeeery early within those 2 weeks!  :D

In regards to the Applecare, you could not have made a wiser decision. I have had to use it a few times since beginning to use PBs. It is a lifesaver.

A couple things to do once it arrives:

- Make sure you run it on battery power until it goes past the reserve and into forced-sleep, then charge it up on AC power for a good 24 hours. This will insure that it is properly callibrated charge-wise.

- Invest in a copy of Diskwarrior. The apple techs I know swear by it.

- Couldn't hurt to run the hardware checker before you get too far into your "relationship".  :yes:

Grats on the purchase!

586325642[/snapback]

I don't have Diskwarrior and I never had a problem with my Powerbook. One think I'd suggest is to get a nice big LCD. The 12" PB is sweet (that's what I have) but when you want to do some serious work at home, a nice external screen is the way to go. By the way, did you have to pay for your iPod or do you guys have the back-to-school promotion in the UK too?

Now all you have to do is to pray that you get a Powerbook without dead pixels... :yes:

thanks guys!

i'll look into the disk warrior thing. i can't afford an external screen now i've bought the PB!!!!!! i'm now thinking arg i should've just got the 14" iBook...but i think it's just panic setting in b/c of all the money!! :wacko:

will be fine when i get it (oh god i hope it doesn't have any dead pixels!!! or *anything* wrong with it to be precise (pray for me ppl!!)

the applecare.....yeah i just thought it was the easiert thing. and when i get house insurance for uni accommodation i'll try specify my laptop as a big cover item cos knowing me......... :rolleyes:

yeah i was going to do the battery thing - my sis runs her laptop off battery the entire time, it never charges down at all. i don't think that can be good?

as for the iPod mini - it was about ?28. even thought what someone said that on the website it meant it was free and u had to do the mail-in rebate for the 6gb or the full iPod? well, that wasn't the case. it had just worded it oddly on the website.

now, i have to look for a printer, get a 1gb RAM from crucial (probably - will do spec check thing on their site from my PB) and get a bag, not sure if a backpack styley or normal...... hmmm so i could've gotten a laptop AND all those extras for 3 times less what i paid now...but you know what, it wouldn't be an Apple and it wouldn't work!!!!!!!! windows = :devil:: in my eyes now lol.

You could've waited a year before purchasing AppleCare, using that money on the upgraded RAM instead (and the RAM money on... savings). Just remember to prime your battery the first time. Full charge (keep it in) until it gets to 100% then use it until it completely turns off by itself (don't worry it doesn't go down to 0%).

Then charge it back up and repeat. Just do it once and the other times you can charge/pull the cord out whenever you want. I think you only need DDR333 on the PB if it's the same as mine (well, it is actually... but I got the stock configuration). PC2700 (200-pin, SO-DIMM). Anything higher will work too.

:)

You could've waited a year before purchasing AppleCare, using that money on the upgraded RAM instead (and the RAM money on... savings). Just remember to prime your battery the first time. Full charge (keep it in) until it gets to 100% then use it until it completely turns off by itself (don't worry it doesn't go down to 0%).

Then charge it back up and repeat. Just do it once and the other times you can charge/pull the cord out whenever you want. I think you only need DDR333 on the PB if it's the same as mine (well, it is actually... but I got the stock configuration). PC2700 (200-pin, SO-DIMM). Anything higher will work too.

:)

586330290[/snapback]

yeah i was going to wait a year at first but i got more discount ordering the applecare now so i just did it..... i figured im gonna spend the money on it at some point, and on the RAM etc. i think i might as well fully upgrade it now so it's zoooooooming!! :happy:

yeah i think i get the DDR333 RAM, had a look on crucial, looked to be ?100 to ?130, but will check specifically through my PB just to be sure.

oh, one thing i wondered - does it come with some sort of file-zip program like u get winzip? or is there a downloadable one on hanging around somewhere on the net?i am a TOTAL newbie at macs lol.

i wish mummy would pay that much for mine too saxondale lol - well she did but it's temporary!!! it's basically my money, but was just easier to use her card......but i have to pay her back:(:( - over time tho, and that's the only reason i decided to get the PB over the iBook, cos it frees up my money at the mo for uni.

oooooooooooooh i just cant wait - how long did ppl have to wait on average for their BTO PB/ iBooks?? it says it will be ready to ship in 3days.....im guessing that means counting from today, not yesterday!?

lau.x

Im actually restraining myself laura, i really do need it for college but im waiting till they go intel, its going to a long wait, but i think its worth it for future proof, unless a G5 powerbook comes out, i will be getting it straight away :p

and i would get the ram from ebay personally, save around ?20, depending on the type

i would say monday is when you will get it, or even tuesday

Im actually restraining myself laura, i really do need it for college but im waiting till they go intel, its going to a long wait, but i think its worth it for future proof, unless a G5 powerbook comes out, i will be getting it straight away :p

586330387[/snapback]

yeah i was wondering about the whole move thing. b/c i am such a newbie and basically paid no attention to the existence of macs before now (and had been out in the wilds of south africa for six months from january til june) i had no idea this plan was even..... well......was even a plan lol.

then when i found out i started to wonder if i should also wait. but some people seem very sceptical that it will make such a great difference at first, and also even wondered if they would even touch the notebook range until they'd sorted all of the desktop stuff out. and then there was the wait......i start uni in september, and need valuable time to play with it beforehand!!!

well if you need it for uni then i would get it now, you dont want to wait just because of an upgrade which you might not even need or afford. What did you go for by the way? 12" powerbook?

yeah i figured as much - yep, as in title, 100gb (wooooooo that should last me a while!!)  12" PB. it was a toss between that and the 14" iBook but i thought there's no point buying a 14" if i want a 12", that would be stupid as i'd only end up costing myself more by changing it further down the line.

this should last be forevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvver! (or nearly anyway...)

586330426[/snapback]

thats the same as mine... get ready to be dissapointed by the screen :(

well if you need it for uni then i would get it now, you dont want to wait just because of an upgrade which you might not even need or afford.  What did you go for by the way? 12" powerbook?

586330418[/snapback]

yeah i figured as much - yep, as in title, 100gb (wooooooo that should last me a while!!) 12" PB. it was a toss between that and the 14" iBook but i thought there's no point buying a 14" if i want a 12", that would be stupid as i'd only end up costing myself more by changing it further down the line.

yeah i figured as much - yep, as in title, 100gb (wooooooo that should last me a while!!)  12" PB. it was a toss between that and the 14" iBook but i thought there's no point buying a 14" if i want a 12", that would be stupid as i'd only end up costing myself more by changing it further down the line.

586330426[/snapback]

The screen is cute, i like it alot. Went into the apple shop today, had a play with it. It was a toss up for me as well, but also a 17" 2GHz iMac... what is it for exactly? just general typing up, finding info, presentations?

100gb would be awesome to have, especially for me.

thats the same as mine... get ready to be dissapointed by the screen  :(

586330429[/snapback]

nooooo please don't make me sad!!!!! what were u disappointed with? did u have dead pixels, or do u mean screen size/ resolution?

i've played with them in shop, and my friend has 12" iBook which i find sufficient.

nooooo please don't make me sad!!!!! what were u disappointed with? did u have dead pixels, or do u mean screen size/ resolution?

i've played with them in shop, and my friend has 12" iBook which i find sufficient.

586330451[/snapback]

i think hes on about the size of the screen. By the way, how much did you get it for? ?902.40?

The screen is cute, i like it alot. Went into the apple shop today, had a play with it.  It was a toss up for me as well, but also a 17" 2GHz iMac... what is it for exactly? just general typing up, finding info, presentations?

100gb would be awesome to have, especially for me.

586330444[/snapback]

well i have a post somewhere about "Powerbook or iBook", quite recently posted so maybe it is still on the first page or secondpage. i think i say there what i'll use it for.

generally, uni typing/ documents etc (normal office stuff i reckon) music, LOTS of photos, internet, and editing an creating DVDs from our DVDcamcorder (though unfortunately as it isnt tray loading i can't put the mini DVDs in the drive) altho i like the fact u just slip the discs in, less to break, get dusty, get damaged!!

i think after this if it all goes smoothly and we fall in love, when i get a job after uni and get a place and, well, some money, then i'll by a desktop mac too.

000030 M8853Z/A APP FOR POWERBOOK-E/K-INT 1 188.00 Within 24 hours

000020 P9804B/A IPOD MINI,4G,PINK-PERSONALIZED-GBR 1 109.00 3 business days

000010 Z0B907C6V PBG4 12.1 /512/100/CMB/AP/B 1 808.34 3 business days

?808.34! with the full 14 ish % discount - even tho Apple insisted when i emailed them that the most was 9%!!!!!!!!

EDIT -oooooooooooops that's without VAT. add on 17.5%. i think it was like.....well, i'm not sure, base price was ?1200, then i added the extra 20GB, then it was taking off 14%.

Tiger doesn't actually come with StuffIt (which is what you'll need for unzipping and that). Panther came with StuffIt Expander before, so I guess you'll have to get the free version from www.stuffit.com which will do the expansion (unzipping/extracting) for you - but you can't create zip files or anything using just the Expander... for that you'll need the full version.

Just go to stuffit.com and it's in the Mac section. You'll see the free version called StuffIt Expander or Standard I think... it will do the unzipping and stuff for you.

I'm still waiting on my BTO 12" iBook from last week! I'm waiting 7-10 days actually... it's not for me (sibling) but I just want to play with it. :D

I just checked... and it's Expander.

Edited by Huy

Tiger doesn't actually come with StuffIt (which is what you'll need for unzipping and that). Panther came with StuffIt Expander before, so I guess you'll have to get the free version from www.stuffit.com which will do the expansion (unzipping/extracting) for you - but you can't create zip files or anything using just the Expander... for that you'll need the full version.

Just go to stuffit.com and it's in the Mac section. You'll see the free version called StuffIt Expander or Standard I think... it will do the unzipping and stuff for you.

I'm still waiting on my BTO 12" iBook from last week! I'm waiting 7-10 days actually...

586330528[/snapback]

ooooh cool, what day did u order it last week? yes he said 2 wks worst case scenario... i'm not here 10th to 17th, so i want it to come before preferably!!! have a bit play with it, but i don't think it will.

thanks for the info, i will get that when i get my PB - have to write a list of all the things i need to download etc, and i should get all the updates for the programs right?

am i right in thinking the iBook comes with AppleWorks but the PB does not? don't really need it, but if it was there i'd have tried to use that instead.

wow! *im jealous* lol

my co workers have 12'' pb, and they dazzled me with all the awesome effects, and virtual desktop transition effects... basically i ordered the mac mini after playing with it;

next up on my list is either a powermac or 12" pbook, depending on the intel priced versions ;D

Well, the iBook was ordered on the same night it was announced, so 26th July. It's now the 5th August. It should come next week or else I'm calling them up again (Apple Store Online... Australia).

Yes get the latest versions because they will likely support Tiger. Also run Software Update but it should do that for you automatically once you're on the net. Yes, AppleWorks comes on the "i" hardware like iMac and iBook whereas the the professional series (PowerBook, PowerMac) don't. I don't have AppleWorks but I guess I can probably use the restore disc from the iBook on my PB if I wanted to... or it might not work but I'll try it anyway.