Ordered! 12" 100gb PB....!

nooooo please don't make me sad!!!!! what were u disappointed with? did u have dead pixels, or do u mean screen size/ resolution?

i've played with them in shop, and my friend has 12" iBook which i find sufficient.

586330451[/snapback]

everything is fine... great infact apart for the colour. no matter what, it will be very dull, thats fine unless you want to use it for anything other than design work. btw, to sqeeze the most out of it, theres a free callibration app called supercal found here: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8142

its way better than the built in utility and if you spend about 10 mins getting used to how the app works, then another 20 mins carefully callibrating the screen, you'll have spot on colour... yet it will still be dull compared to most screens that i've seen, even my reletivly cheap pc screen. apple are said to be using cheap backlights for them :/

jlmodell, yeah i tried a friend's iBook 12" and i was like, oh ok so macs are actually pretty cool then........!! and then just decided now, i started looking at windows laptops but again got a demo of an Apple iMac i think it was, in store, and even my mum said it looked good (she liked that u can make the icons big when u hover over them in the dock, as it is easier for her to see them then!)

Well, the iBook was ordered on the same night it was announced, so 26th July. It's now the 5th August. It should come next week or else I'm calling them up again (Apple Store Online... Australia).

Yes get the latest versions because they will likely support Tiger. Also run Software Update but it should do that for you automatically once you're on the net. Yes, AppleWorks comes on the "i" hardware like iMac and iBook whereas the the professional series (PowerBook, PowerMac) don't. I don't have AppleWorks but I guess I can probably use the restore disc from the iBook on my PB if I wanted to... or it might not work but I'll try it anyway.

586330551[/snapback]

oh ok i'd have liked to have AppleWorks but it isnt really necessary so i'm sure i'll live!! but i was like, ohhhhhh i'm paying more but they won't give me it :cry:

post as soon as u get the iBook!! i am sure i shall be on mine straight away posting to tell everyone lol (whether they want to know or not...... ;) )

Haha yeah I will. I posted about getting my Mighty Mouse today and I did about 6 months back when I got my first PowerBook (12" too). We're all following your story anyway I'm thinking.

:woot: :woot: lol cheers for the support!!!!!!

it certainly is a happy day when u order a powerbook :D

even happier when it arrives me thinks!!!! :woot: :woot:

Edited because Huy has a much more direct link below.

(The stuffit site is a lil confusing to navigate to get to the free stuff!)

Edited by Fogtripper

Just remember to prime your battery the first time. Full charge (keep it in) until it gets to 100% then use it until it completely turns off by itself (don't worry it doesn't go down to 0%).

586330290[/snapback]

Yup...what he said. (I left out the charging to 100% before running it all the way down...)

thats the same as mine... get ready to be dissapointed by the screen?:((

586330429[/snapback]

Don't be shy about getting a CRT for home use. Sometimes even my 15" seems restrictive. Thankfully I have a 22" Trinitron CRT to use with it. The bugger weighs a ton (my desk is actually sagging as a result!) but was loads cheaper than an LCD. The PB graphics card should be able to handle a decently-sized external monitor.

Edited by Fogtripper

Hit the Edit button Foptripper ;)

586330738[/snapback]

Point made. Baaaaaad habit of mine. :blush:

As far as Appleworks, you may be able to muddle through with Omnigiraffe and Textedit for most stuff. (both come with OSX)

Also I'm not 100% but don't Apple throw in iWork trial as well? It wasn't on mine but I've seen some 30-day trial discs in some boxes. Maybe it's for iBooks only.

Pages might be good but I'd invest the money in Office 2004 Student/Teacher edition (educational pricing!). It's a bit more to pay but at least you'll have things like PowerPoint, Word (especially Word) and Excel. MSN is free and Entourage I don't particularly like, you might find Mail 2.0 heaps better/easier to use.

Also I'm not 100% but don't Apple throw in iWork trial as well? It wasn't on mine but I've seen some 30-day trial discs in some boxes. Maybe it's for iBooks only.

586330820[/snapback]

I just checked. iWorks Trial is indeed included on the PB Install CD in the bundled software.

I just checked. iWorks Trial is indeed included on the PB Install CD in the bundled software.

586331014[/snapback]

oh ok that's cool i can give that a try-out anyway. something else for me to be kept busy with on my PB!!!!

oh ok that's cool i can give that a try-out anyway.? something else for me to? be kept busy with on my PB!!!!

586331178[/snapback]

I guess it's worth noting there is a microsoft office 2004 test drive also included in the bundle.:):)

(at least there was a couple months ago when I got the 1.67Mhz PB.)

:D cheers everyone for ur help - i have JUST ordered my 12" 100gb 512mb PB  (will buy a 1gb stick once i get it)  plus an iPod 4gb (pink!), and AppleCare for the PB (wasn't going too but the nice sounding man on the phone convinced me....)

Total damage: ?1298.77  (-100 rebate coupon = ?1198.77:blink:k:

Not bad considering it was ?1200 base price for the PB alone without the extra 20gb, applecare, and iPod, before the student discount was calculated!!

good work Apple!!!!

now i wait...:pinch:ch:  two weeks delivery, worst case scenario apparently. oooh i cant believe it!!!! (neither can my bank account...)

lau.x

Uber congrats to you man! I hope it serves you well for a long, long time.

Enjoy and good luck,

BK

Big or small? It's 1024x768 and I think it's fine for a 12". It's totally off (bad) for 14" iBooks. I like the 12" PB actually... they're sweet.

@Fog, yep I think that's always included too but takes up way too much space. I have a 12" PB and it's on the restore DVD too. (fast machine you have there!!! Only kidding! :))

PLEASE HELP!!

i checked the confirmation email and emailed the guy who i dealt with, but realised now he won't be in til monday at the earliest i guess..

on the confirmation email, the PB is down as:

512MB DDR333 RAM - 2 DIMMs

100GB Ultra ATA Drive@5400rpm

Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

Country Kit/Airport Extreme-B

Keyboard/Mac OS-B

i don't want a combo drive!!!!! on the final quote he sent me it said Superdrive, and i rang and confirmed i wanted the spec as written on the final quote. but now..... i am wondering if this can be right. not so much wondering, as panicking!! if he has made a mistake, that's his bad right, not something that i have to then sort out? he should just fix it if he has made an error on his side? maybe it is just a mistake in the email...

also i can't track the order on the site, it won't seem to accept my order number and says "OOPS an error has occurred"!! any ideas anyone?!

from a deeply worried laura!x

If emailing takes forever, call them and make sure it's right. I think you have time to change (or even cancel) your order if it's incorrect. Don't leave it up to them to fix their mistakes, tell them yourself (to put your mind at ease...). Can you check your order status by logging in with your appleid and password?

well.......now i am not getting my PB :( :( :(

i emailed them twice then rang them today, as i had a confirmation from them saying they'd shipped it, but no-one had gotten back to me regarding the possible error in having a combo drive instead of superdrive.....

so i rang and first off, she refused to refund the entire order. i said well can u guarantee i'll still get ?100 rebate offer with my mini even tho the mini and the PB will be sent on two different orders? no...... well then i want to refund the whole order!!!!! normaly i'd have gone oh ok, but when i'm spending this much i don't want any problems, i want it to be easy!! she said no at first cos the ipod was personalised, i said well it's not my fault ur end made a mistake!!!

so.....she has cancelled the order (i think) so that cancels the applecare, ipod mini, and the PB. then when i get back from hols in a weeks time or so, i'll put the order through again as a new order and make sure they do it EXACTLY right! i wouldnt care so much except i spoke to the same guy many times varying between the 14" iBook and the 12" PB - he knew i was getting it specifically for the SD!!!!!! now i am thinking fr how expensive it is, should i just get the 14" iBook after all (god i change my mind so often..) but just because i think there will be quite a big difference in weight/size for carrying it round..... arg iwas so decided b/c i ordered it so that was that. now i wont have one for at least 2 or 3 wks, and now my mind is slightly undecided again.....not sure the exact difference in ??s between either especially with the 100Gb and leaving at 512 (also it is better on the iBook, it is only in one 512 module right, so ur not wasting 256 like if u upgrade the PB.

oh man, decisions decisions!!!!

anyway, just thought i'd keep u all updated....:cry:ry: