Telewest Broadband Announces Speed Boost

until ADSL2 has completed testing in the UK, the most you can get on ADSL is 8mb/s. Which I currently have, for ?30 a month. With ADSL2 (shouldn't be too far off), download speeds up to 24mb/s will be possible.

586360734[/snapback]

Only IF you're withing 1km cable length of an enabled exchange...:DD

Besides, IIRC, ADSL has a contention ratio of 50:1. Telewests is 20:1. Even comparing both at 2mb, cable is faster:DD

Anyway... OMGZ!!! I'M GONNA HAVE 10MB DOWNSTREAM!!!!1111ONEONEELEVEN!!

Great.. Now I've gotta buy a 500gb HD!! :yes::

Only IF you're withing 1km cable length of an enabled exchange... :D

Besides, IIRC, ADSL has a contention ratio of 50:1.  Telewests is 20:1.  Even comparing both at 2mb, cable is faster :D

Anyway... OMGZ!!! I'M GONNA HAVE 10MB DOWNSTREAM!!!!1111ONEONEELEVEN!!

Great.. Now I've gotta buy a 500gb HD!!  :yes:

586360881[/snapback]

Thats 1028Kbp/s lmao :woot:

erm...it's ?>35, that would be roughly ?50 /$63  USD/$75 CAD

586360852[/snapback]

ahh thanks for all the conversion!

I actually pay 65$ CAD for a 6mbps connection

well the company I work for pays for it hehehe

I'd pay 10$ more for a 10mb:yes:es:

Huh? What are you talking about?

586360990[/snapback]

I think he is talking about the transfer rate on a 10mb/s connection, i think the download rate should be around 1250kb/s.

I think he is talking about the transfer rate on a 10mb/s connection, i think the download rate should be around 1250kb/s.

586361055[/snapback]

Yeah sorry I didn't make myself very clear :(

Here's a thought....

I'm not sure about the Webstar modems but I'm pretty sure the Motorola Surfboard modems (3100/4100/4200) that Telewest used to provide won't support anything near 10Mb. Aww, I don't want mine replaced. It's been a reliable companion over the years.

586360652[/snapback]

the surfboard 4200 is rated up to 8mbit connection, ive moved out of the Telewest area up here in scotland :( i had to go back to DSL (8mbit coming in October with my ISP Eclipse Internet), i miss my cable :cry: :cry:

i cant wait im on the 4mgbs connection just now with blueyonder and pay ?50 per month so im going to be getting a faster connection plus its not capped and im only going to be paying ?35 from october ye ha!!!!!!

Blueyonder use super fast fiber cabling not the standard copper crap. This means they are able to support much higher speeds and uncapped download amounts. I once had 10 MBiT for 24 hours in a glitch and i was able to download from a usenet server at a constant rate of 1,200 KB/s, with the 10 meg : 384k ratio so i cannot see this causing problems. The simple fact is if their network couldnt support it they wouldn't bring it in. For the record i have a Scientific Atlanta Webstar DPX100 Modem

Blueyonder use super fast fiber cabling not the standard copper crap. This means they are able to support much higher speeds and uncapped download amounts. I once had 10 MBiT for 24 hours in a glitch and i was able to download from a usenet server at a constant rate of 1,200 KB/s, with the 10 meg : 384k ratio so i cannot see this causing problems. The simple fact is if their network couldnt support it they wouldn't bring it in. For the record i have a Scientific Atlanta Webstar DPX100 Modem

586361222[/snapback]

thats the same modem as me, It's been very reliable over the years, and I wouldn't mind if they gave me a new one, because the newer ones shouldnt be much different but they'd be more up to date and I think they're black which would match my comp case:P

blueyonder are not adsl :p  :ninja:  :ninja:  :ninja:

586360767[/snapback]

Please don't mock me, it is against the board rules. I know blueyonder is not ADSL. Read my post. I was quoting someone who said that no ADSL company would offer 10mb/s uncapped for ?35. I pointed out that a) it's impossible at the moment and b) they are already offering 8mb/s uncapped for ?30 a month.

Only IF you're withing 1km cable length of an enabled exchange..:D:D

Besides, IIRC, ADSL has a contention ratio of 50:1.  Telewests is 20:1.  Even comparing both at 2mb, cable is faste:D:D

586360881[/snapback]

Yeah, that's the thing with ADSL, distance and line quality. Although I live about 1km away from my exchange I don't always get the full 8mb/s, because my line isn't the best quality. About contention ratio, 50:1 is only if you're using BT equipment at the exchange. At the moment, the only 8 meg providers are using their own equipment (undundled exchanges). I'm not sure about all providers, but my contention ratio is 33:1.

If cable was available in my area, I'd definitely plump for that.

With DSL it is not how far away from the exchange you reside as the crow flies but as how the cable is laid in the local loop, it does not neccessarily follow the street routes (can be zig zagged back and forth)

regardless of what Telewest use as optics on the backbone sk8er_boi6000, the cable that comes from the backbone subsection into the residential property is Copper Coax cable. (my mate works for telewest as an installation engineer).

This will dictate the quality of connection as it would be the last connection to the network. It can easily support up to 10mbit and is expandable to the 100mbit limit if so required.

Cable is superior i have personal experience of both methods and would go back to cable in a shot if Telewest could supply me again in my new home :(

Edited by Mando

Yep. But I bet they still have some sort of cap.

This is what I love about Blueyonder

"All the tiers will remain free of usage limitations, following

research* showing consumers' confusion over bandwidth caps. The company

believes its unlimited policy continues to give customers peace of mind and

the ability to get the most out of rich media content"

Again, one of the only broadband isp's that speaks sense. Five (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) from me.

586360620[/snapback]

make that two, as bulldogdsl are the same, then dont cap download limit or moan about excessive users. :shifty:

thats the same modem as me, It's been very reliable over the years, and I wouldn't mind if they gave me a new one, because the newer ones shouldnt be much different but they'd be more up to date and I think they're black which would match my comp case:P

586361251[/snapback]

I would like a new modem too. Mine is acting all screwy. Even if i connect it to my Router or my PC, the PC light flashes yet the modem operates fine :blink:

regardless of what Telewest use as optics on the backbone sk8er_boi6000, the cable that comes from the backbone subsection into the residential property is Copper Coax cable. (my mate works for telewest as an installation engineer).

This will dictate the quality of connection as it would be the last connection to the network. It can easily support up to 10mbit and is expandable to the 100mbit limit if so required.

Cable is superior i have personal experience of both methods and would go back to cable in a shot if Telewest could supply me again in my new home :(

586361495[/snapback]

Well my main point was that Blueyonder's network is more than capable but i didn't realise that. Thanks for the heads up :)