Wear your damn cap straight!

No bigger picture. If an employer has a dress code, you follow it or you're gone.

Simple as that.

I agree with this, on both points.

#1. It's idiotic, whoever does it.

#2. If my employer tells me I have to wear my hat straight or go home, I wear my hat straight.

586362761[/snapback]

Exactly. The guy who signs the paycheck is the boss.

I think that dismisses the "only because of hip-hop argument." lol

586362763[/snapback]

But we all know these modern players are doing it because of that. If you ask any of them why they do it, it's going to wind up being because they like the style. Just like the flattened bills are also the style.

In the larger scheme of things, however, players have been rotating their caps to varying degrees ever since early catchers figured out that their masks would fit more easily if they turned their caps backward. Look through old baseball photos and you'll even spot the occasional Crew Askew forefather, such as Max Carey, Rabbit Maranville (whose 3 o'clock cap was apparently something of a signature style), and Fred Clarke (whose cap swung both ways, and eventually was immortalized on his Hall of Fame plaque). More recently, Ken Griffey drew Buck Showalter's ire for turning his cap backward during batting practice. And then there's the whole rally cap phenomenon.

I think that dismisses the "only because of hip-hop argument." lol

If it weren't the current trend in hip hop, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. It's as simple as that and using any other excusesdoesn't cover up the obvious reasoning.

Your logic is flawed, confusing a backwards cap and music is very very wrong.

So because someone, no matter what race, sex, religion or whatever they are or who they are. are hip hop fans becasue they wear there cap backwards? please help me understand.

When they put on the uniform, they represent their organization just like the guy wearing a McDonald's polo and visor represents McDonalds. All corporations and businesses have a dress code and those that have a uniform also have strict rules regarding their uniform. If I have to dress appropriately for $9 an hour, these guys can do the same for a lot more money.

586362751[/snapback]

There sports players not boyscouts, i agree they have to look decent, but man you try looking all fresh and clean after sliding for home or when trying to steal second base.

Your logic is flawed, confusing a backwards cap and music is very very wrong.

So because someone, no matter what race, sex, religion or whatever they are or who they are.  are hip hop fans becasue they wear there cap backwards? please help me understand.

There sports players not boyscouts, i agree they have to look decent, but man you try looking all fresh and clean after sliding for home or when trying to steal second base.

586362771[/snapback]

Wow, talk about reading too much into my point. If you look at the guys who do it today, you're going to see, mostly, younger players who are influenced by hip hop which can easily be seen by their choice of stadium music, locker room music, and social attire. I never said it's because of the music they like, becase we both know Hip Hop is far from being just about what kind of music a person listens to.

When sliding or making a play, it's obvious a player may get quite messy. However, what's their excuse when they first come out of the dugout? The walk up the stairs a real challenge or something? Again, if my bosses tell me to dress a certain way, I have to just like they do.

I don't think any of the players' teams have told them not to. At least according to the article (with the exception of Herr Steinbrenner's authoritarian regime :p). I'm sure if the owners cared enough they would but obviously it's not a big deal in their eyes either.

586362787[/snapback]

ESPN's Peter Gammons reported last year, for example, that the Blue Jays told Orlando Hudson to keep his cap centered (which perhaps explains why Hudson is also one of the rare players to wear a double-flap helmet).

No bigger picture. If an employer has a dress code, you follow it or you're gone.

Simple as that.

I agree with this, on both points.

#1. It's idiotic, whoever does it.

#2. If my employer tells me I have to wear my hat straight or go home, I wear my hat straight.

586362761[/snapback]

I don't think any of the players' teams have told them not to. At least according to the article (with the exception of Herr Steinbrenner's authoritarian regime :p). I'm sure if the owners cared enough they would but obviously it's not a big deal in their eyes either.

Exactly. The guy who signs the paycheck is the boss.

Agree, to an extent. BUT there are no current restriction in the MLB as to how a player should wear his cap. If the team owner wants to toss and/or fine the player for not wearing his cap "right" he will lose.

But we all know these modern players are doing it because of that. If you ask any of them why they do it, it's going to wind up being because they like the style. Just like the flattened bills are also the style.

586362775[/snapback]

Your stereo typing bro, and that is scary.

Agree, to an extent. BUT there are no current restriction in the MLB as to how a player should wear his cap. If the team owner wants to toss and/or fine the player for not wearing his cap "right"  he will lose.

Your stereo typing bro, and that  is scary.

586362796[/snapback]

Stereotyping? Um, rethink the definition of the word and get back to me. I am not doing that, at all. The part you quoted is me simply saying how the off center and flattened bills are the current trend in the hip hop community and the style has spilled onto the playing field. Just like a bastball players jersey has to be tucked in and a football player can't wear a dew rag, there are dress codes to be followed. While some organizations are going to let it go, I'm more than glad that others have made a stance against it.

If a player doesn't listen to a team owner, he'll be gone. It's quite simple. Traded, designated for assignment, sent to the minors (if they haven't been in the league too long), or whatever, he'll be off the team.

OK and he did. So if the owners start becoming George-like and the guys don't follow orders let them change it or get fined. But except for that I don't see why we should care.

If the team owner wants to toss and/or fine the player for not wearing his cap "right"? he will lose.

586362796[/snapback]

Not necessarily. George gets away with the no facial hair thing and I'm pretty sure that's not an MLB rule lol.

edit> Sorry for the double post.

I just realized maybe you meant the player will lose. Well yeah that I could see though I'm sure the players' union would be in an uproar.

If it weren't the current trend in hip hop, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

586362751[/snapback]

you cant blame hip hop. Too many people blame hip hip for problems in the world just like they blame video games also. People are going do what they want to do, is it really a problem with the hats.

if people fuss about a hat off to the side a little then terrorist have won :laugh:

Stereotyping? Um, rethink the definition of the word and get back to me. I am not doing that, at all. The part you quoted is me simply saying how the off center and flattened bills are the current trend in the hip hop community and the style has spilled onto the playing field. Just like a bastball players jersey has to be tucked in and a football player can't wear a dew rag, there are dress codes to be followed. While some organizations are going to let it go, I'm more than glad that others have made a stance against it.

If a player doesn't listen to a team owner, he'll be gone. It's quite simple. Traded, designated for assignment, sent to the minors (if they haven't been in the league too long), or whatever, he'll be off the team.

586362825[/snapback]

But how can you prove for sure that hiphop is the reason they flatten there bills and wear there caps other than forwards?

if people fuss about a hat off to the side a little then terrorist have won  :laugh:

586362834[/snapback]

:laugh: This topic needed some humor lol. It's a silly debate to begin with and it's become waaay too serious here.

you cant blame hip hop. Too many people blame hip hip for problems in the world just like they blame video games also. People are going do what they want to do, is it really a problem with the hats.

if people fuss about a hat off to the side a little then terrorist have won  :laugh:

586362834[/snapback]

But how can you prove for sure that hiphop is the reason they flatten there bills and wear other than forwards?

586362838[/snapback]

The origin of their style was only my point since the article mentions how its a legitmate thing for one player. I could care less where they get their fashion sense from, but there's a time and a place and the playing field is neither. Put on the uniform, wear it appropriately, and worry about looking cool/good/stylish after the game.

But how can you prove for sure that hiphop is the reason they flatten there bills and wear there caps other than forwards?

586362838[/snapback]

True

Rabbit_Maranville_Baseball.jpg

i dont think there was hip hop back in his day.

The origin of their style was only my point since the article mentions how its a legitmate thing for one player. I could care less where they get their fashion sense from, but there's a time and a place and the playing field is neither. Put on the uniform, wear it appropriately, and worry about looking cool/good/stylish after the game.

586362857[/snapback]

Well you and i will never see eye to eye on this one, but i respect your opinion.

As flawed as i may see it becasue of the fact that you can't prove the reason there doing so that you say they are, i respect it.

586362857[/snapback]

or dont worry about what the person looks like, and just watch the game.

or dont worry about what the person looks like, and just watch the game.

586362885[/snapback]

I'll make sure to tell my customers and bosses that next time I go to work.

586362894[/snapback]

I work part time at a Bed Bath and Beyond here in Seattle. Our dress code is fairly relaxed, im able to show my tattoss openly to my customers, bosses, and fellow co-workers. Noone complains, and it strikes up good conversations.

I'm also allowed to wear baggy clothing if i choose to do so, but being the fact that im 26 and have grown up some what i don't dress as immaturely, relaxed, but failry presentable. My jeans are all cut at the cuffs, i wear Nikes, and whatever types of shirts (as long as it isn't racist)

586362894[/snapback]

Baseball and a business career don?t have the same structure! Period.

Tell your customers: If you have a job like a lawyer or a desk job in a business you can?t wear your hat sideways and wear sun glasses, your clients and boss would think that you?re not being serious. So what customers does a baseball player have? Their fans are the closet thing to a customer, so, they don?t have look like a lawyer should etc. Like I said above, it?s just a different structure of how it works.

Baseball and a business career don?t have the same structure! Period.

Tell your customers: If you have a job like a lawyer or a desk job in a business you can?t wear your hat sideways and wear sun glasses, your clients and boss would think that you?re not being serious.  So what customers does a baseball player have? Their fans are the closet thing to a customer, so, they don?t have look like a lawyer should etc.  Like I said above, it?s just a different structure of how it works.

586363029[/snapback]

Boss signs paycheck, boss makes rules. Very similar system actually.

Boss signs paycheck, boss makes rules. Very similar system actually.

586363082[/snapback]

the boss can tell the players what ever he wants, but that doesnt make baseball and a bussiness postion the same, maybe on how the paycheck gets to you, but otherwise its very different.

True

Rabbit_Maranville_Baseball.jpg

i dont think there was hip hop back in his day.

586362858[/snapback]

Got any of him wearing it like that out on the field? I believe wearing a cap like that in the dugout is called a "ralley cap".

Then again, if it's ok in the dugout (still kinda within the fans' views), then why isn't ok on the field?

Before you know it, all the players will have a mouth full of gold, will be wearing their pants off their asses and doin a "ghetto walk" out onto the field... Keepin it GANGSTA.. (that's sarcasm ;))

Got any of him wearing it like that out on the field? I believe wearing a cap like that in the dugout is called a "ralley cap".

Then again, if it's ok in the dugout (still kinda within the fans' views), then why isn't ok on the field?

Before you know it, all the players will have a mouth full of gold, will be wearing their pants off their asses and doin a "ghetto walk" out onto the field... Keepin it GANGSTA.. (that's sarcasm ;))

586363113[/snapback]

well theres a line, and waring your hat a little sideways isnt crossing it.