Wear your damn cap straight!

Salaries aren't a problem in a sport that people actually watch ;)

586363738[/snapback]

I was watching Business of Sports they were discussing it, MLB has a smaller fan base than the NFL and also creates less revenue, but pays its players more, how long do you think they will be able to continue going with player salaries increasing every year and no cap to prevent them from reaching a max. Eventually after this CBA expires they will need to address this problem, and if you don't believe that your kidding yourself.

Edit: funny how you didn't say anything about the steriod issue i mentioned :p

I was watching Business of Sports they were discussing it, MLB has a smaller fan base than the NFL and also creates less revenue, but pays its players more, how long do you think they will be able to continue going with player salaries increasing every year and no cap to prevent them from reaching a max.  Eventually after this CBA expires they will need to address this problem, and if you don't believe that your kidding yourself.

Edit: funny how you didn't say anything about the steriod issue i mentioned tongue.gif

586363758[/snapback]

Hey, as long as the sport is played and viewership/attendance continues to rise, they will be able to maintain the salaries. Also, eventually someone won't offer the money and they will level out. Hell, this year, the Yankees are set to break 4 million tickets sold at home. That was not even close to being the case a few years ago.

As for the steroids, it's an issue they are now handling and we just have to wait it out a bit. It was a problem and hurt the game, but anyone who thinks it only happens in baseball is complete disillusioned.

It happens in other leagues, they don't ignore it as much as baseball. For instance in Tennis the 10th set in the world has been suspended for 2 years for his first offense. Look at FIFA and their drug policies. The fact someone like Giambi how as admitted using steriods hasn't suffered any sort of penality from it shows that baseball is turning a blind eye towards usage and its stars. Anyways it's best me and you start a different thread to talk about these issues and let this one get back on topic

It happens in other leagues, they don't ignore it as much as baseball.  For instance in Tennis the 10th set in the world has been suspended for 2 years for his first offense.  Look at FIFA and their drug policies.  The fact someone like Giambi how as admitted using steriods hasn't suffered any sort of penality from it shows that baseball is turning a blind eye towards usage and its stars.  Anyways it's best me and you start a different thread to talk about these issues and let this one get back on topic

586363800[/snapback]

Oh, I know, but they are actually working on a tougher policy that Selig hopes to get approved. Giambi admitted his wrongs, suffered his humliation, and has worked his way back cleanly. He was the only one to not lie, so far, so he's probably the best example of reform in the league.

It's obviously a fashion show.  When the rules are broken, even just ever so slightly ... people argue and get annoyed about it, which turns into such a petty argument it's quite laughable.

Aside from the big fashion show - it's a game! Probably designed to have fun and to be played by anyone.  Even the ones that would like to bend the rules in how they should look...they shouldn't be excluded from having the chance to play to their best..., and they are obviously their own boss; not just the guy who signs the paychecks.  These players are the ultimate boss who makes the ultimate decisions.  Please don't make it sound as if someone owns them because of money.

586363330[/snapback]

I agree with the first half of your post, but as for the second part I don't completely agree. That's like saying I'm the boss at my workplace because ultimately I decide if I have to follow the rules there or not... Once the players sign that contract, they are (basically) the property of that team. They have to follow the rules set forth for them or they get fined, fired or traded. Free agents are a different story, but then the owner of the team can basically tell the guy to take a hike whenever he wants.

On a lighter note, it's just a hat. If he were to come out on the field with his shirt untucked and his pants hangin off his ass and runnin around the field pullin his pants up like a freakin moron who's never heard of a belt - that might be a different story. But a hat askewed a little to the side, no big deal.

Which reminds me of a story I just read in the local paper regarding the new dress code at all of the schools here. If a kid is caught wearing his pants too baggy (hangin off his ass), the school will give him a belt to hold his pants up on the first offense. Repeat offenses will result in after school detention, ISS, and, eventually (depending on how lenient the school is) 2 weeks suspension. I have to say I completely agree with this rule. There's no need for someone to wear their pants so loose that they can't stay up. No one wants to be forced to look at your crusty ass underwear. Some people will say that they're being too harsh on the kids and that the kids are just trying to "express themselves". Well, when I was in high school I wanted to express myself too by wearing my hat inside the school buildings, but that was against the rules so I didn't. Why is it so hard for people to just suck it up and follow such simple rules? Because it makes you feel "uncool"? Gimme a break...

I'm not feeling how everyone is saying "They're disrespecting the game by wearing their uniform unappropriately" and etc.

The creators of the game, do you really think while they were developing it they decided that you can only wear your hats forward? Hell no, they just thought it was a fun game to play that many would enjoy for years on end (maybe they didn't think it would last as long as it did but still).

Pretty much what I'm saying here is, the world is taking everything a little uptight. Everyone wants to try to say it's "all about the game". It's not like he edited his jersey in anyway or anything, he WEARS HIS HAT SIDEWAYS. I seriously doubt MLB would lose money because people wear their hats sideways, or would like a jersey bigger. I just couldn't see people saying anything like "I don't respect baseball anymore, they're letting people wear their hats sideways".

29 and your a hasbeen? Being a bit harsh on yourself, no? lol

586363719[/snapback]

lol, hasbeen as in there arent any organizations for me anymore besides softball. My highschool sporting days are over

I hate it when people have their hats sideways. Backwards is fine with me. I have also noticed that a lot have a sticker on the hat, I hate that too. :D

I hate it when people have their hats sideways. Backwards is fine with me. I have also noticed that a lot have a sticker on the hat, I hate that too. :D

586364183[/snapback]

Like I said, we shouldn't care what people do off the field. Backwards (as I wear it), forwards, sideways, whatever, but on the field, there should be some class.

When I made the comment referring to the basketball uniforms I meant in the context of taking it too far, i.e. with the uniforms in basketball compared to the cap in baseball. Old fashioned uniforms in baseball were always pretty baggy (at least the pants) but the shirts were usually a decent size and tucked in. They also had the stockings to keep the pants from bunching up around their shoes, so that wasn't a problem either.

Man, talking about looking for a bone to pick. I think there's more a of a problem of guys wearing huge pillows on their elbow at-bat than wearing a hat slightly crooked. I mean, it's not like these dudes are wearing it SIDEWAYS, it's just a little off-center.

Why not bring up the NBA and their below-the-knee shorts?

And as far as I know, none of those players mentioned in the article have been busted for steroids or half-ass it when they play. Juan Pierre, Torii Hunter, Mike Cameron...are you kidding me? Quality guys and good baseball players.

Number 1:

When the hell can anybody tell another human how they should wear a cap?

Bottomline

Number 2:

I dont own the company i work for and they want thigns a certain way. If the peoples who sign your multi-million dollar checks you have no reason to argue and comply with-in reason. And when i mean reason a "crooked hat" is something you can comply to.

I was watching Business of Sports they were discussing it, MLB has a smaller fan base than the NFL and also creates less revenue, but pays its players more, how long do you think they will be able to continue going with player salaries increasing every year and no cap to prevent them from reaching a max.  Eventually after this CBA expires they will need to address this problem, and if you don't believe that your kidding yourself.

Edit: funny how you didn't say anything about the steriod issue i mentioned  :p

586363758[/snapback]

Yeah but the old apples to oranges applies here as well.

An NFL team has to pay 65 guys I think as well as guys they keep on a practice squad. The salaries have to be spread out such that key positions cost money (QB, RB, WR, DE, CB) but you still have to pay linemen and safeties and special teams guys.

An NFL team is only guaranteed 8 homes games. They charge an arm and a leg to go to one because its their main source of revenue and since they are only played on Sundays people feel a little pressured to go to the game if the opportunity arises. If I can't get to next Friday's Cubs game I'll just try and go Saturday, or Sunday. If I can't get to the Bears week 4 games they'll be back in 2 weeks but who knows what might be going on then.

I agree they will need a cap at some point and to some extent like the NHL they WILL need a basement because of owners like in KC, PIT, TB, etc.

Another comparison is the NBA which only has to employ 12 active players and a guy like Latrell complains about $15 mil and a guy like Shaq is getting $30 mil and rookies come in making $5 mil. People that gripe about ARod should remember Shaq gets more and Pujols makes less than Latrell? It's all upside down and I've now ranted waaaay off topic.