Google's Jabber Server Works

i'm more interested in a google software like trillian or miranda, rather than yet another username i have to remember.

i'm sure they'll let you use your gmail account to log into it; after all, i use msn with my @gmail.com username; so its kinda pointless having another google username.

a nice, clean, open source client with a few bells and whistles, avatars, and not a memory hog would be just what we need since microsoft messenger sux, miranda is good but a big scanty, trillian is a memory hog; and the others arent worth mentioning.

gmessenger

gtalk

whatever.

The @gmail.com is only used for gmail. If you use other Google features, such as Google Groups, then you only use your username not @gmail.com.

Since everyone who has Gmail has a Google account by default, I'm sure they will use the username for their talk service.

i'm more interested in a google software like trillian or miranda, rather than yet another username i have to remember.

i'm sure they'll let you use your gmail account to log into it; after all, i use msn with my @gmail.com username; so its kinda pointless having another google username.

a nice, clean, open source client with a few bells and whistles, avatars, and not a memory hog would be just what we need since microsoft messenger sux, miranda is good but a big scanty, trillian is a memory hog; and the others arent worth mentioning.

gmessenger

gtalk

whatever.

586421132[/snapback]

Most Jabber clients, by default, have the ability to use Jabber's transports. The transports are what allows it to connect to other clients. Everything, the buddy list, conversations are stored on the server. If Google has these (or similar) transports enabled, we will be able to use the other services. Remember, this is probably going to be heavily modified, so Google might have created its own transports for whatever. I'm sure there will be some integration with Gmail and searching and possibly even Google Desktop Search

---- +++ alienvenom@talk.google.com/GoogleIM signed on @ 2005-08-23 15:16:24 ----

It's working again. I changed my Resource to "GoogleIM".

Not sure if that makes a difference or not...

I'm gonig to try to do more stuff, too.

I have a screenshot for all of your viewing pleasure. It appears that Google isn't allowing us to add users.

I'm not the only one that can connect, too:

googlejabbers.jpg

My Google IM name is alienvenom@gmail.com. In the screen shot I tried to add a user from another jabber server (one of jabber's general features) and it didnt work! That's why you see Not authorized.

Edited by Alien Venom

To log in:

Jabber Server: talk.google.com/GoogleIM

Username: your gmail/google username

Pass: your gmail/google password

im on it and it works :)

Just what we need, another IM service to fragment the market even more. I honestly can't see Google Talk being wildly successful. Everyone is already entrenched with their current IM service and unlike e-mail, you can't just switch on your own. Everyone you talk to needs to switch as well, or there's no point. So while I'm sure Google Talk will be popular among the nerds who love everything Google, I don't see it having too much success beyond that.

Just what we need, another IM service to fragment the market even more.  I honestly can't see Google Talk being wildly successful.  Everyone is already entrenched with their current IM service and unlike e-mail, you can't just switch on your own.  Everyone you talk to needs to switch as well, or there's no point.  So while I'm sure Google Talk will be popular among the nerds who love everything Google, I don't see it having too much success beyond that.

586422075[/snapback]

Jabber supports multiple protocols (MSN, AIM, IRC, YAHOO) all at the server level, so users could just switch.