Google's Jabber Server Works

Are you sure your client just hasn't refreshed? Sign off and back on if you think you're "still online." :-P

586422460[/snapback]

i was disconnected and tried and logged in signed off couple of times and it sign ons perfectly :yes:

Mine is still going strong. Just used my gmail address. Resource GoogleIM. Server talk.google.com

For those trillian users ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Working here. Been logged in for about 20 minutes and talked to my girlfriend over it.

Adium .83

586422498[/snapback]

lol its still Jabber I dont know why we suddenly started using it lol :laugh:

lol its still Jabber I dont know why we suddenly started using it lol  :laugh:

586422518[/snapback]

is there anything special or cool about jabber(I don't know much about it)? Why didn't Google just come up with it's own protocol?

Maybe this is just the spark Jabber needs. There is no doubt it is technically superior to any other services out there and its definitely the most open. Especially when combined with a real Jabber client, not Gaim or whatever.

TheWitePony, http://www.jabber.org/about/overview.shtml

Most importantly is that you choose the server you connect to, but I like offline messaging and the presence system.

is there anything special or cool about jabber(I don't know much about it)? Why didn't Google just come up with it's own protocol?

586422526[/snapback]

well i had few accounts on different jabber server but i never used it, there isnt anything special about jabber other than being open source :ninja:

http://www.smashsworld.com/2005/08/im-on-g...k-right-now.php

helpfull :)

edit:

How to set it up with GAIM on Windows/Linux, or Adium on the Mac:

-- For iChat, just enter the information above.

1. Add an account, select "Jabber" as the protocol.

2. Your screen name is everything before the '@gmail.com'.

3. Server is 'gmail.com'.

4. Click "show more options" and make sure "use TLS if available" is checked. Leave "Force old SSL" and "allow plaintext..." unchecked for now. Connection port should be 5222, connection server should be 'talk.google.com' without the quotes.

5. Ta-da! Just login and you should be good-to-go.

-- TRILLIAN USERS: Someone just told me that they got it working with Trillian, but I can't verify this. Just go to Trillian's plugin page on their site and download the Jabber plug-in, install it, and configure a new connection as below:

"server : talk.google.com

port : 5222

Use legact SSL for connection : not checked"