Google Talk's very first secrets

Now i see the debug setting (in Resedit) but... how i now were i neeed to create a button to go to the debug options?

or is not possible?

586427490[/snapback]

Adding a button is easy but before you do that you hve to find the button code.

See my explanation and the button codes that I have figured out so far here:

http://initialdawn.spooted.com/drupal/?q=node/8

Thanks PT, this program really isn't ready to be released yet is it :p

Where did you get that from? It sounds like something somebody made up to get friends :p

586425164[/snapback]

The game does exist... I played it. boring tho

I don't understand what all the excitement is all about. Google talk is lame, does not have many features you can find in other IM, like file transfer, video chat, icons and more.

They still have a lot of work to do on it :|

586426469[/snapback]

Its only beta..

Don't forget about "/prefetch=1" and "/superprefetch" to make google talk load even faster :D

586427540[/snapback]

lol

Don't forget about "/prefetch=1" and "/superprefetch" to make google talk load even faster :D

586427540[/snapback]

Thanks.

it'd be nice if there was a way to change the default browser it loads Gmail in. i use opera but it loads netscape.

586427572[/snapback]

It loads gmail in your computer's default browser. Setting opera as the default browser should do the trick.

586427540[/snapback]

The whole "/prefetch=1" thing is just a myth, it doesn't do anything for programs other then Windows Media Player

Myth - "Adding the /Prefetch:1 Switch to the executable startup path of a frequently used program will decrease the applications start up time."

Reality - "The /prefetch:# flag is looked at by the OS when we create the process - however, it has one (and only one) purpose. We add the passed number to the hash. Why? WMP is a multipurpose application and may do many different things. The DLLs and code that it touches will be very different when playing a WMV than when playing a DVD, or when ripping a CD, or when listening to a Shoutcast stream, or any of the other things that WMP can do. If we only had one hash for WMP, then the prefetch would only be correct for one such use having incorrect prefetch data would not be a fatal error - it'd just load pages into memory that'd never get used, and then get swapped back out to disk as soon as possible. Still, it's counterproductive. By specifying a /prefetch:# flag with a different number for each "mode" that WMP can do, each mode gets its own separate hash file, and thus we properly prefetch. (This behavior isn't specific to WMP - it does the same for any app.) This flag is looked at when we create the first thread in the process, but it is not removed by CreateProcess from the command line, so any app that chokes on unrecognized command line parameters will not work with it. This is why so many people notice that Kazaa and other apps crash or otherwise refuse to start when it's added. Of course, WMP knows that it may be there, and just silently ignores its existence. I suspect that the "add /prefetch:1 to make rocket go now" urban legend will never die, though. I know that at least one major company ships products with it in their shortcuts, without ever asking us... just for good measure, I guess. :-P All it does is change your hash number - the OS is doing exactly the same thing it did before, and just saving the prefetch pages to a different file." - Source

No problem, just wanted to clear up a misunderstanding

586427612[/snapback]

Wasn't the guy that posted about prefetch joking? :o

Wasn't the guy that posted about prefetch joking?  :o

586427627[/snapback]

Even if he was, some people might not think that way... so better to clear it up now instead of letting people believe it actually speeds anything up

how exactly did you find those button codes?

586427721[/snapback]

See my answer here: http://initialdawn.spooted.com/drupal/?q=node/8 bottom of page.

or below:

I went and added 10 buttons to the tray menu and for each one made it a different button #

btn1 40000

btn2 40001

btn3 40002

and so on... from 40000 up to 40100

Compiled the scrpt saved the app, started it and tried out each button and code. Tedious but worth it.

Screenshot:

post-84891-1124933541.gif

so no luck on getting that hidden signin box up or anything? hm..oh well

586427790[/snapback]

Not that I found witin the numbers 40000 - 40100

Has anyone tried going further than 40100 for functions in the menu?

586427835[/snapback]

I havn't yet but I will in time if no one else wants to do it.. I am currently involved in many projects so Im always busy.

DigitalSnow

Anyone having trouble with the Inbox and Help links at the top of the main window? They don't do anything at all for me. The settings Link works, but not the other two. Any ideas?

Anyone having trouble with the Inbox and Help links at the top of the main window?  They don't do anything at all for me.  The settings Link works, but not the other two.  Any ideas?

586428065[/snapback]

The other two just open up your default web browser with urls.

Have you tried reseting your default browser?