Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic Review

What would you say the absolute best sound card is for pure music listening? I don't care too much about games, I just love music.

586550558[/snapback]

M-Audio Audiophile 2496 or E-Mu 0404 (both around ?90)

If you want to stay in a sane price range.

Edited by gaekwad2

I just got the X-Fi XtremeMusic. :p I've never heard anything better. It makes songs sound so much more clear and crisp. I thought the Crystalizer wasn't good at first since I had some other feature like EAX or CMSS on. I turned off and it sounded great. Definitely worth it. It has so many other features too, mostly software, but still. Great product. :)

I just got the X-Fi XtremeMusic. :p I've never heard anything better. It makes songs sound so much more clear and crisp. I thought the Crystalizer wasn't good at first since I had some other feature like EAX or CMSS on. I turned off and it sounded great. Definitely worth it. It has so many other features too, mostly software, but still. Great product. :)

586561354[/snapback]

what headphones / speakers are you using?

Sorry for double post, couldn't edit the message.

For people who get distortion with 100% Crystalizer, try turning on the EQ, set it to flat, and lower the master level on the right. Turn your speakers up until it's where you want and it should sound much better. :)

oh man raikou i could hug you :laugh: the distortion is gone! i just set the EQ to flat and didn't adjust the level and the distortion just disappeared. i'm running crystallizer at 100% now alright~ :D

edit: oh man its just my imagination. i tried turning it off and on but there's no difference. its 5am :laugh: but lowering the level as you said does reduce the distortion. i believe this is cause the crystallizer increases the song volume as well. so i guess its sort of over amplification.

Edited by SojIrOu

I'm glad it works! :D When I got it, I thought it was crap because CMSS was on, and I got that distorted noise. I turned the surround off and lowered the volume and sounded much better.

if you use stereo xpand the sound will become muffled and stuff but if you use stereo surround all the channels get the same sound. i recommend using game mode instead of entertainment because the stereo surround in game mode is purely upmixing the sound whereas the stereo surround in entertainment mode moves certain frequencies to the rear channel during the song.

oh wait didn't see that you have a 2.1. in that case its not worth touching CMSS. don't use it for headphone mode as well unless you're playing games. i've tried it in my review and music is just pure distortion.

Is there a noticable difference between the fatality and the Platinum?

586571001[/snapback]

nope. no noticable diffrence for now. Fatality consists the X-ram but you can find benchmarks where it shows X-ram doesnt provide any benifits at all. the DACs, chips are all the same.

Creative highend model is diffrent interms of better DACs which means much better music quality

• 2 weeks later...

so what the advantage of this x-fi compare to audigy 2 ZS..??

is it still 24bit 96khz in 5.1/7.1..????

im using audigy 2 ZS platinum with Creative T7700 7.1speaker ,CMSS surround, about a year and could somebody tell me whats the different if combine my speaker set with this x-fi with same configuration..???

love my sound system.... :rofl: hey,did you hear a bullet pass through near your ear?? :p

hmm the advantage is mainly when listening to music and using headphones for movies/games. also, with eax 5 i'm sure the newer games will sound better.

its still 24bit and all that so you don't have to worry.

i've got the t7700 too and for my case i use the "game mode" all the time and set the cmss surround to stereo surround (do not use stereo xpand or stereo surround in "entertainment mode" cause some instruments will move back and forth)

the major downside is the number of ports it has especially the xtrememusic. the sound output jacks are the same as the zs but the input has been reduced to 1. line in, microphone & digital all share one jack.

can't really say that i have if not i wouldn't do the review if i got pwned in CS source :laugh:

I may plan to buy this card over the Audigy 2 ZS. I just want to know, does the Crystalizer and the CMSS3D actually work? I hope it won't make the sound even faker like those mixer found in WMP10.

dL

Crystallizer works pretty well. I have it on at 75% all the time and lower the output level by 3.6 - 4.0dB so that it doesn't distort the sound (thanks to Raikou Tch for discovering this). The distortion is due to the Crystallizer which increases the volume leading to over amplification (the higher the level of Crystallizer, the louder sound and distortion you'll get)(although distortion happens to me on only one song and isn't a big problem)

CMSS 3D gives mixed results. you might want to experiment around with it for a while. i found that it distorts music in headphone mode but makes gaming/movie more realistic. also, in entertainment mode the CMSS Stereo Surround tends to cancel out certain instruments/frequencies in music in certain speakers and only plays it in some so you get a feeling of "surround". i personally don't enjoy this because the music quality suffers. i just stick to game mode and use Stereo Surround because it just upmixes to all my speakers. StereoXpand is just worthless so don't bother trying it :laugh: