Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic Review

I have an X-Fi Platinum and I use the crystallizer at 100% ..use CMSS-3D in stereo xpand at full surround on creative 5.1 sbs speaker set. and for those X-Fi users that run XP Pro X64 there are drivers available. and you can install the X-Fi software just as you can in 32bit XP.

just make sure you do a custom installation and uncheck where it says "Install Audio Drivers" ..ya don't want to install those pesky 32 bit drivers in 64bit XP :ninja:

the new driver update is available for 32 and 64bit XP and fixes a strange distortion problem some of you may be having, I know I did.

here are XP X64 updates for each of the X-Fi cards in case anyone is wondering. both 32bit and 64bit XP are supported by the driver updates, I'm not sure about the other software updates for creative mediasource.

XtremeMusic

Platinum

Fatal1ty

Elite Pro

I notice that in the pics your chip that has X0FI stamped on it doesnt have small heatsink. My extreme music came with a heatsink attached to the PU. Anyone any idea why?

I don't know why yours came with one, my platinum didn't come with one ..weird

I bought the x-fi platinum yesterday, and wow, amazing. from upgrading from a ancient sb live 5.1 digital, well the results are amazing.

i understand that the platinum and fatality cards use different drivers 2 the xtreme music, and then the elite pro has it own set.

Imo, the surround sound with the headphones thing is absolutely amazing. truly amazing, i cannot get over it.

if the track is bass heavy it can distort but i have the bass set to 80% so that maybe why.

i prefer audio entertainment mode the best it seriously rocks my ears.

And my JBL speakers now truly sound amazing. i now know why these speakers were expensive, because with the right sound card they sound truly outstanding.

and i paid ?100 for the platinum version, from PC world UK, and its ?133 on scan with PnP. so i bought one:D:D

i dunno if u get this piece of software with the extreme music version but its similar to windows media centre edition, and is awesome, and a pic is shown below:

post-95936-1133702801_thumb.jpg

it comes with all versions except for the xtrememusic as far as I know but it does look real sweet .. only one problem ..you can't manually load playlists .. you have to create the playlists in creative mediasource player before they're usable/playable in the entertainment center or whatever it's called. </blargh>

<edit>just to disprove all the non-believers that the X-Fi's don't have 64bit drivers, I included a pic of my ow:D:D..that's me and my family all ready for xmas! </edit>

post-61593-1133857056_thumb.jpg

Edited by STanger

because if u have a soundcard at ?100+, you probably have a case that is worth that much, and a mobo that is probably around the same value.

Taking that into consideration, you proably have 1 Firewire on the front of the Computer, 1 on the back of the mobo, so why another on the sound card, especially when the only firewire device is the ipod for music wise, and u might as well use USB2.0.

because if u have a soundcard at ?100+, you probably have a case that is worth that much, and a mobo that is probably around the same value.

Taking that into consideration, you proably have 1 Firewire on the front of the Computer, 1 on the back of the mobo, so why another on the sound card, especially when the only firewire device is the ipod for music wise, and u might as well use USB2.0.

well i use 3 firewire

1) firewire external HDD

2) ipod

3) video camera

I have some questions regarding to X-fi Music.

1. I have a passive cooler too on my APU, why some higher versions doesn't have?

2. Front bays (I/O drive) are sold separately, and can be connected to EX Music too?

3. In the speakers setings, there is a checkbox for "automatically swich to headphone mode, when headphone is connected" or something like that. How it works, I need a Front Bay for it?

4. How Can I use Line IN and Microfon simultaneusly? I have a TV Tuner, wich connects with an externel stereo cable to Line in, and I use Microphone too , with Skype . :)

Edited by `mano

1. I have no clue ..I'm curious about that myself

2. they are sold separately direct from creative and should connect to the xtrememusic w/ no issue..if you have a bunch of pins sticking up from the end of the card then you can connect a front bay.

3. not sure how it works but you do need the front bay (I/O Drive) for that ..there is a jack on all X-Fi audio cards called the "Flexijack". You can switch it from line in to mic using Audio Console.

4. for that you will need the front bay, however for best results programs like skype should be used with the X-Fi set to "Audio Creation Mode". You could connect the line in at the back of your computer from the TV tuner card to the X-Fi and use the "Line In/Mic 2 connection on the front bay.

hope this helps

1. I have no clue ..I'm curious about that myself

2. they are sold separately direct from creative and should connect to the xtrememusic w/ no issue..if you have a bunch of pins sticking up from the end of the card then you can connect a front bay.

3. not sure how it works but you do need the front bay (I/O Drive) for that ..there is a jack on all X-Fi audio cards called the "Flexijack". You can switch it from line in to mic using Audio Console.

4. for that you will need the front bay, however for best results programs like skype should be used with the X-Fi set to "Audio Creation Mode". You could connect the line in at the back of your computer from the TV tuner card to the X-Fi and use the "Line In/Mic 2 connection on the front bay.

hope this helps

Thanx for the answer, BTW, I managed to connect the tv tuner and the MIC too in the same time. I took a <CD rom to Sound card> stereo audio cable, (flat) , I cut one side, I put a stere jack instead, I connected to AUX to sound Card, and the jack I connected to TV Tuner. And voila I have free space for microfon in the flexijack.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my XtremeMusic and something is new (or as not been said here), a little heat sink is now on the X-Fi CPU.

So, mabe Creative found out that it can get hot....

HPIM1838.JPG

HPIM1844.JPG

This is the XtremeMusic and the Audigy2 ZS.

HPIM1847.JPG

Edited by TruckWEB

Okay, my installation of the XtremeMusic is getting harder than expected. After removing everything (uninstalled) drivers and software from my Audigy2 ZS, installing the new card and software, I get something wierd.

Everything seem to be okay, but when I try to play music (mp3 or whatever) and even video, the stream freeze every second... You can see it in the time counter, the song is not playing correctly, it pause every second. Same thing with Video. And that's using MediaPlayer because iTune don't output any sound and movie play well but no sound.

I'll do a fresh install of XP....

wtf.. i just buy a xfi xtrememusic card like 2 weeks ago and now they have updated ones with heatsinks? wow.. already outdated.. :(

ha, i have an idea, ill glue a 120mm fan to the CPU of the soundcard, GG!!!

Edited by Noxel

Okay... It works now! I don't know why?!

I've enable and disable Digital Out from the WinXP Mixer.... That's it... Rebooted and still work!

:wacko:

Sound realy good!

I've read on the creative forums that the newer batches of the card underwent a design change to maximise production or something and it affected the amount of heat it generates. If your card has a heatsink it means it runs at a higher temperature, just be happy that your x-fi card has no heatsink. Mine has no heatsink. :)

I've read on the creative forums that the newer batches of the card underwent a design change to maximise production or something and it affected the amount of heat it generates. If your card has a heatsink it means it runs at a higher temperature, just be happy that your x-fi card has no heatsink. Mine has no heatsink. :)

well, that made me feel better, thank you! :yes:

This card is without a doubt one of the better "gaming" soundcards available. Considering its price point is rather affordable, it really appeals to gamers. I have enjoyed using it for playing NFS:MW and watching some DVDs here and there. For some reason, Creative still is unable to release a soundcard with good enough performance for pure music listening. While the X-Fi series does an okay job at producing slightly clearer highs and better low output, it still lacks midrange. Everything just sounds so "digital". I hope Creative will release a better soundcard in the near future to compete against other music soundcards!

This card is without a doubt one of the better "gaming" soundcards available. Considering its price point is rather affordable, it really appeals to gamers. I have enjoyed using it for playing NFS:MW and watching some DVDs here and there. For some reason, Creative still is unable to release a soundcard with good enough performance for pure music listening. While the X-Fi series does an okay job at producing slightly clearer highs and better low output, it still lacks midrange. Everything just sounds so "digital". I hope Creative will release a better soundcard in the near future to compete against other music soundcards!

What cards do you recommend more for music listening than for gaming?

SojIrOu, I took a look at Creative's E-MU series, but they are more for they people who like to make music. M-Audio seams to have some nice cards without all those inputs for recording. The X-Fi seams like a great card and I know it has that EAX thing for surround sound in games. Does anybody know if the game Quake 3: Arena supports this?

Coolmonk, thanks for clarifying things. I don't really have the space for surround sound or the need for it since I have a dedicated home theater room downstairs, but I do enjoy listening to music a lot. What do you think about the M-Audio Revolution 5.1? I always have the option to upgrade to a 5.1 setup in the end? Oh btw, sorry for changing the subject from the Creative to M-Audio.

The X-Fi is actually more dynamic for music than the Rev 5.1 so if you're looking for decent sound, go for the X-Fi. M-Audio gets better if you are considering the Audiophile 192 soundcard ($200).

If I were to hook an x-fi card up to lets say the logitech z-5500 via analog. Would I notice any difference in sound quality if I were to hook the card up via optical instead of analog??