Do games promote violence?

I say no, if anything it helps me get hurting ppl out of my system. tho sometimes i think if i had a railgun i would feel better sometimes :evil:

They don't imo. I think there is something wrong in a person's life if they let a game influence them. A game should be entertainment.

In my case, Doom and Doom II helped a ton when I worked for a former employer. Things were so bad that I pictured my supervisor's head on the shoulders of all the monsters. I played in god mode with my bfg9000 and killed him every time I saw him. Kept me from wishing I could do the same in real life and I left when my 401k was fully vested.

:D:D:D:D:D

anita

NO.

it all depends on how you were raised. basically, if something bad happens, it's the parents fault. not any stupid video game. except people don't want to put the blame on themselves, that's why the look for excuses.

I think that violent video games are a rather safe way to release some of the pent up tensions of peoples everyday lives. Its when people are not able to distinguish reality from a game (due to upbringing or other social/mental issues) that makes things dangerous. I play violent games and I've never been in so much as a fistfight :)

If the games do no explicitly tell you to go kill someone in your school, then no, they do not promote violence. It is just a matter of the player's mind that they do such things.

short of it? NO! I'm tired of games being a scapegoat. many many many kids/adolescents/adults play games without a violent side effect. Its only the weak ones that have problems already that get sucked into the game. I think its unfair to the rest of us SANE people when people accuse games for contributing to violence.

Not at all. Just because games can show violence does not mean that someone that plays that game is gonna come out and start shooting people, I mean, come on.

Originally posted by BroChaos

it all depends on how you were raised. basically, if something bad happens, it's the parents fault. not any stupid video game. except people don't want to put the blame on themselves, that's why the look for excuses.

Exactly.

If people werent taught the difference between a game/movie and real life then that is the fault of their parents/teachers/whatever. I could sit here and list hundreds of things that could be used as a scapegoat just as videogames have.

MAybe kids were so mentally depressed from things that happened with their priest.

Or little johnny sees footage of the war and decides to shoot his neighbor.

but of course we cant blame these "real life" problems. Its just congressmen and senetors looking for a vote and trying to find some issue that people dont know much about, and use it to their advantage.

If you let games influence you then your a weak minded person and that means you have mental issues. Games, music is not to blame for school shootings and what not! Parents should spend sometime with their kids and get to know who their kids are instead os just saying "I had no idea he was building bombs in his room, and all he ever did was play violent video games".....

There will ALWAYS be a percentage of people in this world that will be influenced by things. If a person can be influenced by a human why not games, movies etc. Lets face it, there are weak minded people in our world and whatever they come in contact with could potentialy lead to things. As a norm this does not happen because for the most part we all have a grip on reality. But no matter what, you will have your loose screws out there who do take things too much to heart.

i think everyone can agree with me, when i say CHILDREN are the most influential people on this earth.. children are influenced by everything from a stranger on the street to their next door neighbor. i dont know if any of you have realized, but the children of today are decades different than children of the past.. everything from action pact movies that de-sensitize us (to some children the world trade center blowing up on tv was no different than the movie they saw last night) to video games that glorify violence and "beating up".... are video games unhealthy.. not particularly, do they influence hell yes... does that mean videogames = bad, and should be blamed for kids going on killing sprees. hell no..

its the society that perpetuate the video games fault.... this society is very different than it was 50 years ago.. how likely would it have been for a high schooler to gun down classmates and teachers then...................... how likely is it now??..and i forget..how much did it cost to buy Grand theft Auto 3 then??...... it didn't exist....... go to the root of the problem. its not tv, its not video games, its not radio its not bad parenting its a culmination of all. its this society.. the biggest problems often have more than one source....

I have to agree with Concept some..where children are easily influenced. And I think wrestling is a far more influential force than video games, wherein, people can better reflect with the wrestlers, whereas in games, it's usually a lot harder to reflect with the characters.

Originally posted by DarkRyu

I have to agree with Concept some..where children are easily influenced. And I think wrestling is a far more influential force than video games, wherein, people can better reflect with the wrestlers, whereas in games, it's usually a lot harder to reflect with the characters.

EXACTLY that's why there is a game called the american army! to wash brains and then everybody will join the army!

sure, i think games can lead some to violence, but theres nobody there forcing u to play the games. u chose that type of entertainment. and you chose to imerse yourself into the game.

you let youself go as much as you want. imo u can pull away at any time. but u chose to keep playing that game, because its fun to you. YOU should be responsible for your acctions. NOT the people who provide the entertainment.