What is Light?

Yes but again does that explain for you what light is? What are these wave lengths - or in other words what do they consist of?

Sorry if I sound a bit anal on this, but this sort of stuff really interests me. (I mean I like to hear what most people know about them).

Surely it isn't enough to say light is a wavelenth and then be done with it? A wavelength is just a mathematical measurement. The question is, what is it measuring?

GJ

586631883[/snapback]

For me that is what explains it for me, so far. I think they consist of particles very very minute (sp?) particles. That is the best way i can interpret my understanding of light. It also is a form of energy.

Yes but again does that explain for you what light is? What are these wave lengths - or in other words what do they consist of?

Sorry if I sound a bit anal on this, but this sort of stuff really interests me. (I mean I like to hear what most people know about them).

Surely it isn't enough to say light is a wavelenth and then be done with it? A wavelength is just a mathematical measurement. The question is, what is it measuring?

GJ

Light is electromagnetic radiation with a wavelength that is visible to the eye (visible light) or, in a technical or scientific setting, electromagnetic radiation of any wavelength. The three basic dimensions of light (and of all electromagnetic radiation) are:

* intensity (or brilliance or amplitude, perceived by humans as the brightness of the light),

* frequency (or wavelength, perceived by humans as the color of the light), and

* polarization (or angle of vibration and not perceptible by humans under ordinary circumstances)

so imo there is no need to explain it further. it's a form of radiation.

Light is electromagnetic radiation with a wavelength that is visible to the eye (visible light) or, in a technical or scientific setting, electromagnetic radiation of any wavelength. The three basic dimensions of light (and of all electromagnetic radiation) are:

* intensity (or brilliance or amplitude, perceived by humans as the brightness of the light),

* frequency (or wavelength, perceived by humans as the color of the light), and

* polarization (or angle of vibration and not perceptible by humans under ordinary circumstances)

so imo there is no need to explain it further. it's a form of radiation.

586632021[/snapback]

well again, the text book definition can be said by anyone who looks it up, what is being sought here is other's personal explanation of what light is. raid517 is asking people's personal theories on how light interacts, effects object whether it be local, global, stellar, or interstellar.

Well that's not quite true. It is accurate to say that 'electromagnetic radiation at a wavelength visible to the human eye'. But that still does not say anything about what light is made of.

Let me rephrase the question. Is light a wave or a particle?

Again I would be very interested to hear everyones views on this.

GJ

Well that's not quite true. It is accurate to say that 'electromagnetic radiation at a wavelength visible to the human eye'. But that still does not say anything about what light is made of.

Let me rephrase the question. Is light a wave or a particle?

Again I would be very interested to hear everyones views on this.

GJ

586632533[/snapback]

It is a wave. It is a particle. But it's not both.

it is a quantized amount of energy that can be observed as a wave or a particle depending on the situation. It is made of energy. The energy is in such a state that it can be near or on the line where it is converted into matter, but can be converted back to energy instantaneously.

light is made up of photons, bosons that act as a wave when emited. they are emited when an electron performs a quantum leap over a band gap aka when it jumps from one energy level to the next or to be more exact when it falls from a higher level to a lower level.

That's better, but that still only says how it is produced and gives that product a name, it still does not in any sense say what light really is (what it is made of, how it interacts with the universe and so on) - which is what i am interested to people's most people's views on.

GJ

well light is made up of photons which are bosons meaning they dont react with normal matter in the sense that the particles dont. energy does hence solar collectors. my view of light well is that, what i have learned. my view of light speed and going faster than or reaching, well i htink its basically the way of the sound barrier, it will be broken through some means. yes i know that it would take an infinite amount of energy to propel an object of infinite mass but i still think that it is a matter of time before we do find a way to break it and make that statement false.

If you want to think about something kind of trippy - go outside in the middle of the day and look at a tree. What are seeing? The truth is what you're looking at, what you're seeing, is the sun. All the light that makes the shape of the tree is just a reflection of light originating from the sun. The tree is pretty much just an oddly-shaped, very crappy mirror. It's kind of hard to explain what I mean, but think about it long enough - you'll get what I'm saying. That tree is not emanating light - you're looking at the sun indirectly.

If you want to think about something kind of trippy - go outside in the middle of the day and look at a tree. What are seeing? The truth is what you're looking at, what you're seeing, is the sun. All the light that makes the shape of the tree is just a reflection of light originating from the sun. The tree is pretty much just an oddly-shaped, very crappy mirror. It's kind of hard to explain what I mean, but think about it long enough - you'll get what I'm saying. That tree is not emanating light - you're looking at the sun indirectly.

586644861[/snapback]

Isn't that obvious though?

I'd hope nobody thinks that objects suddenly start producing energy in the form of light when the sun's up.

You seem to be looking for an answer we cannot give - MonkeyClaw gave a pretty thorough answer to the question.

Light is not made of cheese afterall.

586644696[/snapback]

I am not looking for answers, I'm looking for individual people's opinions. Which is a different thing entirely. I already have my own very definate views on the subject.

GJ

I am not looking for answers, I'm looking for individual people's opinions. Which is a different thing entirely. I already have my own very definate views on the subject.

GJ

586645942[/snapback]

Well, that's the problem, we know what light is scientifically. Are you just doing a survey as to what other people think light is?

Light is a particle which has wavelike properties.

Light is electromagnetic radiation which comes in the form of photons (these carry packets of energy called quanta, which have NO mass, but DO have a momentum). There are several experiments you can do to show that Light has both Wave and Particle like properties.