Nikon D70s vs. Canon EOS 20D vs. Digital Rebel XT

I'm no pro I'm just an enthusiast who tries his best :)

But on the topic, the 350d is no 20d for body most definately as the 20d is magnesium alloy BUT it is very rigid and feels solid. The D70 feels a bit more solid BUT is using older and slower technology.

The only real reaosn anyone would pick the d70 over the 350 is if:

1) they have nikon lenses

2) they have overly big hands (not an issue really as there is a grip available for the 350)

Thanks.

Which one would be good for me?...is the 20D really worth spending money on...or will the 350D be just fine..

I want to be able to start...and go a long way...maybe 3 - 4 years with the camera until I buy a new one...so which one do you guys recommend?

20D vs. 350D.

I've compared them on dpreview, but I still can't seem to decide, and I need some owners/photographers insights.

Thanks

I'd recommend Canon EOS 350D, but as mrk said the Canon EOS 350D is newer but has a few less features compared to Canon EOS 20D the rest is on the strength of you pocket :p if you are still unsure mrk is the person to ask.

Both will provide the same image quality that's guaranteed 100% - You won't "miss" anything major if you choose the 350D unless you're a sports photographer because the 20D has a 5 fps buffer but then again for sports you're wanting a eos 1ds minimum :p

Yup that comparison is correct if all you need to do is use auto modes and jpeg format.

Using RAW is the way forward and that comparison uses iso200 on the 350 when it's lowest is 100 since the d50/d70 only go to 200.

But as the review said, for a beginner who wants nothing more than to print straight from camera day in day out the d50 is ideal but for those who want their photography to evolve they will most definitely want a workhorse that will delivers evolution as the photographer becomes accustomed to dSLR photography.

Also take note that the kit lens on the s50 is unchanged optically since the 300D came out so you will be much better off buying a different lens instead of the kit bundle.

I have the canon 24-85 USM II with mine and it is absolutely superb in every aspect.

For a similar to kit lens glass you should probably choose the sigma 18-50 EX DC f2.8 - VERY sharp, fast and very high quality lens at affordable price.

As a side note, the above review mentions the 450 applies less in camera processing by default in jpeg mode, this is generally a good thing because when you process images later you get less artifacting or colour imbalances or sharpening halos - MOt peeps process to adjust colour/remove sensor dust (something every dslr owner will end up doing) and crop images. With a heavily in camera processed image you will start to notice more noise as you process images and also artifacting so you'd end up using noise removal which takes away some image detail.

This is where RAW comes in, but that's a whole new area and something most people won't touch until they're familiar with their camera :) - Auto modes on raw is like dirving a rally car whilst learning :p - It's a fairly steep learning curve and quite different to jpeg shooting

• 2 weeks later...

The 350D is a very robust camera. I've taken over 12,000 shots with it.

Its had an unfortunate accident - when I fell whilst climbing next to a waterfall - the camera fell down some wet rocks - but never missed a beat.

Its been excellent - used in all conditions, from hot weather to pouring rain (and only 5C), day and night.

I use it nearlly every day - it keeps on going.

It is an excellent camera - like any dSLR buy good quality lenses..