Vista Build 5231 UNBAREABLY slow!

I installed Windows Vista Beta 2 Build 5231 last night, and it started up with the nice Aero translucent glass effects, then I started installing drivers for my Broadcom network card. I messed with the visual styles and changed it to classic, then back to glass, and the translucent effects were gone. I restarted, and still nothing. So I figured I would try to install the drivers for my NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (PCI) 256MB RAM, and then see if it worked. Also I should not that during this time it was also VERY slow, I told my friend about it who has a faster computer, and he said even on his it lags a bit, but on mine its unbelievable slow. If you drag a window, it moves in about 10 different blocks and very verry laggy, even on Classic style with small windows like the Windows Run dialog! I can't seem to get my Nvidia drivers to work properly, and all visuals are slow, as well as functions. If I look at my Task Manager, I have 41 processes with 4% CPU Usage, I have a total 1033840MB of RAM, and I have 644800MB availible with nothing running. My page file is set top 1309MB by default. PLEASE HELP ME!

Here are my computer specs:

Pentium 4 - 2.19 GHz

1.00GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (PCI) - 256MB memory

Windows Vista Beta 2 Build 5231

I realize, now that you will probably refuse to help me, because my friend is letting me try it out and write some applications for it. Please, have a heart and help me. I just want to try this out, and port some of my applications to it, and maybe try the glass APIs on them. THIS IS NOT THE LEAKED COPY!

Actually, it isn't. No, I MYSELF didn't get it legally, but my friend who is an MVP for Microsoft, got it from them legally.

586681565[/snapback]

In which case it should be 5231.winmain_idx02.051004-2010 and not 5231.winmain.050912-2020.

If you want to look at it that way, then yes. Doing it that way, eliminates the chances of faulty installations, as apposed to when you download, there's always a good chance.

half the kids on neowin running vista have a warezed version, who cares really. if your gonna be a dick to him just dont visit the vista beta forum, 90% of the problems people are having, they have a warezed version, yet they still get help here. Let a mod deal with it, not you.

half the kids on neowin running vista have a warezed version, who cares really. if your gonna be a dick to him just dont visit the vista beta forum, 90% of the problems people are having, they have a warezed version, yet they still get help here. Let a mod deal with it, not you.

586681628[/snapback]

/me agreas

PLEASE, if you have nothing better to add then ?BETA?, or ?Pirated leaked beta?, or any sarcastic comments of that such, THINK, your really not contributing to the topic so find somewhere else to spam

Can we just get back to what I posted and please help me? I've spent quite some time on this, and I'm not about to give up. It's not necessary to flame me, it's not going to solve anything. Do you have to be 18 to be a legal MVP so I can get this legal, because I am a developer, but I am only 16, and I'd like to put some of my most popular applications out come Vista release date.

Pirated leaked beta.

586681542[/snapback]

:laugh:

(Y)

Yah, he should email piracy@microsoft.com & tell them his whole sad story. They WILL Care. :rofl:

:wacko: Banzai :wacko: You really contributed a whole lot. :unsure: :no:

Whats wrong with pirating a beta copy of a beta?? ok technically its illegal, but to be honest if i was bill gates it would do more good than bad, more people testing it.. the only reason they don't make it public is because then it would have to be a proper, perfect demo. because more people would be intrigged to try it, the people who downlod this from "warez" sites, they obviously are interested enough to find and download it.

when someone says they have a illegal copy of the final retail version of Windows Vista then you can shout at them.

by the way i don't have Vista, i just couldn't be bothered, although i think it looks great.

I'd rather not refresh again have to see another thing about it being pirated. Thankyou Banzai for sticking up for me. Please, just give me some ideas on what I can do to solve this problem. I will do anything.

Can we just get back to what I posted and please help me? I've spent quite some time on this, and I'm not about to give up. It's not necessary to flame me, it's not going to solve anything. Do you have to be 18 to be a legal MVP so I can get this legal, because I am a developer, but I am only 16, and I'd like to put some of my most popular applications out come Vista release date.

586681641[/snapback]

What exactly do you need help with? Since you are a developer, you don't need any help with drivers, you are supposed to find the appropriate drivers yourself and install them accordingly.

Now speaking about the performance issue you are having. Basically, what you are asking is "help me with beta software that I probably uninstall when new build comes out".

My advice, if the problem is really that significant to you and you are planning on using this build, then just reinstall it! Because none of us can tell you how to make an early beta software with poor driver support run faster.

PLEASE, if you have nothing better to add then ?BETA?, or ?Pirated leaked beta?, or any sarcastic comments of that such, THINK, your really not contributing to the topic so find somewhere else to spam

586681668[/snapback]

Yes, but do we really need a new thread for every 13yr old trying out a leaked beta version of an upcoming operating system?

Well, I seem to have all the correct drivers except for my Nvidia, which I have tried that Longhorn Beta from Nvidia, which won't install, so I tried the latest XP release from them, it installs, but doesn't work, even still. I can't think of anything as to why it's so slow. My memory seems to be getting sucked by something.

I had the same problem with earlier builds (I haven't bothered to download this one--waiting for CTP). Anyhow, it turns out that Vista had the wrong driver for my processor. I found the appropriate driver online, installed in Vista, and viola! it worked like a charm. I'm running on an AMD, so this may not be the problem you're experiencing, but either way it probably is a driver issue. Try downloading new drivers for both your processor and your video card and see if that makes a difference.

when someone says they have a illegal copy of the final retail version of Windows Vista then you can shout at them.

586681680[/snapback]

I can and will shout at the pirates even now. If Microsoft wanted them to have it, they would make it available to the public.

And I'd also like to add that the people complaining about comments like mine are ALSO not helping the OP, so my advice would be to stop being hypocritical.

the problem is the graphics card. You need as a minimum a directx9 card which the fx range is not. The fx range cant do directx 9 properly and so visa errr vista will lag. Just disable themes for now and look at replacing your graphics card with a pci express card 7800 or 6800 should do the job if your preference is nvidia. Also bear in mind the drivers for visa err vista arnt 100% optomized yet so there will be some drivers issues.

586681722[/snapback]

It just doesn't support DirectX 9 correctly on Vista, or at all? Because I have no problems playing games that need DirectX 9.0 on Windows XP. So, I thought my GeForce FX 5500 would support it.