Texas Leapfrogs USC for #1

Texas surprise No. 1 in new BCS standings

October 24, 2005

MORRISTOWN, New Jersey (Ticker) - Southern California's 27-point road victory over Washington on Saturday apparently did not mean much to the computers.

In a huge surprise, Texas leapfrogged USC to take the top spot in the new Bowl Championship Series standings released Monday.

Last week, the Trojans held the top spot with a BCS average of .9923, but they slipped to .9756 even after routing the Huskies on the road, 51-24.

The Longhorns, who had been at .9591, moved up to .9763 to claim the top spot after routing Texas Tech at home, 42-17.

USC remained a comfortable No. 1 in both the Harris Interactive and USA Today polls, two of the BCS standings' three components, but had a computer average of just .940 compared to Texas' 1.00.

The .0007 margin between the teams is the slimmest difference between the top two teams in BCS standings history. The last time a team dropped from the top spot without losing was on November 16, 2002, when Miami overtook Ohio State.

Fellow unbeatens Virginia Tech (.9164), Georgia (.8679), Alabama (.8513) and UCLA (.8513) comprise the second through sixth slots. Miami (.7114), Louisiana State (.7065), Penn State (.6450) and Florida State (.5735) complete the top 10.

The standings are computed by averaging the percent totals of the two polls plus computer rankings derived from six sources. The two polls and the compilation of computer rankings each count 1/3 toward a team's score.

To be eligible for one of the four BCS bowl games, a team must have nine victories and finish in the top 12 in the final BCS standings.

The BCS national championship game will be held January 4, 2006 at the Rose Bowl.

just got home from work and read this, i think its great!! USC isnt the team they were last year ... they dont play as unified as they did. Oh well, unless someone loses, Alabama doesnt have a shot this year :( Roll Tide!

I wish VT and Texas would play in the Rose Bowl. I also wish they would bring back strength of schedule and quality wins for the BCS... it makes so much more sense that the current USC setup.

/\ You are a gentleman and a scholar :D

That would be a great matchup...I also think strength and quality of wins is really important to get the best matchups. I hope if VT wins the rest of their games that they will leapfrog USC for a title shot.

I think the is GREAT! I hate the BCS and everything it stands for. I hope USC gets shutout and VT and Texas play in the "national championship." The more schools that schools get shafted, the closer we get to playoff.

I'm glad to see USC drop They've been sliding by to many times this year. Texas on the other hand has obliterated everyone they've played. VT has been winning but they have yet to play anyone worthwhile, which is their upcoming games, BC, Miami FL, Virginia, NC. If VT not just wins these but dominates then fine.

VT has been winning but they have  yet to play anyone worthwhile, which is their upcoming games, BC, Miami FL, Virginia, NC.

586719441[/snapback]

No one worthwhile? How about WVU? According to the pic you posted neither UVA or UNC are ranked in the BCS, but WVU is ranked #17. Don't get me wrong I hate VT (I go to WVU) but when you say they haven't played anyone worthwhile then you are busting on my school. Besides I would also consider Georgia Tech and NC State to be quality wins. Especially more than UNC.

No one worthwhile? How about WVU? According to the pic you posted neither UVA or UNC are ranked in the BCS, but WVU is ranked #17. Don't get me wrong I hate VT (I go to WVU) but when you say they haven't played anyone worthwhile then you are busting on my school. Besides I would also consider Georgia Tech and NC State to be quality wins. Especially more than UNC.

586719472[/snapback]

Yeah, but if you have enough wins anyone can slip into the top 25. Quality teams stay in the top 25. WVU has its moments but lets look at their opponents and the outcomes.

WVU vs. Syracuse - squeeks by with a 15-7 win

WVU vs. Wofford (who the h*ll is this) - sloppy win 35-7 (should have been 70-10)

WVU vs. Maryland - 31-19 win, not a tough win.

WVU vs. East Carolina, once again, squueks by 20-15

WVU vs. VT, 31-17, now this was a good fight.

WVU vs. Rutgers - 27-14, come on WVU can do better at scoring than this.

WVU vs Louisville - 46-44 in OT, not bad, Louisville is not ranked but good team

Upcoming schedule: Connecticut, Cincinati, and Pitt. and South FL.

Not necessarily a tough schedule remaining.

I hate to say this... but the actual test for VT starts in November; seems like it does every year, and the last time they looked like a decent team in cold weather was waaay back in '98. Don't get me wrong, I'll root for them, but I hold my judgement until the normal meltdown stages.

Of course I did say the same thing about Texas and OU and the longhorns finally got over it.

If Virginia Tech and Texas play in the Rose Bowl and all three teams (with USC) goes undefeated, they need to make a new system. Right now it's already laughable -- just look at the human polls and see how many vote USC #1 compared to Texas.

Sad thing is, if they all win out by a large amount, VT and Texas will probably play because the only big team really left for USC is UCLA.

The only solution to this is a playoff, period.

586719946[/snapback]

IMO, there should only be a playoff if there is more than two undefeated teams -- and, in this case, there likely will be.

We all know USC is #1 , USC has been unbeaten since last season this USC is going to be a Dynasty. And win it for the 3rd straight time Texas Longhorns havent played any good teams

USC BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides Texas and VT's schedule is pretty weak but still uSC is going to win it all enuff said :yes:

Edited by VegaOne

They're still undefeated, are they not? They've played and beat 3 ranked teams on the road (Oregon, Arizona State, Notre Dame), they have the Heisman Trophy winner (it's going to be either Leinart or Bush), not to mention they have a tougher schedule than Texas or Virginia Tech.

I don't see how USC can NOT be #1.

586720193[/snapback]

I agree! :yes:

just got home from work and read this, i think its great!! USC isnt the team they were last year ... they dont play as unified as they did.? Oh well, unless someone loses, Alabama doesnt have a shot this year:(( Roll Tide!

586719347[/snapback]

They're still undefeated, are they not? They've played and beat 3 ranked teams on the road (Oregon, Arizona State, Notre Dame), they have the Heisman Trophy winner (it's going to be either Leinart or Bush), not to mention they have a tougher schedule than Texas or Virginia Tech.

IMO, there should only be a playoff if there is more than two undefeated teams -- and, in this case, there likely will be.

586719980[/snapback]

I agree there should be a playoff. And the NCAA has talked about it in the past but have yet to implement anthing because the BCS scoring is a joke. It should have been eveident in the past of how many teams have had to share the BCS title.

I have no doubt that Texas will lose at least one game this year. Its a texas tradition, win the big ones get cocky and lose a stupid one.

586719423[/snapback]

As a resident of Austin, if Texas loses a game this year (Which isnt happening)...Off with Mack Brown's head! But if you look at UT schedule they have to play crappiest teams in the Big XII (I know...most of the Big XII is bad...but these are the worst of them all).

at Oklahoma State

at Baylor

Kansas

at Texas A&M

As a huge Texas fan, I can clearly see that the BCS is a pile. USC should be number 1 without a doubt, but people dont seem to be giving enough credit to Texas. People seem to be forgetting that we beat Ohio State in Columbus, and that we on average are beating the opposing teams by 35+ points. Overall, when the season comes to an end the standing will be exactly as they were during the preseason. USC are the champs until they are beat, so they should be number one. Texas will win out, remain at two, and VT will most likely be the next Auburn. Sorry DreAming in DigITal .

586720193[/snapback]

cuz they almost lose every game they play in? i think texas is the better team right now, everything else aside. USC's schedule is looking easier and easier after ucla, cal and arizona state keep playing more and more horrible. texas isn't much better, but until someone loses, things should stay where they are. and people will lose, trust me ;).

we do need a better system. if USC got a share of the title 2 years ago, then it's hypocrital for auburn to NOT get one last year. and when USC won their first, they had a loss.

I hate to say this... but the actual test for VT starts in November; seems like it does every year, and the last time they looked like a decent team in cold weather was waaay back in '98.? Don't get me wrong, I'll root for them, but I hold my judgement until the normal meltdown stages.

Of course I did say the same thing about Texas and OU and the longhorns finally got over it.

586719626[/snapback]

Ummm...did you forget that they CRUSHED Miami two years ago in freezing cold weather...Thats just one example off the top of my head...VT has never had ANY problems playing in the cold.

Sad thing is, if they all win out by a large amount, VT and Texas will probably play because the only big team really left for USC is UCLA

Why is that a sad thing? If VT goes undefeated then they will have beaten 5 ranked teams (WVU, GT, Miami, BC, and Florida State <--ACC Championship Game).

The only solution to this is a playoff, period.

I agree :yes::

Like I said...if VT goes undefeated then they've beaten 5 ranked teams....So nobody should be outraged or anything over VT possibly having a title shot.

Texas will win out, remain at two, and VT will most likely be the next Auburn. Sorry DreAming in DigITal .

I hate the thought of that :pinch::

Edited by DreAming in DigITal

we do need a better system.  if USC got a share of the title 2 years ago, then it's hypocrital for auburn to NOT get one last year.  and when USC won their first, they had a loss.

586720614[/snapback]

I hate how everyone only mentions Auburn getting screwed last year... Utah didn't exactly get screwed, but they should've had a shot at the title, too, no matter how bad people think their chances were.

Like I said: undefeateds need to play a playoff system or something for the real national champion.

Why is that a sad thing? If VT goes undefeated then they will have beaten 5 ranked teams (WVU, GT, Miami, BC, and Florida State <--ACC Championship Game).

And both USC and Texas have beat a number of ranked teams, as well. Sorry, but VT seems to be the weakest of the three teams to me, hence why I think it would be sad. Obviously you're not pulling for VT or anything... :rolleyes: I don't like any of the three teams more than the others.

I hate how everyone only mentions Auburn getting screwed last year... Utah didn't exactly get screwed, but they should've had a shot at the title, too, no matter how bad people think their chances were.

Like I said: undefeateds need to play a playoff system or something for the real national champion.

And both USC and Texas have beat a number of ranked teams, as well. Sorry, but VT seems to be the weakest of the three teams to me, hence why I think it would be sad. Obviously you're not pulling for VT or anything... :rolleyes: I don't like any of the three teams more than the others.

586720855[/snapback]

Obviously I'm biased...Did you think I was trying to hide it? :sleep:. Texas will finish up the season with 2 (count'em) wins over ranked teams...USC and VT will have 5. I still think that Texas is better than USC and deserves the top spot, but VT should be in the mix...

My whole point was that they deserve a shot as well as Texas or USC...they have probably the best defense in the nation and an explosive offense. They will match up well with ANY team.

Edited by DreAming in DigITal

Texas will finish up the season with 2 (count'em) wins over ranked teams

586720950[/snapback]

Actually...it was 3.

at Ohio State (4)

Colorado (24)

Texas Tech (8)