Texas Leapfrogs USC for #1

Obviously I'm biased...Did you think I was trying to hide it? :sleep:. Texas will finish up the season with 2 (count'em) wins over ranked teams...USC and VT will have 5. I still think that Texas is better than USC and deserves the top spot, but VT should be in the mix...

My whole point was that they deserve a shot as well as Texas or USC...they have probably the best defense in the nation and an explosive offense. They will match up well with ANY team.

586720950[/snapback]

Stop putting words in my mouth. I never said they didn't deserve to be in the mix... I said if all the teams win out they still impress me least and I think Texas and USC deserve it more, personally, watching the games.

i say we wait to compare ranked teams played at the end of the season. ranked teams played during the season doesn't necessarily mean anything. thats why we shouldn't have polls until say week 3, and we shouldn't have preseason polls either.

I am a usc fan and i think that texas does deserve the top spot. USC has pretty bad defence this year. thats the one aspect of there game that is suspect and should be the most looked at as far as standings. If you want to test a teams true stregnth look at there ability to stop a good team form scoring. USC has won all there games but by no means stopped that may teams only the arkansas and one other team. THe rest of there game have been struggles. From what i have seen with texas they do a good job at stopping there opponants.

I am a usc fan and i think that texas does deserve the top spot. USC has pretty bad defence this year. thats the one aspect of there game that is suspect and should be the most looked at as far as standings. If you want to test a teams true stregnth look at there ability to stop a good team form scoring. USC has won all there games but by no means stopped that may teams only the arkansas and one other team. THe rest of there game have been struggles. From what i have seen with texas they do a good job at stopping there opponants.

586723802[/snapback]

@Haw 63-17

Ark 70-17

@Ore 45-13

@AriSt 38-28

Ariz 42-21

@ND 34-31

@Wash 51-24

I can't believe I'm defending USC, having grown up in a Notre Dame household. But those games were hardly struggles, other than Arizona State and Notre Dame. Like Bro said, let's wait until the end of the season to start the debate. But if USC wins out against #24 Cal, #22 Fresno State, and #8 UCLA, there should be no question that USC is the #1 team in the country. And the argument about a team's defense is irrelevant. Auburn had the best defense in the country last season and they got burned. By the end of the season, USC will have played and beat 6 ranked teams, compared to 3 for Texas and Virginia Tech.

In no way am I taking anything from Texas or VT, they've had great seasons, but when you are the 2-time defending national champion and you haven't lost, you deserve to stay #1. That's my opinion anyway.

As much as I'd love to see a playoff (see here and here lol) it's not going to happen as long as these school presidents and ADs keep caring about the $$$ more than giving their student-athletes a truly fair shot at a national championship each year.

@Haw 63-17

Ark 70-17

@Ore 45-13

@AriSt 38-28

Ariz 42-21

@ND 34-31

@Wash 51-24

I can't believe I'm defending USC, having grown up in a Notre Dame household. But those games were hardly struggles, other than Arizona State and Notre Dame. Like Bro said, let's wait until the end of the season to start the debate. But if USC wins out against #24 Cal, #22 Fresno State, and #8 UCLA, there should be no question that USC is the #1 team in the country. And the argument about a team's defense is irrelevant. Auburn had the best defense in the country last season and they got burned. By the end of the season, USC will have played and beat 6 ranked teams, compared to 3 for Texas and Virginia Tech.

In no way am I taking anything from Texas or VT, they've had great seasons, but when you are the 2-time defending national champion and you haven't lost, you deserve to stay #1. That's my opinion anyway.

586724423[/snapback]

i would still leave out the ranking numbers for now. teams beat teams who are ranked high one week, and then by the end of the season are unranked. those shouldn't be counted as victories against ranked opponents.

also, being the defending champion shouldn't give you ANY advantage over another team this year. last year was last year, this year is different. if USC was the EXACT same team this year, then maybe it would mean something. but thats what i hate the most, how much the previous years affect the next year. it should have no effect.

586723802[/snapback]

HAHA lol who cares If they have won them by close scores they have won 28 in a row I believe , and texas has a weak schedule thats why they keep winning like that. Make texas go againts Notre Dame or Michigan and see the difference :yes:

Make texas go againts Notre Dame or Michigan and see the difference  :yes:

586731032[/snapback]

Michigan? Texas would beat Michigan so bad, they would lose their recruitment class.

keep dreaming.  texas barely beat michigan last year, and that was with vince running all over us.

586732816[/snapback]

But then again, that was Michigan of last year with Braylan Edwrads ;)

I have no doubt that Texas will lose at least one game this year. Its a texas tradition, win the big ones get cocky and lose a stupid one.

586719423[/snapback]

Texas is down 28-12 at the half, watch out texas tradition might just happen again.

i would still leave out the ranking numbers for now.  teams beat teams who are ranked high one week, and then by the end of the season are unranked.  those shouldn't be counted as victories against ranked opponents. 

also, being the defending champion shouldn't give you ANY advantage over another team this year.  last year was last year, this year is different.  if USC was the EXACT same team this year, then maybe it would mean something.  but thats what i hate the most, how much the previous years affect the next year.  it should have no effect.

586725036[/snapback]

I think I agree with your post more than mine :laugh:

Still, I think USC is the best team in the country.

Texas is down 28-12 at the half, watch out texas tradition might just happen again.

586742486[/snapback]

You're right, Texas tradition will happen again... they're going to come back from a large deficit against OK State (Just like last year, down 35-14 at half). They're up by 6 now, and they're not looking back.

I think I agree with your post more than mine  :laugh:

Still, I think USC is the best team in the country.

586742640[/snapback]

Yeah, USC is the best team in the country right now. The BCS rankings are irrelavant now, and frankly always (No need to discuss the BCS... another thread, another time perhaps :D ). You can't argue with 30 games of winning, no matter who the opponent is. When a team loses, there are many more factors involved than a team's skill. For any team to keep winning for such a long time is quite amazing, and shows good skill.

So much for them being down.  What it did show was a Texas team who was not ready for Oklahoma St. and almost got upset.

586742999[/snapback]

IMO, it showed a Texas team being lazy and then coming back bigtime. It's amazing how USC can do the exact same thing and get mad props for that... please. I'm not a Texas fan, but they played like crap the first half, then showed why they're supposed to go to the title game.

IMO, it showed a Texas team being lazy and then coming back bigtime. It's amazing how USC can do the exact same thing and get mad props for that... please. I'm not a Texas fan, but they played like crap the first half, then showed why they're supposed to go to the title game.

586743064[/snapback]

I almost agree entirely with your post except for the fact that USC doesn't give up that many points on purpose... their defense really isn't that great. They just get it done with the offense against any team that challenges them.

damn those teams who get me all excited in the first half and then completely fall apart in the second.

north carolina shoulda upset miami, maryland shoulda upset fla. st., ok state shoulda beat texas, and standford shoulda beat ucla.

north carolina shoulda upset miami

586745197[/snapback]

Nah, NC was only up by 9 at half.

maryland shoulda upset fla. st.

586745197[/snapback]

If Maryland's offense hadn't died in the second half, they would have.

ok state shoulda beat texas

586745197[/snapback]

No, OK State always goes up on Texas early.

standford shoulda beat ucla.

586745197[/snapback]

Absolutely. Stanford just crumbled in the 4th quarter.