Marijuana or Alcohol?

What would you rather see legal (Support your answer!)  

509 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rather see legal (Support your answer!)

• Marijuana
    • Alcohol

Let's look at both of these substances when taken in moderation. Do not counter these facts by saying "Well, More is very bad!" Of course more is bad! THat's WHy I'm saying let's check it out when taken IN MODERATION.

Alcohol/Ethanol? Healthy.

-One Beer a day is proven to provide a fair amount of antioxidants needed to keep the elasticity of arteries.

- One glass of wine a day? Very healthy for the heart this has been proven countless number of times

- A small amount of vodka reduces the risk of of heart disease and some forms of cancer.

Marijuana? Zero health benefits, except

- Great pain killer for patients going through unbearable physical pain

For the average joe, Alcohol does good. Marijuana does no good, unless you consider getting high and mentally impaired healthy. Get it?

Besides, pot is so high school, that's what kids are always curious to try at a certain age, so many have tried it it's a fact let's not hide it. You become a badboy when you smoke that baby up yeah! That's right! you feel good, you're like "I DID IT! I SMOKED POT!" You're man enough to chill with 50 cent and 50 rupies and that guy in the street who rights stuff on walls. You're da thugster! You're a big boy now! Sponsored by PullUps.

Only Rastafarians like Bob Marley should legally smoke weed. They have a reason. They rule, you don't. THey make great music, you keep saying stupid things in class.

k I'm lost :wacko:

See this section made me miss out on this thread. But I chose Marijuana as it is much less harmful than alcohol and doesnt make my nose red and my belly fat.

Let's look at both of these substances when taken in moderation. Do not counter these facts by saying "Well, More is very bad!" Of course more is bad! THat's WHy I'm saying let's check it out when taken IN MODERATION.

Alcohol/Ethanol? Healthy.

-One Beer a day is proven to provide a fair amount of antioxidants needed to keep the elasticity of arteries.

- One glass of wine a day? Very healthy for the heart this has been proven countless number of times

- A small amount of vodka reduces the risk of of heart disease and some forms of cancer.

Marijuana? Zero health benefits, except

- Great pain killer for patients going through unbearable physical pain

For the average joe, Alcohol does good. Marijuana does no good, unless you consider getting high and mentally impaired healthy. Get it?

Besides, pot is so high school, that's what kids are always curious to try at a certain age, so many have tried it it's a fact let's not hide it. You become a badboy when you smoke that baby up yeah! That's right! you feel good, you're like "I DID IT! I SMOKED POT!" You're man enough to chill with 50 cent and 50 rupies and that guy in the street who rights stuff on walls. You're da thugster! You're a big boy now! Sponsored by PullUps.

Only Rastafarians like Bob Marley should legally smoke weed. They have a reason. They rule, you don't. THey make great music, you keep saying stupid things in class.

k I'm lost :wacko:

Got any links to reputable sites to back that up? I know alcohol in moderation is healthy, but so's marijuana. You just seem very biased.

Also it's not very 'high school' I don't know when you were last at high school but we don't think like that. I'm at high school now and I quite enjoy a good spliff every now and then with my mates, I often have one before exams to calm my nerves, at lunchtimes when I've had a bad day or at parties when I just want to have a good time.

I'm sure I could do the same with alcohol, in fact I often used to. After a hard day it was nice to come home and have a beer (or a few) but it's highly impractical to carry around bottles of alcohol with you at school or around towns.

Rainman, I would consider even replying to your post if you did not do the following:

-Group the millions of marijuana users that vary in race, age, sex, religion and profession into highschool boys wanting to be thug.

-Ignored the recent medical research about marijuana showing it promotes brain cell growth, possibly blocks certain types of cancer, is proven treatment for multiple medical conditions (Gluacoma anyone?) and so forth. As for dangers, you ignored the research linking it to possibly increased chances of developing schizophrenia.

So not only were you making a biased, skewed and misinformed post, but you didn't even do so as good as you could. Come on, at least throw Schizophrenia links somewhere in there if you want to make Marijuana look like the bad guy. Pfft.

Rainman, I would consider even replying to your post if you did not do the following:

-Group the millions of marijuana users that vary in race, age, sex, religion and profession into highschool boys wanting to be thug.

-Ignored the recent medical research about marijuana showing it promotes brain cell growth, possibly blocks certain types of cancer, is proven treatment for multiple medical conditions (Gluacoma anyone?) and so forth. As for dangers, you ignored the research linking it to possibly increased chances of developing schizophrenia.

So not only were you making a biased, skewed and misinformed post, but you didn't even do so as good as you could. Come on, at least throw Schizophrenia links somewhere in there if you want to make Marijuana look like the bad guy. Pfft.

Yes you're right. I did read about the cell growth thing regarding marijuana but that's a different story bud. They take marijuana and testt as an actual drug that's consumed like other prescribed drugs, not smoked in a big blunt a few times a day getting high from it which is what you guys do. When they say a joint has 5-6 times more tar than a cigarette, how many times must that be proven? And that's just one of the many negative things about smoking blunts.

When you see an article that says "Marijuana may help solve... <some bad health thing>", you gotta remember that marijuana tests by scientists don't involve getting people high til they notice something possibly beneficial, but that's what all you smokers do, smoke them blunts and go high.

When you drink alcohol in moderation, you expect results and one can feel better, healthier. I doubt that there's a common health improvement among most smokers who regularly get high. If there was, they wouldn't be making articles on "Marijuana possibly healthy regarding..", they'd confirm it and screw that coffin up once in for all but it's a debate that still goes on and on and on while alcohol has already been proven to provide the benefits that many claim.

Alcohol is legal because although it does have mind altering affects, it is still in many tastey drinks, and has health benifits when taken in moderation. Its abusers give it a bad name.

Marijuana is another story. Aside from being a lot unhealthier than a cigarette, the reason people smoke it is because of it's mind altering affects. I mean, who can honestly say that they smoked their last joint because it tastes really good and they didn't get a high from it.

Rainman, this is why I don't argue. Your basing your **** off assumptions. You think I'm another "yeah yeah lets roll around and smoke some L's G!"

No. When I smoke alone, it's usually pack a bowl, smoke 2-4 hits then set it down until later.

I've read plenty of reports that Marijauna has closer to half the tar of ciggs, and that the buds have even less than the leaves, which have the most tar. I don't know which to believe, but like I said....I smoke and I enjoy it, but skating is far more important to me. If Marijuana had any serious effect on my respiration and athletic ability, I simply would not do it. I am not saying everyone experiences as few negative side effects as I do, I'm just giving my personal experiences.

J, when I smoke it's usually because it relaxes me. I also am quite fond of the taste honestly. I smoke real high quality bud though, which makes a big difference as far as taste goes. I get excited when a new strand comes around so I can see how it smell / tastes, it's part of what I enjoy about it. I like comparing different types and how they make me feel. I'm not looking to get ****ed up, I generally smoke after I skate to relax and help me pass out, similar to someone listening to soft music after a stressful day at work.

Oh well, I don't really like these types of threads as much as I used to. It's really rare I see someone on the anti-pot side argue with facts, rather than using exxaggerations, extreme examples, propoganda and so forth. Some of you have tried to make good points against marijuana and I welcome your input, but a lot of you are just too uninformed or inexperienced to really know what you're saying isn't true. You can argue this post however you want, but frankly I don't care. I know where I stand, I know marijuana is indeed dangerous in specific ways, but I also know that I consider it worth it. The benefits far outweight he negatives in my experience, and it's one of the many things life offers me that I enjoy.

* Marijuana is fat-soluble, and it stays in the body for weeks, unlike alcohol, which is water-soluble and leaves the body in hours. It is a complex mixture of over 400 chemicals and over 60 cannabinoids, (missing in tobacco) including delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the main psychoactive ingredient. [1] THC, the marijuana ingredient associated with health "benefits", is currently available in pill form as Marinol TM,, and it can be administered in known and precise doses, unlike smoked marijuana. [2] For each medical condition for which smoked marijuana is claimed to be beneficial, there are other drugs available that are superior to marijuana. [3] But we don?t wanna hear about that, right? It would remove the real reason we want people to believe that cannabis has unique therapeutic characteristics: because we like to smoke it, and get stoned!

* One study based on instrumental quantitative analysis of toxic components of cannabis smoke found that smoking a "joint" of marijuana caused over 10 times as much lung damage as smoking one cigarette. [4] Where did lung cancer go, dear anti-tobacco/pro-marijuana activists? Shouldn?t we be at least 10 times as concerned about marijuana as we are about tobacco, assorted ministries of health and antitobacco freaks?

* Marijuana has not been shown to be a safe and effective drug in lowering intraocular pressure and preventing optic nerve damage for glaucoma patients. To maintain a low intraocular pressure with marijuana, a person would have to smoke a joint every 1 to 2 hours, 10 to 12 joints a day, and 4,000 a year. [5] That would put the toxic chemical intake at an equivalent of 100 to 144 cigarettes a day (or 36, 000 to 52,000 a year) ? a far cry from the 20 cigs of an average tobacco smoker.

* Smoked marijuana threatens patients with bacterial and fungal infections; it has been demonstrated that infectious agents can be found on marijuana leaves, [6] because it is clandestinely produced, and not subject to the obsessive quality controls that the targeted tobacco industry is. Cancer and AIDS patients are immuno-compromised and are extraordinarily sensitive to invasion by bacteria and fungi. [7] It is true that legalisation would go toward eliminating this problem, but Mr. Sweanor certainly does not refer to any future.

* According to a leading medical journal, marijuana users had 55% more industrial accidents than non-users. The same study found that marijuana users had 85% more injuries at work than non-users. [8] But there is positively no need for studies or medical skills to observe that marijuana decreases motor skills, concentration and coordination, and that accidents result from a distortion of time and space relationships. Not surprisingly, none of this is a problem for tobacco smokers, who do not fall into an idiotic, dumb stupor every time they light up. Furthermore, marijuana users have been shown to have a 78% increase in absenteeism over non-users.

So true.

Thankfully marijuana is not addictive in the same way as tobacco so the kiddies mostly stop taking it when they leave all there buddies in School/University and join the real world.

Mostly. (haha)

300,000 people died last year from alcohol poisoning and drunk driving. A whopping one person - 1 - died from marijuana.

Alcohol is horrible for your liver, you can't make rational decisions when you're drunk, you drive like a moron (but think you're awesome), you can't remember what happened the next day, and your head hurts like a bitch when you wake up. Let's not forget about alcohol poisoning.

Pot, in moderation, is slightly damaging to the lungs (less so than tobacco, though) and has no major ill effects. You get the munchies and you get kinda tired, but you can still make rational decisions and most people can drive just fine stoned. If you smoke too much weed, you just pass out. You can't possibly overdose, except for the one guy that ate 3 OZ of it. I bet he died happy.

Looking at the numbers and facts... I'm gonna say +1 for the w33d.

Peace,

Pete Zaria.