Australia beats Uruguay!

Its Australia?s official National Colours, green and gold. Green and gold are the colours we use when representing our county in international sporting events.

586817170[/snapback]

That is not the full story but you are correct. Australia's national Flora is Acacia Pycnantha or commonly known as Golden Wattle. The plant has green foliage and a goldern yellow flower. This is where the colours of Green & Gold come from that Australia uses in it's international sporting competitions. It is a shame in suburban areas in Australia there is not enough of this lovely plant. where i live there is plent:):) god i love being a country bo:p:p

now back onto the game.. was an excellent game, i watched last world cup 02 for the qualifying matches and they were just a much better team this time around that they truely deserved to go through. i don't think it matters how well they do in Germany, what matters is they got there, for Australia that is a big achievement and even non soccer fans should be proud. As for me im a very very casual soccer fan.

Well shame Uruguay didn't qualify, I just love dirty football.

I saw a 'Harry kewel' is back in form post, that guy is only interested in a huge pay packet and only went to Liverpool as Arsenal would not pay what he wanted.

Look at him being substituted early in Champions League Final, that was NOT an injury he didn't have the bottle.

It's football people not s.o.c.c.e.r.

586817207[/snapback]

I couldn't care less if he plays well for Liverpool. As long as he plays well for Australia. And you're forgetting one KEY thing. Liverpool's coach, sent him out with an injury. He sacrificed Kewell's health, for that Champions league final. It was not Kewell's fault he got injured

kerm, the commentators say we are playing 2 games against holland first. hopefully england aus world cup final lmao, dont flame me i know it cant happen, im just joking, england wont make the final :p

^^ lol

I dont follow the sport, But I'm glad we are in. The end sounded like a corker. Imagine being the keeper now (probably off his nut drunk somewhere actually)

Hey congrats!!

After 31 yrs (the 1974 WC, also in Germany) you guys finally did it again.

And I'm a bit proud myself because Guus Hiddink is the the coach of my hometown team PSV as well :cool:

Now lets hope he can pull the same stunt as he did with South Korea the previous WC.

Its Australia?s official National Colours, green and gold. Green and gold are the colours we use when representing our county in international sporting events.

586817170[/snapback]

Actually, if you look at our coat of arms, http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/flags/ccoa.jpg, you'll notice that our colours are blue and gold. Don't quote me, but I believe Bob Hawke (one of our ex-prime ministers) changed it to green and gold. Which no-doubt annoyed the hell out of South Africa, whose colours actually are green and gold. That is why australia and south africa both have green and gold, with australia focusing on the gold and africa on the green.

After 31 yrs (the 1974 WC, also in Germany) you guys finally did it again.

And I'm a bit proud myself because Guus Hiddink is the the coach of my hometown team PSV as well 

Now lets hope he can pull the same stunt as he did with South Korea the previous WC.

hehe that's good..

hey i have a question for you rudyj, what's the feeling in holland that guus is coaching 2 teams?. are they upset about the fact that he might be spending too much time with australia and not spending time on psv?

hehe that's good..

hey i have a question for you rudyj, what's the feeling in holland that guus is coaching 2 teams?. are they upset about the fact that he might be spending too much time with australia and not spending time on psv?

586817502[/snapback]

Well judging from where I live now, the Philippines, but reading the local and national newspaper, KNVB (Dutch FA), and PSV sites I don't think there's any problem. It gives dutch football and its style of play a lot of exposure.

That stunt he pulled with South Korea sure had a massive impact, there were even South Koreans going on holiday in Holland and visited Hiddink's hometown and the PSV stadium. When hiddink started coaching PSV after that WC he took two players of the SK national team with him to PSV. Now he even had a clause in his contract with PSV where he could pick any national team he wanted to coach if he were to be asked and PSV would alow it as long as it didn't interfere with his PSV coaching. In fact I even think PSV suggested that clause, I'll have to check up on that to make sure. Well PSV is doing pretty well in both the National and Champions League so no problems there.

Hiddink has just one big problem at the moment, the Dutch IRS are after him. But that's probably just a lot of barking and no biting :laugh:

EDIT: I just checked

De coach van de Brabanders, waar hij ook de pet van technisch directeur draagt, mocht een land naar keuze naar het wereldkampioenschap leiden, zonder dat zijn positie bij PSV daardoor in gevaar zou komen. Hiddink nam de uitdaging aan en verbond zich aan Australi?.
From Eindhovens Dagblad (Eindovens Newspaper)

Rough translation: The coach of the Brabanders (people form the province of Noord-Brabant in this case they mean PSV) who's also the Technical Director was allowed to lead a country of his choice to the 2006 WC, without it having any consequences for his role at PSV. Hiddink took up the challenge and comitted himself to Australia.

Edited by RudyJ

I heard on the radio this morning that apparently the Australian team got a witch doctor to do some ritual in 1974 so that they could get into the World Cup. Apparently he burried chicken bones by the goal posts and everything.

Anyhow the Australians didn't pay up, so the witch doctor put a curse on the Australian soccer side.

Apparently a radio / TV personality (John Safran if anybody is interested) traveled to this witch doctor last year and got him to lift the curse (by performing some ritual with him).

Episode 7 : 11th October 2004.

Encouraged by Australian soccer legend Johnny Warren, John travels to Mozambique to lift the thirty year curse on the Australian soccer team... but will he be successful? Next, back in Salt Lake City, John uncovers the secrets of the Mormon magic underpants. In Sydney, John meets a local expert mathematician and asks, did the bible predict the September 11 tragedy? Finally, John navigates the complex domain of the religious boycott.

LINK - John Safran Vs God

It could be a steaming pile of complete utter BS, but you have to admit that it is an absolute massive co-incidence that Australia hasn't gotten into the World Cup for EVERY year that this supposed curse was in place, and as soon as it is lifted we get in first try.

I'm not much of a soccer fan either. But that was one of the best games of any sport I have ever seen.

Mainly because of the pressure, the history and what the result meant.

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!1 hooray!!!!!! .....best soccer game i seeen in a while!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ehh, they will just loose in the first round anyways.

586817121[/snapback]

stfu :crazy:

:woot:

untitled19nu.jpg

586817244[/snapback]

best pic eva..... :woot: :woot:

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!1 hooray!!!!!! .....best soccer game i seeen in a while!!!!!!!!!!!!

stfu  :crazy:

best pic eva..... :woot:  :woot:

586820511[/snapback]

Now noone likes to see us Australians win more than me,

but lets be realistic here. We've only managed to delay the

arse-whipping we're going to get.

Still nice to see the long term guys like Vidmar and Aloisi who have

given much of their lives to getting to this point get there finally!

Ill still keep my fingers crossed!