vBulletin or IPB?

Question

I am on the latest version of IPB and loving it.. except that the IPB support team are a bunch of pr!cks

So, I'm making a new website, current (and honest) expectations are for it to be a big hit = many users, much activity, many posts.

The last version of VB i used was 3 Gold, and since then it has changed drastically.

I know that VB was always several steps ahead of IPB.. Are they still?

Which way should I go?

Oh yeah, PHPbb NO WAY! Its the ugliest, most insecure, undeveloped and buggy piece of sh!t.

i prefer ipb over vb due the the sharpness of the control panel and the wider surport u can get for it aswell it just a my personal opionion but i dont like some the the vb skisn they look cartooney of u know what i mean

Well that's wrong because both of those Portals were not coded by IPB or VB they are custom scripts like neowin was development for the Virtuanews script.

Here are the proper portals examples:

IPB Portal - This ain't the latest version this is 2 not 2.1

vB has 2 examples - one of have to pay for which is vBportal and vBadvanced is free

vBadvanced

phpPortals

vbPortal

Hope that clears that up

Virtuanews this is basically neowin portal.

586858713[/snapback]

but the vB portal mods just seem better to me.

I have used IPB for years, but I also have experience with vB. For me the skin is not an issue, if you are at all serious about your community and forum you can change the ?look? of the forum to anything you like. It?s what?s behind the front end that is important to me as that determines scalability, the ability to modify the code and also how well it is to understand what does what !

I find IPB?s code a lot more efficient and easy to read due to the fact that there is only one main developer. IPB also scale?s a lot better than vB so my vote would be with IPB.

I got my hands on an 'eval version' of vBulletin....

The sheer number of options in the Admin center is AMAZING.

IPB pales and withers in comparison!

Yet IPB is MUCH faster to configure... and crashes more

Which has more overhead? I mean like for instance neowin is on IPB, and we get so many timeouts and server connection errors when the server load is high... (on a scale of 5...) would vB make a *slight* difference either way?

Which is more query efficient?

Which has more overhead? I mean like for instance neowin is on IPB, and we get so many timeouts and server connection errors when the server load is high... (on a scale of 5...) would vB make a *slight* difference either way?

586863661[/snapback]

Neowin used to run VB but they found the server load to high (this was back in 2002/2003 when there were far less users). The sever load is high at the moment but will drop when the new servers are rearranged.

IPB is more effcient, but neowin is bad one to judge it on, how many users do you have?

that's true. Since vB is nicer, it has more people modding it for free.

IPB support are b!tches about everything.

*cough* Matt Mecham *cough*

586862637[/snapback]

What on earth are you talking about? Matt Mecham is a developer, not a support technician. I've never had a single problem with any IPS staff the whole time I've had my license.

586863661[/snapback]

IPB crashes more? How did you figure that out? Personally I think IPB has too many options(every option means more CPU time per page load) so I'd hate to see vB.

What on earth are you talking about? Matt Mecham is a developer, not a support technician. I've never had a single problem with any IPS staff the whole time I've had my license.

IPB crashes more? How did you figure that out? Personally I think IPB has too many options(every option means more CPU time per page load) so I'd hate to see vB.

586864736[/snapback]

I don't know how IPB could crash anyway, VB does not actually have many more options they are just laid out differently.

Edit missed out the word not

Edited by nezermundy

Hey all..

First, Matt decideds how pays how much, and who can register on his forums.

and sorry bout 'crashing' I meant to say that it is easier to crash by making simple mistakes while modifying the skin templates. Esp. if you are trying to make it match a website (what I'm trying) instead of the otherway around (what neowin has done).

I have experimented with modifying vB and found it easier and safer.

I'm very much in favour of the nicer IPB, but I do like the AJAX Quick Reply on vB, definately makes it quick. Would hope IPB gets this feature :)

IP 2.1 has a lot more Ajax support as well, have you seen the Quick Reply here and the Quick Edit.

I have them on my IPB board too, you do know that vB has had AJAX and inline title editing, etc. forever?

I think I'm going to stick to IPB, just because. don't ask why, just for no reason.

UNLESS, does myBB have AJAX?

I have them on my IPB board too, you do know that vB has had AJAX and inline title editing, etc. forever?

I think I'm going to stick to IPB, just because. don't ask why, just for no reason.

UNLESS, does myBB have AJAX?

Do it doesn't but it will be in myBB 1.2

Sometimes it wasier to stick with what you know best.

Actually IPB was the first to show inline title editing and numerous other AJAX implementations, vB then showed them shortly after in vB 3.5. :sleep:

IPB doesn't CRASH more. MySQL is the unreliable one. Most of the errors in IPB are MySQL errors.

MySQL is fine on small implementations, but throw in like 2000 concurrent users and database tables of more than 500,000 rows or so and it starts to wither and die.

This is where MSSQL kicks the %^&* out of MySQL.

I've alwaqys wondered why NeoWin doesn't switch to Oracle (its the best one, more reliable, though a tad slower, than MSSQL)

there is now a free version of oracle too.

and there is an oracle plugin for IPB

I've alwaqys wondered why NeoWin doesn't switch to Oracle (its the best one, more reliable, though a tad slower, than MSSQL)

there is now a free version of oracle too.

and there is an oracle plugin for IPB

MySQL wasn't really the porblem, the problem was that the severs could not take the load, but they do now.

What are you smoking?

If you've seen the new ACP in IPB 2.1, there are limitless customization options and it is MUCH more streamlined and clean-looking then vB. There are general 'tabs' that allow you to edit different aspects of your board. It looks extremely professional, while vB just lists a whole bunch of options haphazardly ...

Ok, well, because this website is running on the Invision software, you might not get the best non-biased results here.

Honestly, IPB has just as many features as vB has, but it can implement some features more innovatively into the system. Although, Matt does borrow alot of javascript code from free scripts, where as Jelsoft has some competant Javascript coders on their team, so 99.9% of code in vBulletin is theirs.

Uhh, honestly, if you are a person that wants good support, go with vB, as their support is way ahead of Invision. IPB has a steeper learning curve IMO, but is a very nice overall product if you can get used to it.

Although, Matt does borrow alot of javascript code from free scripts, where as Jelsoft has some competant Javascript coders on their team, so 99.9% of code in vBulletin is theirs.

What? Which code are you talking about? DOM-Drag is about it isn't it? If you don't think it took a competent JS scripter to write the RTE then I don't know what your interpretation of competent is? :blink:

What? Which code are you talking about? DOM-Drag is about it isn't it? If you don't think it took a competent JS scripter to write the RTE then I don't know what your interpretation of competent is? :blink:

I dont have a clue what he is talking about....