vBulletin or IPB?

Question

I am on the latest version of IPB and loving it.. except that the IPB support team are a bunch of pr!cks

So, I'm making a new website, current (and honest) expectations are for it to be a big hit = many users, much activity, many posts.

The last version of VB i used was 3 Gold, and since then it has changed drastically.

I know that VB was always several steps ahead of IPB.. Are they still?

Which way should I go?

Oh yeah, PHPbb NO WAY! Its the ugliest, most insecure, undeveloped and buggy piece of sh!t.

well, he is talking about a bit of code bborrwoed from online, and then he talks about the rich text editor in 2.1

i think teh RTE is crap. It is BUGGY, BUGGY, BUGGY, and they would do better to use a ready-made script for THAT

well, he is talking about a bit of code bborrwoed from online, and then he talks about the rich text editor in 2.1

i think teh RTE is crap. It is BUGGY, BUGGY, BUGGY, and they would do better to use a ready-made script for THAT

You are entitled to your opinion but I haven't had any troubles with the RTE. The reason I mentioned it was to prove that Matt Mecham is a competent Javascript coder. The 1 library used from online is a very small proportion and is exactly that, a library which is built for others to use in their software.

I have never used VB, so out of the two options i seem to like IPB better because of apperance and ease of use. (judging by other forusm i visit who use vb, and ipb).

Many including me don't like phpBB 2.x, but i got to say i played around with the CVS version of the upcoming 3.0 and I started building my site using it. I found it much easier to code for and building my portal around it. My other choice was IPB but their skining system drove me away. So if you are going to be doing the coding for your site, i would recommend looking into the new phpBB, unless timing is an issue then i wouldn't recommend it because a release date has yet to be determined.

I have never used VB, so out of the two options i seem to like IPB better because of apperance and ease of use. (judging by other forusm i visit who use vb, and ipb).

Many including me don't like phpBB 2.x, but i got to say i played around with the CVS version of the upcoming 3.0 and I started building my site using it. I found it much easier to code for and building my portal around it. My other choice was IPB but their skining system drove me away. So if you are going to be doing the coding for your site, i would recommend looking into the new phpBB, unless timing is an issue then i wouldn't recommend it because a release date has yet to be determined.

Yeah phpBB 3 is far easier code and has some great features, but the fact is that it is taking along time.

I am coming to the end of a vB license, and I can't complain at all. The support has been the best out of all the software and services we use.

I agree with the skins (although I think there could be a better one than both of them). vB looks a bit tired, and Invision looks a bit shiney and the text is smaller, but you'll change that around the style of your site, right?

And I think you can skin the ACP on vB too - but I don't spend much time in there. I only ever use it to do an announcement or close/open the board - it pretty much doesn't need us to do anything.

I feel at home with vB and the vB org community are quite good. I guess I should look at IPB, and have used it before for a while when it was free, but for the sake of staying on track with my next project I think I'll stick with vB rather than start from scratch with IPB.

For the smaller sites I do/help out with we use MyBB - it's great. If I had to start a forum tomorrow I'd go for MyBB or vB, and when the license runs out on the current vB site I might move over to MyBB. :)

I am coming to the end of a vB license, and I can't complain at all. The support has been the best out of all the software and services we use.

I agree with the skins (although I think there could be a better one than both of them). vB looks a bit tired, and Invision looks a bit shiney and the text is smaller, but you'll change that around the style of your site, right?

And I think you can skin the ACP on vB too - but I don't spend much time in there. I only ever use it to do an announcement or close/open the board - it pretty much doesn't need us to do anything.

I feel at home with vB and the vB org community are quite good. I guess I should look at IPB, and have used it before for a while when it was free, but for the sake of staying on track with my next project I think I'll stick with vB rather than start from scratch with IPB.

For the smaller sites I do/help out with we use MyBB - it's great. If I had to start a forum tomorrow I'd go for MyBB or vB, and when the license runs out on the current vB site I might move over to MyBB. :)

Well said, myBB rocks! :)