Employee Says Best Buy Deceived Shoppers

Best Buy sucks....IMO, they're full of arrogant, unknowledgable, pushy salespeople who can't answer questions outside of the scope of "how much is the extended warranty??". I won't get more than a spindle of dvd-r's there, and that's only if there's no mail in rebate.

586852609[/snapback]

Nice opinion but hardly the case. There are a few people out there on the floor who don't know anything, but the number who do is far greater than those that don't.

Bestbuy is evil that's all I can say. They aren't trained to know anything other than selling extended PSP waranties.

586852619[/snapback]

Yet again, very much incorrect. Many of the same salespeople that don't know what they are talking about, pitch the PSP incorrectly, so they are not "trained" at all. Is this right? Absolutely not, and I have to deal with this issue on a daily basis. BUT I'm trained on how to use a register, fix computers, help customers, make them smile so your statement is off base

Best buy does this all the time here is what to look ofr this year [done as a supposed "time saver"]:

Let's say you have a computer deal on sale that says min 15 units per store.

Most best buys are having their Geek Squad install the special pack of a System Tune-Up, Norton Anti-Virus, and Spyware Sweeper. Problem is that they are doing this "pre" install on half or more of the computers so what happens if 12 people out of the 15 dont want the software? Take it or leave it. Someone needs to call the AG in every state from now till christmas reporting every time they heard this happen.

586852620[/snapback]

Wrong again! As per corporate policy and agreements with manufacturers, this is not permitted and is very much looked down upon. Pre-setups (turn the computer on, walk through windows setup, power down) are permitted to make sure that customers do not walk away with DOA units that get opened by their kids on christmas day. There is an internal "newsletter" that made this policy quite clear over the last few weeks. If you see it happening, please call 1-800-BESTBUY and report it!

Does the management work off comission or is he just trying to rack up sales statistics to show the coporate office?

586854460[/snapback]

There is not one position that is paid on commission, everybody is either a salaried or hourly employee.

lol. Close minded generalizations rule, huh?

My store didn't do this. You people are going to bitch out a company for the actions of local management? If that were the case, I would probably have to go out of state to do any of my shopping.

586853902[/snapback]

Exactly! Local management cannot be used as a reflection for the entire company of 750+ Stores, not including BBY Canada or FutureShop.

If you think that Best Buy does not care about their customers, you are dead wrong. I've got plenty of people that come into the store with me as their "Go to" guy. I know their names, and they know mine. I do not sell anything, I inform people of what we have to offer them, and how it would be beneficial to their lifestyle. Look at my GM who showed up to setup the store at 3am this morning and did not go home till well after 8pm because she wanted to make sure the day went well. Unfortunately some stores do not hold up to what Best Buy really is, and they tarnish the name. But... we must be doing something right as a company if we are and have been the #1 retailer.

If a policy or procedure at a store seems out of whack and really off color, let corporate know. They do listen!

look at all these best buy haters its sooo funny. i know alot of people that work best buy and none of them heard of anything like this and they are also very intelligent so these comments some of you are making are just childish and just show that kids always trash main name companies in hopes of someone thinking they are funny and cool.

heres my opinion..

1.  Flyer corrections happen all the time.. wether it's on purpose to make more money or not, they happen, fine print always states that they are not to be held responsible in most cases.

2.  where does an 11 year old get $400?

3.  An 11 year old has much better things to buy that a $400 xbox 360.  As a parent i dont feel it would be setting a good example letting your "child" spend his $400 on a video game system. 

just my opinion.

586854423[/snapback]

Maybe the kid was given a $400 Christmas limit and wanted an xbox

That's just messed up, although my local Best Buy did nothing of this sort.

And yes, it's pretty possible for a 11 year old to get $400, Birthday and Christmas, very possible, especially if they saved it for a while.

BB and The Geek Squad are a bunch of ******s IMO...

586854597[/snapback]

So you are calling myself, cswadner, and other people on this board ******s without even knowing us?

No, they haven't. What those managers did was obviously wrong and I'm not going to sit here and pretend otherwise. However, it's the local management that decided to do it. The company's own S.O.P. would require them to provide the packages as advertised. I wouldn't be surprised if things are handled internally and in a very strict manner.

It's kind of funny. In the NYC area, Best Buy was selling them separately while Toys R Us made you buy a package deal.

586853939[/snapback]

Best Buy is notorious for this. The BB I worked at did this with the PSP and Nintendo DS and it was given an okay from upper management... Can't tell you how many disgusted customers we had in the place. BB always has false advertising I really hope they get busted for this. Ever go to BB to get a movie that was on sale for a great price but they didn't have it or did have it and had such little stock they sold out the first day of the sale. We are told to say the shipment was "late" but it's really just to get people in the store so they can be sold $42 USB cables and that was straight from my supervisors mouth. Just go to bestbuysux.org for more proof

I feel a boycott coming on. Hmmmm...a nationwide boycott of Best Buy. Interesting thought. I don't care for the store anyways and besides it takes 25 minutes to get to one.

I hope justice is served against the management and corporate give Chris a bonus or a raise. He did what he should have. Way to go Chris!!!!

Okay my two cents time

the Best Buy near me: Castleton, Indianapolis,IN ----

CROWDED ALL THE TIME + LOTS OF EMPLOYEES + WAREHOUSE STYLE + ALWAYS OUT OF CERTIAN THINGS YOU ARE SPECIFICALLY LOOKING FOR + "WORST PARKING LOT EVER" = WASTE OF TIME

seriouslly, they need more than one North location in Indy....its just too over crowded, the parking lot is too small and really worst store location in the mall area, they should move the store so they have more parking space, larger store, a store big enough, it don't feel like an overcrowded market place, never being able to find exactlly what you are looking for almost everytime, not enough selection of some things....but seriouslly need to build a new store, larger, more space, and maybe based on one of their "5-7" special versions of their stores I hear they have around the States...

----as for the Geek Squad, I don't know them, I don't want to work for them, as I hate their attire....so.....corporate/jahovah witness dressing....really.....and I hate both BB and GS commericals

BTW....Circuit City seems to have become just like them here....overllly small store, over crowded cramped feeling...

This is why I shop CompUSA, large open spaced store, seem to be more knowledgeable at times, and not over crowded often, and can find almost everything I am looking for....

also: Frye Electronics......also large, open spaced somewhat....but over crowded.....need another North side store.... knowledgeable employees somewhat

On a note on the Article:

They could get sued, its false advertising....does not matter if a local management decided to do whatever....

BTW....how do you define LOCAL MANAGEMENT?....is it just that store, or the surrounding stores too?....Regional?....

---If they are going to refund them....which they will not be able to do unless they know who bought from them (simple receipt paid in cash may not work....because we know how stores are "we can only give store credit!")

CCity did the package deals but it was clearly posted that they were doing such a thing. I'm not quite sure if it was available otherwise though... (I don't quite pay attention to what goes on in the games section - I just do my PC Technician stuff ;))

oh so u work at BB and in the Geek Squad

maybe its time u changed jobs

586855024[/snapback]

Go away.

So you are calling myself, cswadner, and other people on this board ******s without even knowing us?

586854669[/snapback]

i work at futureshop which is owned by best buy and was told i couldnt buy my 360 which i had on pre order because employees had to give up their pre orders, i still got mine after fighting but i would have quit if i didnt get it because i wont deal with a idiotic company that wouldnt let me get my pre order which i paid full price anyways and i was the only employee to pre order at my store, and im working nights so it really made me mad that when i got off i was told i couldnt get it.

Edited by rmorris003

586855024[/snapback]

Wow.... just wow....

as for the Geek Squad, I don't know them, I don't want to work for them, as I hate their attire....so.....corporate/jahovah witness dressing....really.....and I hate both BB and GS commericals

Jahovah's witness? Wow, I've never gotten that one before. Been told plenty of times that we look like Missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, but never a Jahovah's Witness.

ahfunaki, cswander, or bangbang: Whats the number for corporate management?

586855210[/snapback]

As I said in my earlier post 1-888-BestBuy (just realized I put 800 instead of 888 earlier).

As for defining local management, that would be the store and the store alone. A General Manager, Sales Manager, PC Area Manager etc... Regional, aka District staff are under close watch of Minnesota and are visited frequently. What it comes down to for any employee of Best Buy is this... You can only speak for the stores that you have worked at, and what corporate policy is (which many people don't take the time to research, so they shouldn't open their mouths to begin with). That is it. Not every store is operating the exact same way, and no store has the same people working inside, so to make generalizations as a company is wrong.

Edited by cswadner

Who's making generlizations? Clearly this is a company wide problem like I posted earlier http://www.bestbuysux.org/ is more than enough proof it's happening through out the entire chain.

586855959[/snapback]

How often do people stand up and applaud a company in a public setting? How often do people complain about a bad experience?

There is not one position that is paid on commission, everybody is either a salaried or hourly employee.

586854473[/snapback]

If they are paid salary or hourly, then explain why they would deceive and rip people off by using such flagarant "bait and switch" techniques, especially to an 11 year old?

yeah i was number 8 in line at best buy for the 360, when they came out said you had to buy it in a bundle. I was ****ed as the bundle was $552 and I had $520 in my account. I immediately left my spot in line and went to my work who was releasing it 2 hours later then BB but it was sold at the retail price by it self with all the accessories left up to you, the way it should be.

I feel sorry for the Best Buys out there that actually do things honestly (which is very few of them, i've met quite a few people in their company) The whole non commission thing is true, except for the fact supervisors and above all earn bonuses based on their numbers. And someone is actually going to think the management won't do whatever it takes to line their own pockets? Give me a break, of course they are. They cease to be generalizations when its happening constantly across the company. People like Bangbang are the exceptions to the rule, *not* the norm. Nearly anyone who's spent any time in a Best Buy knows that.

I'm sure officially their corporate will give their employees some sort of a slap on the hand through some newsletter over this 360 bundling, but its already too little, too late. They are there to make money, not be your friend, regardless of how nice they may seem.