MOTORAZR V3 Review

Good neutral review. I used to like the razr until I noticed that everyone started owning one and started seeing other cellphones in the same price range with better features :rolleyes:

I swear I see so many razr's from customers at work now, it's like civics. They're everywhere. A person must be crazy to buy the V3 when it came out at that outrageous price of 300-400 USD for something that comes with a 0.3mp camera and no expansion card. Yes, I do realise that cellphones aren't all about cameras. In fact, I'm looking for a phone so I can talk, not take pictures and play games but it seems nowadays that they all do those extra features so I'm stuck and I figure, mind as well get the phone with the best features for the price since I can't get away from these features!

The RAZR V3x is a version of the razr that actually has good specs but at $770 USD? I'm not crazy. :|

-Nashy

Somebody buy this man a thesaurus! :)

alright well now that I got the cheap shot out the way Im going to have to call shinanigans.

Its very percuiler to me that there could be such a great difference in signal strength on the same network. For me.. wherever Ive been Ive had full to near full in signal strength. Then again Im in a highly poupated area. HOWEVER, It does rate better then my old phone on a different network. Im sorry about the price down there. Nothing I can do about that. But up here it is/was $100, For that price I dont really expect very fancy features like pic's and video in high quality. Besides, the smaller the easier to send/save. You talk about the phones awkward buttons on the top but if you use the phone long enough youll relize those are the features youll use least often(open: ring vol. up/ring vol. down/voice message/name speak)(closed: audio style/self portrait pic) (incall: speaker vol. up/vol. down). I do agree with you however. the phone requires that you *wiggle* your hand up to the top to press any of the buttons and due to the slimness of the top portion you cant keep your fingers on anywhere else except the exact oppisite side where its very easy to accidently press the buttons on the other side. For being a full color slim phone I dont really shoot the phone for bad battery life. However I can get 3-4 days easily.

I like a fully customized phone so the miles and miles of settings and menu's doesnt bother me. About your comment about the antenna being on the bottom. Is that based on fact or from your holding-the-phone-higher experiments?

Edited by hobblyhoy

Antenna in the bottom:

1. My tests sohwed where it was in relation to my hand covering it.

2. I opened a water damage unit up the other day, so I saw it.

On the strength, I'm just telling people from my experiance with the mobile. Not that of everyone, thats why I ended with

"I think I got all I needed. Obviously this is based on my experiance, using the Australian version of the phone. This is basically the same for two models I have used."

I can't report for every user in the world, on every network, compared to every phone.

In Australia, the V3 was $900+ when it came out, I don't actually remember there ever being a Razr before the V3. Very expensive, for very little in return.

While we throw cheap shots. I suggest you check with an English teach on the correct grammar to use with the English language. Maybe, a little lesson in paragraphs? :-)

Is the water damage unit a piece of the phone? never heard of it before.

As far as signal strength goes It seems to be so flip floped nowadays I dont know what to trust. We'll call it 'void'. Sorry if my "testing name" came off cocky. I was trying to think of some proper verbage and thats all that came to mind.

:) bah, who uses grammer in a forum :)

Is the water damage unit a piece of the phone? never heard of it before.

As far as signal strength goes It seems to be so flip floped nowadays I dont know what to trust. We'll call it 'void'. Sorry if my "testing name" came off cocky. I was trying to think of some proper verbage and thats all that came to mind.

:) bah, who uses grammer in a forum :)

No. The phone I opened was water damaged. Meaning the owner decided to take it for a swim.

My friend fixes cell phones, and he has opened a RAZR. He told me the build quality and the materials used inside are very cheap and crappy. Therefore, I rest my case.

dL

If anyone is thinking about buying this phone - don't. I have the V3x which is the 3G version of this phone, sure it's a little thicker but it has superior features (2 megapixel camera, 3G, high resolution screen, 64MB built-in memory with memory card support and it's also MUCH faster than the V3 which is very sluggish. I love my V3x :D

If anyone is thinking about buying this phone - don't. I have the V3x which is the 3G version of this phone, sure it's a little thicker but it has superior features (2 megapixel camera, 3G, high resolution screen, 64MB built-in memory with memory card support and it's also MUCH faster than the V3 which is very sluggish. I love my V3x :D

well the v3 is pretty old (in today's standards) and it was the first version to come out lol.

My friend fixes cell phones, and he has opened a RAZR. He told me the build quality and the materials used inside are very cheap and crappy. Therefore, I rest my case.

dL

I've opened a lot of phones in my time, I wouldn't say the materials are bad, I would say they just arn't strong enough. The boards are thinner, and more fragile.

• 2 weeks later...

My GF has this phone, and to be blunt, it's turd!

The camera is crap comparable to others releaed around the same time.

The microphone is over sensitive.

The call quality is muddy at best.

The menu is slow and non-intuitive.

The keypad hs too little travel.

The screen is next to useless.

This phone is a success of marketing based around perceived desirability. I say perceived because even though everybody and their dog has one, customers still see it and think it looks "special".

• 2 weeks later...

Thats another thing with the Razr series. Unlike other mobile phone companies, Motorola has made this imo, a non business phone.

So things like desktop chargers arn't available for it.

Other companies will make their phones to appeal to one group of people, but will never limit the phones capability for all the markets.

Here in Australia, we have just had a Moto V3x released on Three. First impressions arn't good. Looks very funny, and well, what more can I say. I don't think it will sell well for the following reasons:

- Three Network in Australia sucks ass

- Its ugly

- Plenty of people don't like it in black

jeeze Trek, if you would have waited a couple months you could have gotten a V3c Razr on Telus Mobility so you didn't have to change providers :p lol. I was looking at the Moto Razr from Telus Mobility but $400 for a phone (Ya...still have 2 years left on my contract so i have to pay full price) is a bit steep.

I'm waiting for an mp3 player LG phone from Telus :p

Bottom line people, DON'T GET MOTOROLA, I MEAN IT! Take your money elsewhere, to a better company that won't sell you horsesh*t I have gone through 4 different ones which I had to replace because they all had horrible problems. The firmware is very unstable, and is horribly designed compared to other brands. I have spent so much money because of this infectious company that I could have gotten my laptop much sooner. I have had 3 major emergencies where my cell phone could have made the difference but instead it made it worse. On one of the phones, sometimes when I pressed a button or Talk, the phone would shut off then come back on instantly after a couple seconds. On another phone the backlight and screen stopped working and they were asking for $160 to repair the damn thing after I had spent about $200 on the phone itself.

By the way, the motorolas I have ever owned were the C333, the V60i, the V551, and the V3 Razr. I am a person that treats his things with the utter-most care and I get anxious when I see the tiniest hairline scratch but these phones all had serious problems. All but the C333 and the Razr I have replaced once and still something didn't go right after some time.

I passed on the V3 the minute I saw it. Looked flimsy in construction, hinge looked like if a little too much

pressure was applied it would snap right off. I opted for the Sony S710a which I've been completely happy

with. I think the "wow" factor of the V3 when it first came out is what attracted a lot of people to this phone.

Heck, I get more "wow" from my swivel phone LOL. Plus the camera produces a much better picture.

:alien: