A Neowin Guide to Linux Distributions

I think so far Red Hat is not mentioned here.

redflag.gif

Two decades research on open system conducted by the Chinese Academy of Sciences, ten years experience of Chinese language system development, those are the basis of Red Flag first-class technology. And it’s worthy to mention that Red Flag delivered over 1.15 million sets of desktop for OEM bundle with PC in 2002.

Red Flag is focused on the development and marketing of Linux-based operating systems and application software on multiple platforms for the constantly growing base of Chinese technology users. A comprehensive line of Red Flag Linux solutions has been introduced to the marketplace. These include the Red Flag Linux Server, Red Flag Linux Desktop, Red Flag Linux operating system for IBM S/390/Alpha/Intel/PA RISC/Sun Sparc host, Red Flag Linux server for high performance enterprise applications, plus the Embedded Linux OS for Set Top Boxes, PDAs, and thin clients, among others.

English version of Red-hat could be found at http://www.redflag-linux.com/eindex.html

• 3 weeks later...
Ubuntu Linux, it just speaks for it self

I'm waiting for them to send me the CDs :p

Btw, my college provided for us a moddified version of Knoppix with portuguese interface and java 1.5...

Oddly, some computer don't detect it as a bootable/system/live CD (mine too).

What could be the reasons for this to happen?

I'm waiting for them to send me the CDs  :p

Btw, my college provided for us a moddified version of Knoppix with portuguese interface and java 1.5...

Oddly, some computer don't detect it as a bootable/system/live CD (mine too).

What could be the reasons for this to happen?

584800171[/snapback]

Sounds like a classic "boot order" issue, where the computer is set to boot from hard drive before CD-ROM.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

* Added Ubuntu to the list, courtesy of metal_dragen's input *

* Also edited Red Hat/Fedora to focus more on Fedora, rather then the expired Red Hat Linux line *

* Oh, yeah... And added Slax to the Live CDs, since it is mentioned frequently *

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Yeah, but are those are really "gentoo"?  You gotta do a stage 1 to feel all gentooy inside.  It is worth it.

1854292[/snapback]

I don't get why people think bootstraping is so 1337. Seriously, I avoid stage 1 installs like the plague. It's a proven fact that if you do a stage 1 you leave your self more prone to circular dependencies, and other problems. Stage 2 is the way to go, and only do a stage 1 if you really want to do some SERIOUS optimisations. No, -O3 does not count.

I don't get why people think bootstraping is so 1337.

A bit like why I don't get why people think using Gentoo is l33t.

Or people who have "99.99% of all Windows users are noobs, this includes the people who think they are "power users". in their sigs think they're l33t.

./ponders adding "99,99% of Linux users are clueless tards." in his sig.

can you add yoper?

i can write it if you want...

585712636[/snapback]

Write up something and post it here.

I can add it to the first post.

• 2 weeks later...

How bout arch linux? It a i686 optimized distro. It kinda similar to slackware but has a great package manager. Arch is great if you want binrary packages that are fast for you system

How bout arch linux? It a i686 optimized distro. It kinda similar to slackware but has a great package manager. Arch is great if you want binrary packages that are fast for you system

585782109[/snapback]

Well... Last person who offered to write up a short little something ended up getting banned. I assure you it was completely unrelated to offering to do a short write up, so if you want to do a writeup for me to add to the first post, please do. I am reasonably sure you won't get banned. :ninja:

• 1 month later...

ok i've been thinking i want to run linux on mine just to see what its like. i was going to try Knoppix just so i can see what its like, and if i like it i will actualy install a distro. but i don't know which one to choose yet.

Knoppix is a good choice for someone who just wants to see what Linux can be like. (plus it has a lot of nice ultilities that can be handy in a Windows environment - re-partioner, virus scanner, etc.)

What do you mean you don't know what one to choose yet? Which final distro, or which version of Knoppix?

Well after i decide wether i want to learn more about linux i don't know which distro to go to after that. i think my dad has a copy of Fedora, so i think i might try that.

I use Fedora, and I like it (but I cut my teeth on Red Hat, so it is familiar to me).

You really can't go wrong. You try it, and if you don't quite like it, install Ubuntu (Linux can keep your /home data like emails and web bookmarks etc nice and safe). (Y)

i've decided to just skip knoppix and go right to Fedora. i have a blank partition im going to instal it on tomorrow. i was wondering what should i exept when i book up for the first time?