A Neowin Guide to Linux Distributions

I already have Windows XP installed, my question is if i install linux, ubuntu in particular, will a boot manager be provided, or do i first have to install linux, then Windows XP... thanks

I already have Windows XP installed, my question is if i install linux, ubuntu in particular, will a boot manager be provided, or do i first have to install linux, then Windows XP... thanks

586013456[/snapback]

If you have Win XP installed then go to install Ubuntu, you should be prompted if you want to install Ubuntu to another partition or drive. After you choose, then you will be asked about a boot loader. It should detect Win XP and then add it to the GRUB menu so that when you reboot your PC, you will get a menu to choose Win XP or Ubuntu...or whatever other OS's you have installed.

I haven't installed Ubuntu for a long time, but there is a way to dual-boot.

If you have Win XP installed then go to install Ubuntu, you should be prompted if you want to install Ubuntu to another partition or drive.  After you choose, then you will be asked about a boot loader.  It should detect Win XP and then add it to the GRUB menu so that when you reboot your PC, you will get a menu to choose Win XP or Ubuntu...or whatever other OS's you have installed.

I haven't installed Ubuntu for a long time, but there is a way to dual-boot.

586013477[/snapback]

sweet... thanks :D

i've decided to just skip knoppix and go right to Fedora. i have a blank partition im going to instal it on tomorrow. i was wondering what should i exept when i book up for the first time?

586013447[/snapback]

The installation process is documented here: http://anyweb.kicks-ass.net/computers/os/l...berg/index.html

Should give you an idea of what will be asked and performed during the install.

Make sure your 'blank' partition is unpartitioned and unused, then tell the installer to use the "unused" space. (Y)

Well i can't keep my story strait. I just tried installing Ubuntu and it all installed corectly, including GRGUB, which found Windows XP. but when i booted next time without the CD, i get an error message that says

Grub loading..

Error 16

then it just stops and i can't get back into windows XP. Google did no help, should i just uninstall everything from the partition and try reinstalling it?

---

EDIT: I just reinstalled and now i get Grub Error 17..

AGAIN: I've done a little research and i found some information on this one. I think i might know what to do. Thank god i have a backup of my PC...

Edited by Dallas

Well, first thing to do would be to put in your XP CD and go to recovery console and perform a fixmbr and/or fdisk /mbr to restore your Windows boot ability.

Then, since GRUB seems unhappy, we can try using the Microsoft NT Boot Loader:

http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

(yes, the GRUB thing probably has a good reason it isn't working - drive geometry/paritioning issue or something - but it could take a while to diagnose and resolve. I'll recommend a different method to get around GRUB)

I have an AMD Athalon [Time Machine!] (1400MHz, 60GB, 128MB RAM) and I was wondering what Gentoo distro to use... I tried x86 and realised that that didn't work... so I have just put Slackware 10.0 on it for the moment...

Which Gentoo distro do I use?

Hmmm... x86 should be the right choice. I am not sure about Gentoo specifics, but when it came time to determining processor type, did you specify something wrong? :unsure:

I use an x86 version of Fedora on my AthlonXP 1600+ (1200MHz), and there aren't any compatibility issues there.

ArchLinux is an i686 optimized distro. Arch is sort of like Slackware and Gentoo in some ways. There is nice and easy text based interface installer. During the install process the installer lets you format the hard drive with cfdisk or it can do it automatically. Then it will install the basic packages and kernel. If you download the bigger iso (full) you can also install xorg, and other app. Once the installer gets done installing the packages then you need to edit /etc/rc.conf /etc/fstab /grub/menu.lst /etc/lilo.conf, etc... You have a choice between lilo and grub as your boot loader. Grub is better supported. Then you install grub / lilo to the HD and reboot. Once you reboot you setup the Internet and run 'pacman -Syu' pacman is a packages manager. The S in the command download and install software. The y sync the data base of apps/programs and the u looks for updates of already installed packages. Once done you can go install all you other programs that you want by doing 'Pacman -S programname'

**Features**

Pacman file Manager

Pacman automatically detects which dependencies are needed

Install only what you want

Configure you system and make it the way you want to make

Extremely Easy + Fast to install

This distro is not for New comers you need to have some knowledge of linux

Altough they say its not for newcomers anyone with half a brain could install it. I didnt know pretty much anything before i installed it and now i know quite a bit (from my point of view :p). :D

Altough they say its not for newcomers anyone with half a brain could install it. I didnt know pretty much anything before i installed it and now i know quite a bit (from my point of view :p). :D

586039698[/snapback]

Good Point but you need have guides etc...

I enjoyed using something easier at first than advancing

I know someone who didn't use any other distro and went staight to arch so it basically up to the person and how much they want to drive in at first

I've read through but I'm still not sure. I currently have LBA - Linux Business Association, installed as my secondary OS but I can't install anything and it has bad driver support from ATi. I'm looking for a distro that will have a GUI, be pretty simple to get up and running and to maintain, play my games (just doom3 and americas army, possibly also HL2 and CS : S) .

I just need something simple, but fairly powerful, I can't get my head around the command type box thing and whenever I download the ATi driver's they come as a .run which my distro doesn't know what to do with, and nor do I.

Can anyone suggest anything? I was looking at getting the latest version of Redhat?

I can't get my head around the command type box thing and whenever I download the ATi driver's they come as a .run which my distro doesn't know what to do with, and nor do I.

586052774[/snapback]

I am gussing here, but if it was a 'normal' file download, then the execute permission will be stripped, meaning that your .run won't run.

I know that you said you aren't tuned-into the commandline thing, but you would have to chmod a+x filename to add the execute attribute to 'all' ("a+x") for that file. Then you would be able to run it.

But, I agree with Lord Death. I think you would be better off with something a bit more mainstream than LBA.

I just installed SuSE and due to all the updates it took ages but It doesn't work. It gets to the boot selection it selects linux it loads everything then I get a black screen and some music and it sits there.

I was hoping to not to have to download another distro, but I suppose I will.

I'll try Ubuntu, thanks for the help.

Is it possible that the screen refresh/resolution is just out of range?

Press CTRL+ALT+[num pad plus] or CTRL+ALT+[num pad minus] to change video modes.

• 4 weeks later...
Lycoris seems really cool and also looks good. Anyone here try it out? It looks like its not free though :(

586169258[/snapback]

According to Distrowatch.com

Lycoris ceased to be an independent distribution after it was acquired by Mandriva in June 2005.

Not sure what the future holds from Mandriva/Lycoris..

I tried Arch Linux and don't reccomend it. It did NOT install any package but it did install the kernel.

I tried Arch Linux and don't reccomend it.  It did NOT install any package but it did install the kernel.

586188866[/snapback]

It did not install any package? C'mon - you must have worked that out somehow, so I'm guesing you had a command line at least - thats the bash package right there, plus that depends on a whole bunch of other packages. I'm going to assume that it installed what's known as a "base system", which is the very bare minimum required to have a working linux box. By working I don't mean able to browse the web and check email and play silly little games, by working I mean "able to execute programs".

That is what arch does - it gives you a base system only, and if you want anything else added on top of that you have to add it manually. You also have to know what you're doing in terms of what packages you'll require to be able to turn a base system install into a fully working desktop box. There are plenty of other distros that do the same - gentoo, crux, even debian to a certain extent.

Unless you mean the install just died on you and failed to install anything, in which case I apologise for my somewhat caustic post.