A Neowin Guide to Linux Distributions

Well I installed the packages but the damn installer as well as the distro uses devfs, the worst thing to come out of Linux.

I tried arch again and got it installed. Not too fond of it. I can't really blame it though as the distro is still young and hasn't reached gold yet.

I tried arch again and got it installed.  Not too fond of it.  I can't really blame it though as the distro is still young and hasn't reached gold yet.

586196233[/snapback]

I wouldn't call it young but you have to know you hardware configuration some what. :cool: And of course arch is "bleeding edge" so a new package might have a problem. :whistle:

I haven't had a problem with arch in a while and if there is an issue they fix it asap.

Maybe better luck next time ;)

• 5 weeks later...
if you want a real linux get gentoo man its one of the best. Hard to install but its awesome

586375897[/snapback]

^^

If you want a real linux get LFS :yes:

P.S. You might like archlinux.... if you don't like compiling from source, one thing I like about arch is that its 'bleeding edege' oh and the install is also easier than gentoo.

One thing I like about Arch is the ability to install binary packages (through pacman) when you want, and compile them from source (using ABS) whenever you feel like. In both cases, you get your package neatly integrated with the package manager.

^^

Why? Because linspire is a joke, a big fat joke! First they bash microsoft, secondly it meant for people with no knowledge, thridly they charge $50 just but firefox and openoffice on cd in there package format, though I do hear they donate a lot of there funds to the Opensource community. Anyways there is also a charge to get access to there repo, so if you kno what your doing why use something like linspire?

How about Linspire then? Why is everybody so anti-Linspire?

586389210[/snapback]

I am not anti-Linspire. I don't like it, personally. There are shortcomings to some of the choices they have made in their standard user setup, and it isn't as 'free' as other Linuxes.

But, underneath that, it is a fairly easy-to-use Linux. Apple has done a better job making an easy-to-use BSD, but I am sure that many BSD users think Apple users aren't real BSD users, and you shouldn't have to pay for such restricted use of something that should be free. ;)

^^

IMO I think apple did such a great job with Mac OS X that it should not be free but they shoudl compile the binary for ppc, x86, x86_64 and if they sell it for $100 like they have been I think it would be a major success but that will never happen :(

• 1 month later...

^^

No I don't think so. I just took the test and it really doesn't help you. I got most of all the linux distros that use gnome. Now if I was new I would have no clue which to try first and probably post on neowin.

• 2 months later...

I don't think it gives you enough options in the distro chooser, but it told me gentoo and slackware, the only two (non-livecd) distribs i've used in a long time (used fedora core 1 when it came out too.)

• 2 weeks later...

These entries were removed from the first post:

Lycoris Desktop/LX (let's not give people too many choices)

http://www.lycoris.com/

Desktop/LX is an operating system designed with your ease of use in mind. Desktop/LX loads ready for Internet access, office productivity, multimedia, entertainment, and more.

Desktop/LX presents you with a clean slate on which to work. A simple and familiar layout will help you start working right away. Desktop/LX uses drag and drop, so linking to and working from the desktop is a breeze.

Everytime you boot Desktop/LX or if you add a USB device, My Linux System automatically detects new supported drives. You can also use the Rescan Hardware link in the left pane to list new devices.

SmoothWall Linux (more appropraite for the server section)

http://www.smoothwall.org

A very lightweight and easy to install linux distro aimed soley for router boxes. It's only a small download (~20megs) and yet can be configured as a DHCP server, transparent cache, dialup server (automatically dialup when any PC on the network requests a net connection), broadband server (supports many ADSL modems and ISDN), has a firewall and is easy to configue after the initial install via SSH or it's web interface. Definately recommended for serving a net connection for a LAN. :cool:

Turbo Linux (isn't this dead? maybe not but it isn't popular for desktops)

http://www.turbolinux.com/

Turbolinux is the leading supplier of Linux operating systems in Asia Pacific. The product portfolio also includes multiplatform clustering and distributed computing software to bring high-availability and high throughput to the enterprise. Turbolinux is now part of UnitedLinuxTM, a global, uniform distribution of Linux for business supported by a majority of enterprise system and software vendors.

PClinuxOS (we already have an entry for LiveCD distros, knoppix has used ALSA for some time now!)

http://www.pclinuxonline.com

PCLinuxOS is a Mandrake based distro that runs off of a CD. It is very good looking and easy to configure. PCLinuxOS has a Control Center which allows you to configure most settings. It has Mozilla Firebird, Java, Flash, and nVidia drivers all by default. It also doesn't have more than one program to do one task, so it is cleaner to navigate. "I use it whenever I install Gentoo so that at least I can listen to music and surf the web while everything is compiling. By the way, it uses ALSA, unlike Knoppix. It is the most advanced, yet easy to use live-cd that I have ever used."

• 1 month later...
Nice job, but I maybe missed Linspire here...

Did you miss it? It was mentioned six months ago. By you.

How about Linspire then? Why is everybody so anti-Linspire?

I guess it was time for you to bump the thread by mentioning it again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks a lot for this FAQ, not even a Google search term for "Best Linux Distro" could bring up a good FAQ like this!

Thanks a lot for this FAQ, not even a Google search term for "Best Linux Distro" could bring up a good FAQ like this!

Indeed, I found this guide to be very useful.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...