myBB 1.0 released!

Question

MyBB 1.0 Released

Today, the MyBB Group presents you with MyBB 1.0. MyBB is a powerful, efficient and free forum package developed in PHP and MySQL. Developed with the end users in mind, you and your subscribers will feel right at home with full control over their accounts as well as your control over your forums.

MyBB 1.0 marks the end in along and painful process of various beta releases in our attempt to create a stable working copy of MyBB safe for use in production environments.

This release also fixes two sets of important security vulnerabilities discovered in MyBB. imei reported one set of vulnerabilities, which will not be made public under any advisory. The second set, discovered by tk fixes potential SQL injection problems with uncleaned variables. Coinciding with this release as an advisory outlining that these vulnerabilities exist, however no specific information will be released at this stage [details on affected arguments and files].

For this reason, we recommend all users update to 1.0 as soon as possible.

You may discuss this announcement here: http://community.mybboard.net/showthread.php?tid=5185

Thank you for your continued support,

Chris Boulton & MyBB Group.

New Features / Changes

We tried to keep the number of changes from PR2 to 1.0 at a bare minimum to ensure that new bugs weren?t created. Noticible changes include:

* A "Find Updated" link in the templates section which allows you to identify any custom templates that you currently have which have been updated since your last upgrade.

* A new default theme, based on ideas off Chris, Darren and Kilroy. The new theme includes an updated image set and logo.

Where to from here?

Several things are underway here at the MyBB Group. You?ll be hearing more about this soon, such as where we?re headed with MyBB now, as well as developments with documentation (the wiki), and team structural changes and new positions.

Upgrade Notes

Upgrading your board follows the same simple process that RC4 -> PR2 did.

You will not lose any changed templates if you?re running PR2. Earlier versions require a full revert to the standard MyBB templates.

Assuming you?re already running PR2:

* Upload all of the MyBB files with the exception of inc/config.php, and inc/settings.php.

* Run the upgrade script in your web browser at /install/upgrade.php.

* After the upgrade is complete, login to your Admin CP and use the ?Find Updated? tool in the templates section to search for any custom templates you have which may need to be updated. You?ll need to update your custom templates to contain the new code, or revert them to the default.

-- snip --

Also, Computer Guru, if you were any type of "coder" you would take pride in what you do and have no sympathy or remorse for anyone who steals and does not do their own work. (I.E. Originally ripping vBulletin.. that's strike 1, forgiven.. ripping IPS site design.. strike..2 shame on us for letting them get bye with it.. now useBB's site design being ripped and modified barely, strike 3.. I can't beleive anyone would have remorse for them.) - Despite how good their program may be, people need to look at the "light" side of this. myBB admins keep on doing this stuff, over and over again.

Depends on the way you look at things. IMO, when I code something, I don't mind if other people use my code for their products. Ok, I would get annoyed if they sold my code as part of the products, but if it's a freebie I wouldn't mind. Yes stealing* code from vB was wrong as vBs code is protected under it's license, but that code isn't there anymore. So what's the harm in using the current build?

*by stealing I don't actually mean stealing. Concepts and ideas were taken from vB, but code wasn't copied and pasted. It was not an exact rip.

Yes, it was. It was clearly stolen, and adjusted a little bit so that it didn't look like it was directly copied. That's the way a stealer would 'try' to get around it. Although he would never be able to use that in the court of law, it would never hold up.

Also, I don't mind if people use my code to learn, but not to redistribute with no copyrights to me as in my liscences. That, and vBulletin doesn't have the same liscences that I write in. I do Open Source code, which is a whole different thing in an entirety. Although, I would be might ****ed if when I release NeoBB, that someone comes along and tries to punk that right out from underneith of me, chances all the copyrights, etc.. and trust me.. it's more apparent to the developer than the common user.. we know our own work when we see it.

Speaking of iceBB: what about them? most if it is using the IPB code.... but Matt knew to keep his trap shut, beacause they did nothign illegit..

:laugh: Where did you hear that?

Someone does some kind of a financial coup, strengthens the rules regarding IPB critism (an issue brought up a while ago) and gets nothing but praise. Do you really have sand in your eyes?

I have yet to see IPS intervene in any thread at all on TFI.

That is true..

Never in a thousand years will I not be able to recognize my own work..

And I don't care if people use my source, but you are right, I'd love to be credited for it at the very least.

I almost had to say that. Although, Matt 'did' try and rectify a lot of situations that he dug himself into. Although that goes for any businessman. I think that, that guy was trying to say .. that the only reason they brought TFI was so they could shut people up about IPS. As true as that might be, I have yet to see it.. and I highly doubt that will be the case.

The site is dead anyways.... well.. is getting there.

You have yet to see them because they simply vanish heh :devil:

Wow.

MyBB is definetly not a ripoff, I personally know the coder myself (Chris) for a year now, I did a few mods, and when I need help, he know's exactly how to do the perfect SQL queries, and code it perfectly. I'm assured he hasn't ripped a BIT of it.

End of.

nvez, you're ate up - he was busted red handed. You know... it doesn't take a 'real' coder.. to code in PHP. That's the only thing that makes me sick about the language. All it takes is a good friend called g-o-o-g-l-e.

nvez, you're ate up - he was busted red handed. You know... it doesn't take a 'real' coder.. to code in PHP. That's the only thing that makes me sick about the language. All it takes is a good friend called g-o-o-g-l-e.

Since when was he busted red handed, they were accused of copying parts of the code and that was it - but the charges were dropped under the fact that they were not going to make money out of it.

Exactly the charges were dropped. There were means of charges being there, he was busted.. red handed. It's pretty hard not see this, please open up a browser and search for three words myBB stolen vBulletin, you will see tons of discussion on it.

Wow.

MyBB is definetly not a ripoff, I personally know the coder myself (Chris) for a year now, I did a few mods, and when I need help, he know's exactly how to do the perfect SQL queries, and code it perfectly. I'm assured he hasn't ripped a BIT of it.

End of.

I do not say the coding is ripped but I say the overall appearance looks like a hybrid of VB & IPB

People, including you icat. When we're talking about the coding - we're not talking about the HTML. We are talking the PHP itself. Dont stop here, keep reading.

1. The PHP now is NOT stolen!! Quit thinking that's what I'm saying.

2. They were BUSTED RED HANDED before!

3. The FRONTPAGE of their SUPPORT WEBSITE is an absolute RIP (with minor changes) of the support site of UBB

4. This isn't the first time they took a support sites look.. they took IPB's a while back.

That's 4 points that many of you are not getting.

People, including you icat. When we're talking about the coding - we're not talking about the HTML. We are talking the PHP itself. Dont stop here, keep reading.

1. The PHP now is NOT stolen!! Quit thinking that's what I'm saying.

2. They were BUSTED RED HANDED before!

3. The FRONTPAGE of their SUPPORT WEBSITE is an absolute RIP (with minor changes) of the support site of UBB

4. This isn't the first time they took a support sites look.. they took IPB's a while back.

That's 4 points that many of you are not getting.

I cant give my opinion on the PHP-code part but I have news for you: Even companies rip layouts. Just look at the much appreciated Plesk with its Windows XP look.. and with it dozens of other programs that impersonate several elements of Windows. IPB stole vB's archiving concept and called it Lo-Fi version. I'd really love to see a screenshot of a comparison of the useBB and the myBB support page because I really see 2 entirely different page. You can't tell me that you're talking about the boxes on the right and the news section on the left side.. that'd be just hilarious. "Look this guy made a page with 2 boxes on the left and a news section. He is such a thief." IPB isn't entirely free of "ripping layouts" and scripts too as mentioned before.

Really, Jelsoft has a big mouth because they feel the hot breath in their back of the people who are sick of paying for forum software that runs on a free scripting-language, webserver and databaseserver and might consider a unbloated bulletin board package that doesn't cost them a dime. So far I didn't hear of any lawsuit. vB is no party in this, only a judge has the right to say whether it's stolen or not.

I'll say two things:

1. You're right a judge is the only one who can decide, although I've shown you the old differences and myBB would've lost that battle, quickly!

2. I agree with the whole vBulletin bloated/pricing issue. Thus, the creation of neoBB. Release date set for February 14th (V-tines day).

I'll say two things:

1. You're right a judge is the only one who can decide, although I've shown you the old differences and myBB would've lost that battle, quickly!

2. I agree with the whole vBulletin bloated/pricing issue. Thus, the creation of neoBB. Release date set for February 14th (V-tines day).

1. Let's really stop about this. MyBB has gone gold and I am almost sure every release from now on will be entirely custom-coded. Chris's blog theme has been ripped too and he surely does not approve ripping anything.

2. I have to admit this NeoBB sounds interesting. Is there any official site for it yet?

1. We will agree, from this point on to drop the criticism. We all have our views and in order to keep the Neo family intact we should just agree to disagree.

2. There is nothing officially for it yet. Development just started yesterday. Templating, Globalizing Checks, and Core includement just started yesterday. (That just mumbo jumbo for it's really fresh.) The night concluded with implementing all error checking schemes as possible last night. That doesnt dare even state that the conclusion of error checking is done, but it's sufficiant for what is done.

Today's TODO list is minor, but is as follows. Implement a global breadcrumb (Where the hell am I links).. and database global connectivity. After that modules will start. Forum Listing, Thread, and Post Listing. Once all base modules are built (Forums, Topics, Posts, Profiles, Control Panels, and Messenger) - the Admin Control Panel will be built. From there we will build the admin panel 'complete' from head to toe. It will mock the commonly over used phpBB, IPB, and vBulletin frameset.

After that, we will build in these added likes of the normal user and webmaster. Who is online, where at, and what for. Post, Thread, and Forum moderation. User editing, BBcodes, and Attachments.

Attachments, may or may not come as a default package - although, if I get the urge to do so it will be come a very important part. That will evolve to Avatars, and Signatures (Yes, attachable signatures if you wish. I still cannot figure out why this isn't an option in boards today. Just obviously make it optional so that webmasters with limited space do not have to worry about it.

-snip-

Sounds very cool. The main idea is to make it as modular as possible?

Is SEO high on your list? It surely is the buzzword of the last few years but I personally think Search Engine Optimalisation is something that can not be missed in the latest generation forum software.

It's not going to be my main focus, but I'll do what I can do.

Example: Make the keywords of the page, unique to the thread title, forum, or user profile name. It won't be 'great', but it will do the job. More things will come as suggestions are brought in.

Also, no the main idea isn't to make it as modular as possible - that's just going to be how it is. It won't be OO, but will be easily customizable and easy to add modules to it. I dont personally care if my code is OO, or plainly coded as long as it's clean and fast. I've never had slow code, whether it was OO, or ... not. We'll see how things turn out though as people get large boards, and lots of database size.

And you do realise he reads these forums and doesn't appreciate trolls posting in threads about his software.
Exactly the charges were dropped. There were means of charges being there, he was busted.. red handed. It's pretty hard not see this, please open up a browser and search for three words myBB stolen vBulletin, you will see tons of discussion on it.
There were no charges AT ALL. We were contacted for old code, code that I had NOTHING to do with.
Oh god, grow up. Did PC_Freak come and tell you to post that here?

The site design is entirely my own.

What the hell? No we haven't. Stop spreading crap.

Oh, so you develop forum software now too? I'll be sure to investigate every little bit of it and then post trash like this, shall i?

[edit] - May I add, you came here just to bash MyBB? Thats low.

[edit 2] - Just to fix up a few of your unfounded arguments:

1. The post icons, are clearly native to infopop boards.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030215073110/...y.mybboard.com/

2. Notice, it says RC2, but it's nowhere to be found. That's because they were not ALLOWED to release it.. too many vBulletin copies.

http://web.archive.org/web/20031217134536/.../downloads.html

3. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/archive/ind...hp/t-89371.html

Back when myBB .. copied the IPS site design

2. We relased RC1, RC2 all the way through to RC4. The archive URL you put there was when RC1 was released. Not RC2. Quite clearly, you're wrong.

3. The site in question there would be the same layout as the one you mentioned in point 2, which looks nothing like any IPS or IPB layout.

We have no need to copy anyone.

Edited by surfichris

All I have to say is this. I will not bash your script anymore, as it is very unprofessional of one to do.

We were contacted for old code, code that I had NOTHING to do with.

I absolutely apologize if this offends anyone, but what kindof of lead Developer does 'not' know what is going into his system. How can you 'not' know that your WHOLE permissions function was based off vBulletin, along with other functions. Now, providing you 'didnt' know they were there I apologize, but then again I apologize to you that you never were taught that you don't let others put in, and release code you do not personally check.

I absolutely apologize if this offends anyone, but what kindof of lead Developer does 'not' know what is going into his system. How can you 'not' know that your WHOLE permissions function was based off vBulletin, along with other functions. Now, providing you 'didnt' know they were there I apologize, but then again I apologize to you that you never were taught that you don't let others put in, and release code you do not personally check.
I was, back then, only one of the lead developers, and it is not my "job" to check what code people are adding into the release. I can't personally check something I don't own a valid license for, and i'm not about to go pirating or downloading illegal copies of a script to check that. I respect the licensing of other scripts, as a developer, and wouldn't do that to them.

Our reaction when we were contacted, was that we'd remove any offending code ASAP, we were happy to go along with what Jelsoft said and we were taking their word on it - as i'm sure anyone would if they were contacted.

In regards to not knowing, as well, this was back in 2003 (or maybe 2002?). This was before we had a version control system in place and was back when things werent coordinated then (having 4 lead developers using FTP to upload files making sure not to overwrite ones changes etc). Now that we have SVN in place, I personally review every changeset committed as well as the other developers - mainly so we know what is going on.

I was, back then, only one of the lead developers, and it is not my "job" to check what code people are adding into the release.

Sorry, but whether you're one or a part of a team - everyone should know the system like the back of their hand. Sorry, that's just my opinion. May not be respected, but it's an opinion at that.