[Review] Sony Ericsson W800i

Lingwo

I got this phone and first day i had it... wiped all my songs even the ones they provided on the memory stick. I'll have to get this firmware update.

I found though using the Disc2Phone app it worked fine but drag and drop sometimes wiped files.

baineteo

There's no way to hide them - there never was. The only way to hide it is to make a theme that camoflauges the words and the main screen background.

turkforce

mine got corrupted also the 2nd day i had the phone, but after a call with my provider i received a new memorystick, but i've still the same firmware, so i'm afraid that this one will get corrupted also. trying like a month to update on 3 different computers, all of them dont work.. now i've downloaded the SEUS II but it says 'server busy'.. i'll try again later i think.. does updating your firmware delete or reset anything??

Shetland

thanks,was a great review. but seriously, it's a phone, if you want a good video recorder, you should buy a good video recorder.

I personally would have wanted a better video recorder on my k750i (same camera hardware, software) and no i didnt want to get a good video recorder.

many people want decent video on their phone so your a minority here.

other phones do better video so its only fair this phone gets reviewed on it.

fantastic review man.

Martyn

Hey Martyn or any K750/W800 owners, do you happen to know how to hide the service provider on the main screen? I can't find the setting/option for it. I think I remember being able to do so on my T610.

The only known way of doing it is to get a blank operating logo. I did it on my Nokia 6230, and they have operator logo's on the SE so I presume it will work the same.

Dont ask me where to get a blank logo from though, as last time I got it off some random WAP site. Someone else might know though?

mine got corrupted also the 2nd day i had the phone, but after a call with my provider i received a new memorystick, but i've still the same firmware, so i'm afraid that this one will get corrupted also. trying like a month to update on 3 different computers, all of them dont work.. now i've downloaded the SEUS II but it says 'server busy'.. i'll try again later i think.. does updating your firmware delete or reset anything??

All the problems have been fixed now in the last firmware update. I had the server busy message, but I just kept trying and after about 5 try's it loaded up. Updating your firmware will not delete or reset anything aslong as you follow the instructions the installer gives you.

Nikolic

I've also managed to load the latest firmware onto my W800i. Look a bit of patience 'cause I kept getting the "Server Busy" message.

Well worth it in the end! I think it basically rules out any problems I had with my phone! It now works perfectly - no more BT d/c's, or memory stick problems.

I <3 my W800i :p

SnoopZ

I'm told K750i users can flash their phone with a W800i firmware. In what way will that change the phone ? The K750i is basically a W800i with less memory which can be upgraded. Or am i wrong?

Martyn

I'm told K750i users can flash their phone with a W800i firmware. In what way will that change the phone ? The K750i is basically a W800i with less memory which can be upgraded. Or am i wrong?

Flashing the K750i with W800i firmware, will give the K750i Walkman features. I'm not sure if they will work properly though. It would also give it generally improved features. In other words, I would reccomend it.

Basically the W800i is a revised and an improved version of the K750i, some people say it isnt but they are mainly people who have a K750i :)

Johnston

A new firmware has been released for the W800i, fixing the problems I talked about in my main review.

To update the firmware (some people are having problems updating), I did this and it worked fine:

Downloaded and installed SEUS II:

http://www.sonyericsson.com/downloads/Upda...Inst_2.2.10.exe

Followed the instructions and then it worked fine :D

anyone got a mirror the link seems to be dead

Colin-uk

Very nice looking phone :o

Great review :D

Martyn

anyone got a mirror the link seems to be dead

They must of changed the path for some reason, anyway I found it again:

Here you go

Techno_Funky

great review and a great phone

wish i could buy one :)

infact wanted to buy one but cash crunch

so bought myself an K700i on my Birthday

:)

deuz

sweet so nothings rong wif the phone lyk the new firmware fixed all probs? ...if so theats dam good

Martyn

sweet so nothings rong wif the phone lyk the new firmware fixed all probs? ...if so theats dam good

The firmware is like the OS of the phone, the hardware is like the internal parts. So most problems can be fixed if the phone company chooses to update their firmware regularly, im just glad that Sony Ericsson is one of those companies.

Wannes

Flashing the K750i with W800i firmware, will give the K750i Walkman features. I'm not sure if they will work properly though. It would also give it generally improved features. In other words, I would reccomend it.

Basically the W800i is a revised and an improved version of the K750i, some people say it isnt but they are mainly people who have a K750i :)

That's all relative, the main feature about the W800i is it's walkman. I don't think there are major firmware differences beyond that. But then again, I could be wrong.

turkforce

yeah problem solved by me too, it was very annoying, but at last after one corrupt memorystick, i can now upload files without a problem :D

baineteo
Flashing the K750i with W800i firmware, will give the K750i Walkman features. I'm not sure if they will work properly though.

Yes, it works perfectly fine. It voids your warrently, though.

Unreal

Yes, it works perfectly fine. It voids your warrently, though.

But if you flash back they'd never know :shifty:

Martyn

But if you flash back they'd never know :shifty:

:shiftyninja:

Syphonic

I really liked this phone until it started playing up, rebooting all the time. I updated the firmware and now the phone won't even turn on. Not impressed tbh.

Edited by Syphonic
andresisafk

A very nice review!

I've had my w800i for about 2? months.

til now i have had only 2 problems:

1) One lockup with the original firmware, but i updated it the next day to R1NA005.

2) Setting up the GPRS connection manually took about 3 hours(since it's an original SE phone, not from Orange/T-Mobile/etc...)

the battery is veeery good.

i often take the ICE where one way trip takes about 5

hours and at the end of the day I still have enough power to leave it on stand-by for about 3-5 days

(20-30min calling time a day)...

Mr magoo

Just to add = I own this phone and it is fantastic. A lot more stable than the t730 i used to have. Looks great, photos are top notch - well recommended.

Unreal

Im trying to install SEUS update on my pc, every time I try to install it crashes when I move my mouse...

Hmm

Tried my razer diamondback and standard logitech usb mouse...

Martyn

The only thing I am unsure about with this phone is the best way to charge it. I'm not sure if you are meant to fully drain the battery each time and then charge it to full capacity? Or do you charge it often (eg: dont let the capacity go under 50%)?

Any advice :)?

Unreal

The only thing I am unsure about with this phone is the best way to charge it. I'm not sure if you are meant to fully drain the battery each time and then charge it to full capacity? Or do you charge it often (eg: dont let the capacity go under 50%)?

Any advice :)?

Don't Drain The Battery

--------------------------------------------------

With Lithium batteries there is no advantage to draining the battery. The battery will infact last longer with partial rather than full discharges. There is no battery memory effect with a lithium battery - you can charge the battery whenever you like without fear of reducing its charge capacity, and you do not need to drain a lithium battery completely before recharging it.

Find out more about Lithium batteries here: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

In response to lots of questions about the battery, I've explained things in greater detail on page 4 of this thread.

From Esato

Hope that helps

Anyone got the answer to my q?