[Review] Sony Ericsson W800i

I'd just like to say I managed to fix mine with a proper software update (SE seem to have released a proper, functioning appliction for it now) and the firmware upgrade has made this phone even better, I get much better reception now.

Top class phone!

excellent review - I own the k750i and was thinking about getting the w800i firmware loaded on to get the walkman mode / flight mode stuff - but i'm just too much of a whimp to mess around with it.

as for looks - I agree that the w800i is more appealing. :)

Just thought i'd add my experience with it, i think is also the best phone i have ever owned. Most of the people i hang out with actually want it also. They find it appealing, the color, the features and just the whole package in general. Great phone....

Nice review, but not for me. Anything made by Sony, no thanks. I am not one for supporting companies that sue people for sharing music and install viruses on your computer.

I have been having some weird problems with adding music lately. I used to have a bunch of songs on the phone, but I took them off so I could put a load of new songs on (including some of the ones I took off). Most of the new ones I put on would play, but for some reason all the songs off a few albums (and funnily enough they were the same type of music, club music) would not play, I just get the error message "playback failed". I know for a fact that some of the songs used to play before on my phone, so what the hell is happening now? I tried formatting the memory card to know avail.

This is weird :blink:

Hi guys!

I wrote a review on the W800i too!

Since i thought there is already a review on it, i dont think i should be posting it again.

Here's the link to it on my blog(no ads)

http://satish.wordpress.com/2006/01/08/son...n-w800i-review/

Tell me what you think about it.

BTW, here is the update to this phone, the SE W810i. Its got EDGe this time around.

060103sonyericssonw8109kk.jpg

Read the article here

http://www.gsmarena.com/news-detail149.php

Edited by devilhead_satish

I like the K750i much better...The W800i looks like an orange juice accident, or a kid's toy. No thanks, give me a black or silver cell phone ;) I flashed my K750i to the latest W800i and get the same functionality, with no compromises. The advantage is a have a sleeker looking phone that doesn't look like it fell out of a pi?ata:pp

I like the K750i much better...The W800i looks like an orange juice accident, or a kid's toy. No thanks, give me a black or silver cell phone ;) I flashed my K750i to the latest W800i and get the same functionality, with no compromises. The advantage is a have a sleeker looking phone that doesn't look like it fell out of a pi?ata:pp

All depends on your preferences I guess, I bought the k750i and really like the lighter sportier look of the w800, still, I'll probably pick up the w810i this year, or wait for its inevitable Skype-enabled offspring 3 months later.

I like the K750i much better...The W800i looks like an orange juice accident, or a kid's toy.

I guess this is probably an age thing. To me a traditional black phone looks like an old mans phone whereas the W800i looks very cool (though it does take a bit of getting use to at first)! Each to their own :yes:

Alan

Question: When taking photos is there anyway to turn off the sound everytime you take a photo? I either am blind (as I have looked for it) or you can't do it? Maybe if the sound clip exists I could write over it with a 0kb file?

Other than that, I love this phone. I've been an owner for about 3 weeks.

Question: When taking photos is there anyway to turn off the sound everytime you take a photo? I either am blind (as I have looked for it) or you can't do it? Maybe if the sound clip exists I could write over it with a 0kb file?

Depending on the regional setting, silent MIGHT work. If not, I heard you can use DaVinci to edit some settings to make it silent.

I'm in the UK and when my phone is on silent mode, the camera does not sound when you take a photo. Simply hold the "#" key to activate silent mode.

I think its regional though.

I guess I have to figure out away to edit the sound file then because I did already have it on silent mode/profile:meeting and it still makes that loud shutter sound with it.

I guess I have to figure out away to edit the sound file then because I did already have it on silent mode/profile:meeting and it still makes that loud shutter sound with it.

Looks like it then. I think it is law for you have to have the camera making a noise when taking a photo outside Europe, to protect people's privacy. But it isnt law in Europe.

Depending on the regional setting, silent MIGHT work. If not, I heard you can use DaVinci to edit some settings to make it silent.

I made an "reflash" in my w800i to firmware v. R1AA008 and now the sound of camera is off when the phone is in silent mode. I used the DaVinci tool. :p

I bought the W800i over the K750i and i would agree with Martyn, it really is a very nice phone, easy to use and the mp3 sound quality is good. Too bad it don't have as much memory as i would have wanted, if only it would carry 4gb of music, then i wouldn't need to walk around carrying both my phone and my ipod, which adds up to over AUD $1000 XD.

I found holding the # key in till it says silent mode is on then you just goto photo mode and take a picture. Just remember to hold the # key in afterwards so it doesn't stay on silent.

I really liked this phone until it started playing up, rebooting all the time. I updated the firmware and now the phone won't even turn on. Not impressed tbh.

i felt the same way... i own a s700, and my friend upgraded to an w800i.. i couldn't get used to the smaller screen anymore lol.

i hope they plan on bringing over that updated version of the s700 over to the usa.. i'll grab that one over the w800...