Windows zero day nightmare exploited

I looked back at Steve Gibson's site and he now has this to say about Win9x:

Windows 98/SE/ME users: Microsoft's original advice to "unregister the shimgvw.dll" (shell image viewer) was never correct or useful on those platforms. The good news is that all current WMF exploits appear to be non-functional on the older Win9x vintage platforms . . . so you will likely be okay until Microsoft has updated your system with the next security patches. There is no short-term workaround for Windows 9x users.

That would explain why the WMF-checker gives my GF's WinME machine the all-clear (I haven't used the path on it, obviously). Other findings:

- WMF files render automatically in IE, both embedded (in IMG tag) and via hyperlinks.

- WMF renamed as JPG do not render (red X in both the above scenarios).

- Thumbnail display isn't affected by unregistering the DLL (nor are the IE scenarios).

Too bad Steve doesn't go further about the apparent non-functioning of the current exploits. Could it be that their payloads (rather than the exploit itself) simply aren't coded for Win9x...? If so, it's only a matter of time.

Too bad Steve doesn't go further about the apparent non-functioning of the current exploits. Could it be that their payloads (rather than the exploit itself) simply aren't coded for Win9x...? If so, it's only a matter of time.

yeah, they just wouldn't be coded for Win 9x, this "Feature" (was actually added by ms when they were designing WMF) exists as far back as Windows 3.0 apparently.

i havnt seen anyone mention this (i didnt read all the threads about this)

assoc .wmf=txtfile

anyone know if this would protect against it?? as it would be opening the file in notepad instead of image viewer

EIDT: lol i looked 2 pages back and it was discussed... ah well :(

hey is there away so that there isnt a blue background on my icons ?I want it back to what it was before when I could see thru their names

system properties --> advanced --> performance --> check the use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop

:)

hey is there away so that there isnt a blue background on my icons ?I want it back to what it was before when I could see thru their names

Turn off active desktop.