A departure from OS X

Oh, great. Now he's resorting to flaming. That'll help you prove your point and win you friends.

PS: The opinions of others are valid because links were posted proving those opinions. Sit here and whine about it all you want, it doesn't change the fact you've lost the argument.

:rolleyes:

Those links prove nothing. Did you even bother to read them in the context in which they were used? Only one link even remotely related to the topic being questioned, and it proved that OS X and XP were TIED in the area being discussed. I'm not whining about crap, and nothing has been lost. You people are delusional to the nth degree. I'm just trying to help a kid make a decision without being attacked by a bunch of fanatical freaks.

:rolleyes:

Those links prove nothing. Did you even bother to read them in the context in which they were used? Only one link even remotely related to the topic being questioned, and it proved that OS X and XP were TIED in the area being discussed. I'm not whining about crap, and nothing has been lost. You people are delusional to the nth degree. I'm just trying to help a kid make a decision without being attacked by a bunch of fanatical freaks.

1) He's already made the decision, see the thread? Congratulations on your promptness :rolleyes:

2) Again with the flaming. Yes, I suppose I am the delusional, fanatical, freak ###### for not listening to you and using the operating system I prefer :rolleyes:

3) Yes, I read the links, which show how using Macs are better for productivity. Less time for training? That means more time for work, and in turn, higher productivity. Less money spent on tech support and hardware/software? Not directly related to productivity, but a benefit, nonetheless. I certainly know you didn't take the time to read the 115 page PDF, but I'm sure you'd whine just as much about anything written there, as well. The other sites, showing Apple's higher ratings for customer support has just as much to do with productivity as the others. Better tech support means spending less time fixing problems. Longer average life of the computer means my equipment doesn't need to be replaced as quickly, saving money and time on setting up networks, preferences, etc. And criticizing Apple for a win of "just 3 points out of 60" shows just how ridiculously pitiful your arguments have become.

In any case, I'm still waiting for you to provide proof of your own opinions. I won't be holding my breath. I hope you understand.

I hate getting myself in the middle of these flame wars.... Though there needs o be some clarifications here!

I recently got a powerbook 12' and love it! Now i also have a desktop with win xp pro, It was built by hand for gameing so i know a lot on windows and have been working on it since my first PC that was win 95 back in oh 95 (pun :p). But macs are a diffrent realm. There not the same in any fasion, dont work the same for the user, dont even do simple things with the mouse the same (ex, no right click). They are both diffrent for the reasons people use each. For example

Windows:

• Video Editing (Final cut is great but you need a quad or a couple macs on there super computer thingy to truly enjoy it... but video editing is very personel in prefrences... I use Sony Vegas {the expensive one not the chessy cheap thing...})
  • Modeling or anything 3D INCLUDING GAMES (yes there are games for mac but they are ported and opengl just isnt as good as D3D)
  • Video Conversions
  • Customizability in HARDWARE not UI, thats a toss-up
  • BRUTE performance, not straight performance as both are about the same...
  • Just to say again screw gamming on macs, leave that for winxp and D3D and great graphic cards....

Mac:

• Good UI (subjective yes, but once your used to mac normally you just go oh i bet its this, not what the heck can it be. That type of thing...)
  • In laptops, much better in the end... (subjective)
  • Calander, E-mail, Junk Mail Filters, No Viruses (almost), and NO spyware
  • UI customizability is a lot simpiler in many ways with the apps availiable, but windows could be the same just stardock is lacking in Icons bigtime...
  • the simple things, i know that sounds funny but the simple things are easyer....
  • Expose/dashboard (sp?). Granted i never use dashboard almost, just to change songs... But expose is something EVERY OS needs even linuix, its the perfect solution to window management. Loses the need for a taskbar, hint the reason for a dock only...
  • Uninstall/Install apps. wow My mom figured it out when i was going nuts not finding any add remove type of thing (she said "why not just throw it away" and well she was dead on, click-drag-drop into the trash bin *done*)
  • Playing Videos, Slightly easier if you deal with lots of diffrent type of files, simply because VLC does it all, but on windows most user opt for codecs, which when done right is perfect (if not tad better), but is rarely the case
  • Microsoft Office, odd one to add, but hell SO much nicer, and CHEAPER!@#$*@$& Probably next office with that UI overhaul will get close, but macs is still so much farther ahead (hence why office was on mac first)
  • IF you have any phones, palms, PPCs, they just are a lot easier to sync with. iSync just rocks... My razr on windows required so much junk that want cheap either, on mac all i did was go to iSync...
  • IM, nicer on mac, Video chat is WAY better, regualr chat with adium rules, so much nicer than trillian and/or gaim.
  • Blogging, or whatever can be updated by client side apps so much easier, and they are a lot more robust. w.blogger is nice, just it lacks a lot. On mac use ecto and it does everything from optional flickr intergration to file attachments.
  • webdesign/graphic design *tossup* but slightly leaning on macs for the simple fact you can preview the darn fonts!
  • Safari is a nice browser, better than Bundeled IE, now if you use firefox (on mac its odd to use it personally...) disregard this...
  • Stability, hands down better on mac. If one app does hang, you can ALWAYS get out of it, yet to not be able to. Windows your screwed if you cant ctrl-alt-del or alt-f4 or win key...
  • Auto Updates, this is slightly personal but i like mac as most updates DONT require restarts, and dosent pester you constantly or in windows case ocasionally kicking you from a game...

Now i didnt list stuff off for a point thing, as i know i did more for mac. Now you also have to rember the "majority" of the users on windows that go to forums are more "power Users" not some random person the clerk sold a PC to. Mac users however are more social users and do more stuff on the internet. Though this is a demographic thing, but should also be considered. Now mac vs PC, all depends on what you need to do, and what you want. In my case i need a laptop that is ALWAYS there for me, not indisposed, or ocasionaly dead waiting for a reformat, or short battery (price vs. total battery time, typically mac wins hands down {mine gets 4.5-5 hours}). Now i dont play games on it (even though i have americas army on it, i just wanted to see what it looke like lol), i dont do video editing (Like i said i like so sony vegas is what i like... It just seems snapier, lol.), not trying to find a medical breakthrough on it. All i do is e-mail, browse, IM (its great for when im playing a game to IM on it), graphic/web Design, watch anime, read manga (The viewer on mac for manga RULES, can open compressed archives, no need to unzip, can have it rotated, or set for american double page, or japanese double page, single page, custom keyboard commands, shows page numbers in dock, fullscreen overlay when needed, etc...), use ecto with my blog, and iTunes (even though i have rhapsody on desktop for my rio {do the unlimited subscription}).

So it depends on what you need to do, hopefully this will answear some people Efficency/productivity questions. As basicly depends on what you need. Espically applemoto, i hate how everyone is flamming both sides, maybe this will help decide! For a 14 yr old games are probably a lot funner than the whole of macs offerings so go ahead and sell the quad and get a nice desktop witha 7800gtx and you can kick some MEC or Nazi arse with the rest of us gamers ^_^

-Philz

P.S.

Sorry have no time to spell/grammar check, got to go see munich in theaters! WinMacLin you said it JUST right! You summed it all up in one sentance LOL.

EDIT: How is this my first post 0_0 i've been comming here for years.... wow... Maybe i had a diffrent acount in past....

Edited by philzhub

These threads are crazy haha You guy's don't have to justify your software or "alliance" just be content with knowing your happy with what you have.

Be careful. He'll probably flame you for thinking that rather than agreeing with him :laugh:

I personally would never even consider switching back to Windows...servicing those windows machines for other is enough for me as it is :s

Man! No doubt!! Exactly the reason I switched to Linux at least.

Be careful. He'll probably flame you for thinking that rather than agreeing with him :laugh:

i guess all those days of disagreeing and having a fun discussion and a fun argument are over simple by saying "well it all depends on your preference" i mean althought that is the point of the thread whats wrong with arguing and having a nice discussion. The name calling, of course is not tolerated but it's ok once you get really into the convo. But then again, it might just be me who thinks like that...

i guess all those days of disagreeing and having a fun discussion and a fun argument are over simple by saying "well it all depends on your preference" i mean althought that is the point of the thread whats wrong with arguing and having a nice discussion. The name calling, of course is not tolerated but it's ok once you get really into the convo. But then again, it might just be me who thinks like that...

I don't mind having a serious discussion, but when someone stoops to name calling and simply refuting the facts when they are handed to him, there is no point in continuing that conversation. If you want to act like a little kid, you'll get treated like one, and from what I've seen of d4t4b0mb, that's what he wants.

From the bolded part: So I'm allowed to call you an ###### just because I disagree with you about something? Doesn't work that way, sorry.

Laptop: Mac

Server: Linux

Personal Computer: Windows

thats in my opinion, macs are awesome, but lacking in games as always, but i would never game on a laptop so yeah.. :p

Oh man... reading all this stuff about Mac computers is making me want to get one. That's it, my next computer purchase will be a Mac one. The dual G5s look nice!

Oh man... reading all this stuff about Mac computers is making me want to get one. That's it, my next computer purchase will be a Mac one. The dual G5s look nice!

<sarcasm>Yeah, you can get a Quad G5 - then 2 weeks later go back to Windows because you can't play games and you miss scanning for viruses and spyware every week</sarcasm>.

:whistle:

Talking about wasting time.... don't you people have better things to do then fight about stupid OSes?

Use what you like. Some like Windows some like something else..... deal with it.

Not everybody thinks Apple is the key to all our problems. Some people actually like Windows.

MAC really is made for graphics design, and the digital media world.

i run NIS2006 on my windows machine, and that sits there "learning" my applications. my firewall doesnt groan and moan about this that and the other, i have a hardware firewall on my router, i dont see where the niggles come into it.

as to the desktop thing, anyone could make a .Net app that does all the desktop widget stuff that OSX has.

OSX has some advantages, and if i ever got a laptop it wud be OSX cos XP sucks majorly with any sort of laptop watsoever.

my rig is awesome in XP, and the only reason i wud never switch to OSX is the fact that all my games are useless.

when i can dual boot OSX and windows XP on my PC thats when ill have OSX.