Macworld 2006 Discussion

Matt T

I know the iMac G5 was a 64-bit computer, but are the new iMac's 64-bit?

Kayle12

Really? The new chips not 64-Bit huh? I wonder why they would go from 32 to 64 and back to 32.

So I currently have an iMac G5 20" about 1 month old, and I was thinking about selling it on Ebay, and getting an Intel Version, so is it worth it? Should I? I guess noone has got to use these, but what do you think I should do?

Thanks

docvenom04

Really? The new chips not 64-Bit huh? I wonder why they would go from 32 to 64 and back to 32.

So I currently have an iMac G5 20" about 1 month old, and I was thinking about selling it on Ebay, and getting an Intel Version, so is it worth it? Should I? I guess noone has got to use these, but what do you think I should do?

Thanks

Keep it and wait for rev 2. I'm at a similar dilemma right now myself.

Rudy

Keep it and wait for rev 2. I'm at a similar dilemma right now myself.

rev2 still wont be 64bit

Matt T

Call me stupid but I just want to get something straight - are the new Intel iMac's 64-bit like the G5 models or not?

hurricane

you call that cheap??...

yeah i do, its 100 pound off the price!

Detroit

lol, read people, it is not 64bit, it is 32!

Miran

OS X isn't 64-bit though, correct? I remember hearing that parts of it were, but that the core aspects were not. I imagine that 10.5 will be fully 64-bit.

thenaes

The 17" iMac is tempting me... only 1199 with educational discount.

Syphonic

The 17" iMac is tempting me... only 1199 with educational discount.

Go to the ADC store, it'll be even cheaper :p

Wolvereen

I know this is only theoretical, but on paper, how will PC games through Windows run on a MacBook Pro? Good Vid card?

Also, re: the ADC store, you can only get that if you are a software or hardware manufacturer (or if you pay for it) right?

How big is the discount? The cheapest ADC account is like $500, so is it worth it?

sickmachine

I don't know...3 hours of battery life from the MacBook Pro? That right there would want me to hold on to my powerbook till further investigation..

i hear a lot of people on neowin throwing around this statistic. where did it come from?

i really dont think apple would ever "downgrade" a successor- the 15 inch g4 has 5.5 hours of battery life & a dual layered dvd burner... im hoping these are just miscommunications/mistakes on someones part.

either way,im probably getting one of these babys... maybe 3 hours with the monitor's brightness all the way up,but that **** is pretty damn bright im guessing :)

NeoXY

i hear a lot of people on neowin throwing around this statistic. where did it come from?

i really dont think apple would ever "downgrade" a successor- the 15 inch g4 has 5.5 hours of battery life & a dual layered dvd burner... im hoping these are just miscommunications/mistakes on someones part.

either way,im probably getting one of these babys... maybe 3 hours with the monitor's brightness all the way up,but that **** is pretty damn bright im guessing :)

err, I believe it was from a unofficial test that was done by ArsTechnica...

Well, the MBP isn't exactly "downgraded". It is 4 times faster than the PB :p and have everything else the PB already have. But its just this battery life is really bugging me:/ Because I get around 5 hours of battery life out of my 15 inch PB, so 3.5 seem a bit too little for me. I hope someone clear this up soon because I'm seriously considering selling off my PB. But considering the MPB have a dual core intel chip and a X1600...I wouldn't really be suprised at the battery life being no longer than 4 :/

DeleteMePlease

im bit dissapointed the ibooks where not updated this i would of bought that instead of the macbook pro

Cyrana

OS X isn't 64-bit though, correct? I remember hearing that parts of it were, but that the core aspects were not. I imagine that 10.5 will be fully 64-bit.

Only parts are, and the GUI is not. Mathematica, for example, spawns some background child-process that does the 64bit portions. I forget the limitations on what can be 64bit, but not much is.

• 2 weeks later...
thermal+paste

I liked this picture :cool: :yes: :woot:

post-150878-1137900135_thumb.jpg

Windam

Is Steve Jobs a crook?

(this may be a dumb question but my Dad thinks he is a crooked salesman)

thermal+paste

this is the best computer ever forever always until the next computer I announce will be the best ever never foralwaysever

the evn show

I forget the limitations on what can be 64bit, but not much is.

Cocoa and Carbon are not 64-bit safe save for Accelerate.framework and CoreImage.framework (possibly VImage too but that runs on the vector unit anyway). All of the POSIX components are 64-bit ready.

Is Steve Jobs a crook?

(this may be a dumb question but my Dad thinks he is a crooked salesman)

WTF? Seriously.

Windam

I should of known...

pardon my ignorance

sickmachine

steve jobs is like the father i never had