• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Macworld 2006 Discussion

Matt T    0

I know the iMac G5 was a 64-bit computer, but are the new iMac's 64-bit?

Kayle12    0

Really? The new chips not 64-Bit huh? I wonder why they would go from 32 to 64 and back to 32.

So I currently have an iMac G5 20" about 1 month old, and I was thinking about selling it on Ebay, and getting an Intel Version, so is it worth it? Should I? I guess noone has got to use these, but what do you think I should do?

Thanks

docvenom04    0

Really? The new chips not 64-Bit huh? I wonder why they would go from 32 to 64 and back to 32.

So I currently have an iMac G5 20" about 1 month old, and I was thinking about selling it on Ebay, and getting an Intel Version, so is it worth it? Should I? I guess noone has got to use these, but what do you think I should do?

Thanks

Keep it and wait for rev 2. I'm at a similar dilemma right now myself.

Rudy    457

Keep it and wait for rev 2. I'm at a similar dilemma right now myself.

rev2 still wont be 64bit

Matt T    0

Call me stupid but I just want to get something straight - are the new Intel iMac's 64-bit like the G5 models or not?

hurricane    0

you call that cheap??...

yeah i do, its 100 pound off the price!

Detroit    0

lol, read people, it is not 64bit, it is 32!

Miran    0

OS X isn't 64-bit though, correct? I remember hearing that parts of it were, but that the core aspects were not. I imagine that 10.5 will be fully 64-bit.

thenaes    0

The 17" iMac is tempting me... only 1199 with educational discount.

Syphonic    0

The 17" iMac is tempting me... only 1199 with educational discount.

Go to the ADC store, it'll be even cheaper :p

Wolvereen    0

I know this is only theoretical, but on paper, how will PC games through Windows run on a MacBook Pro? Good Vid card?

Also, re: the ADC store, you can only get that if you are a software or hardware manufacturer (or if you pay for it) right?

How big is the discount? The cheapest ADC account is like $500, so is it worth it?

sickmachine    0

I don't know...3 hours of battery life from the MacBook Pro? That right there would want me to hold on to my powerbook till further investigation..

i hear a lot of people on neowin throwing around this statistic. where did it come from?

i really dont think apple would ever "downgrade" a successor- the 15 inch g4 has 5.5 hours of battery life & a dual layered dvd burner... im hoping these are just miscommunications/mistakes on someones part.

either way,im probably getting one of these babys... maybe 3 hours with the monitor's brightness all the way up,but that **** is pretty damn bright im guessing :)

NeoXY    7

i hear a lot of people on neowin throwing around this statistic. where did it come from?

i really dont think apple would ever "downgrade" a successor- the 15 inch g4 has 5.5 hours of battery life & a dual layered dvd burner... im hoping these are just miscommunications/mistakes on someones part.

either way,im probably getting one of these babys... maybe 3 hours with the monitor's brightness all the way up,but that **** is pretty damn bright im guessing :)

err, I believe it was from a unofficial test that was done by ArsTechnica...

Well, the MBP isn't exactly "downgraded". It is 4 times faster than the PB :p and have everything else the PB already have. But its just this battery life is really bugging me:/ Because I get around 5 hours of battery life out of my 15 inch PB, so 3.5 seem a bit too little for me. I hope someone clear this up soon because I'm seriously considering selling off my PB. But considering the MPB have a dual core intel chip and a X1600...I wouldn't really be suprised at the battery life being no longer than 4 :/

DeleteMePlease    0

im bit dissapointed the ibooks where not updated this i would of bought that instead of the macbook pro

Cyrana    0

OS X isn't 64-bit though, correct? I remember hearing that parts of it were, but that the core aspects were not. I imagine that 10.5 will be fully 64-bit.

Only parts are, and the GUI is not. Mathematica, for example, spawns some background child-process that does the 64bit portions. I forget the limitations on what can be 64bit, but not much is.

thermal+paste    0

I liked this picture :cool: :yes: :woot:

post-150878-1137900135_thumb.jpg

Windam    0

Is Steve Jobs a crook?

(this may be a dumb question but my Dad thinks he is a crooked salesman)

thermal+paste    0

this is the best computer ever forever always until the next computer I announce will be the best ever never foralwaysever

the evn show    138

I forget the limitations on what can be 64bit, but not much is.

Cocoa and Carbon are not 64-bit safe save for Accelerate.framework and CoreImage.framework (possibly VImage too but that runs on the vector unit anyway). All of the POSIX components are 64-bit ready.

Is Steve Jobs a crook?

(this may be a dumb question but my Dad thinks he is a crooked salesman)

WTF? Seriously.

Windam    0

I should of known...

pardon my ignorance

sickmachine    0

steve jobs is like the father i never had