DEFINITIVE: Which Linux Distro? (poll for 2006)

869 members have voted

1. 1. Which distro do you use or recommend?

• Ubuntu/Kubuntu
    • Fedora Core (or Redhat, or RHEL)
    • Novell/SUSE Linux
    • Gentoo (or derivatives)
    • Debian
    • Other Debian Derivative (Mepis, Kanotix, etc)
    • Mandriva
    • Slackware (or derivatives)
    • Linspire
    • Arch
  2. 2. Which desktop environment / window manager?

• GNOME
    • KDE
    • Xfce
    • fluxbox/openbox/blackbox
    • Enlightenment
    • IceVM
    • TWM or something equally basic
    • GUI? pft. CLI or die!
    • other
    • whatever my distro came with. Is there a choice?

Well, I just copied 2005's choices for a 2006 poll.

This is the place to post your feelings and opinions on which distro you use, or you would recommend to others. If you have a reason for your choice, please state so. Others can use your reasons to see if a distro may be appropriate for them to try.

I guess it is up to a mod to pin this thread, to replace the old 2005 thread that was previously pinned. Too bad I left the staff before New Years! :p

Looking under my avatar, you can see that I picked Fedora since I am just used to the Red Hat way. ;)

Edited by fred666

I'd personally have to choose Ubuntu just because it's so easy to use. Installing apps is pretty simple once you know the commands, everything is easily accessed and the GUI is pretty good too, with a little 'tuning' so to say ;) . I have only used two linux distros, Ubuntu and Suse, both of which I found to be pretty easy to use, but my final decision is that Ubuntu is the best! But hey, I haven't been using linux for that long, but that's what I think personally! :)

I love my Gentoo, that's why I voted gentoo.

However, I will be replacing my Gentoo with a Suse linux.

Want to try that one again, see what changed etc.

(+ I won't have to compile/configure everything manually :p)

Gentoo = currently prefered distro

Suse = distro I'd recommend to newbies and lazy people

:)

Woo! First to vote for Arch Linux! (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y)

I love this distro, like Gentoo if you want it to be (through the use of ABS tree), or grab precompiled binaries through the repos. The Arch community is also very helpful. Couldnt recommend this distro more to people who are comfortable with the command line and want to learn a bit (well a lot actually)!

I love my Gentoo, that's why I voted gentoo.

However, I will be replacing my Gentoo with a Suse linux.

Want to try that one again, see what changed etc.

(+ I won't have to compile/configure everything manually :p)

Gentoo = currently prefered distro

Suse = distro I'd recommend to newbies and lazy people

:)

Try Arch Linux it might be more up your alley.

Woo! First to vote for Arch Linux! (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y)

I love this distro, like Gentoo if you want it to be (through the use of ABS tree), or grab precompiled binaries through the repos. The Arch community is also very helpful. Couldnt recommend this distro more to people who are comfortable with the command line and want to learn a bit (well a lot actually)!

Second!

I personally am using gentoo the main reason for this is because gentoo has great 64bit support! There is an archlinux64 but I do not think it is very well maintaned at the moment. I beliver there are very few developers. So gentoo is the nicest thing I could find next to arch.

Gentoo Linux

After 3 or 4 times doing a base install , it only takes a couple hours..

KDE doesn't take that long either, after downloading it :p

Setup is a pain a bit , but after that, portage just rocks

I find gentoos been the absolute stablest while still being up to date. The reason i love gentoo is the hardware support (or rather, lack of an attempt at autodetection). I know what hardware i have, and how to configure it. I tried to run kubuntu but i broke it within a couple minutes -- seriously i had toasted the install within a half hour of fiddling to get stuff the way i like it, so it was right back to gentoo for me.

Next on my project list is an attempt at cross-compiling an install for my laptop which really doesn't have the needed processing power.

Using IPB 2.1.x wizardry, this topic is now pinned in both the "to *nix" switchers area and the "Linux/BSD/Unix Client" area.

If you click the pinned topic in "to *nix", however, you will be instantly transported here.

Cool, eh?

[Poll Question Added]

I added the question about the desktop environment / window manager. Some of the people who already voted may miss out on the second question though.

Edited by fred666

I chose Gentoo due to the power and customization options. Although Ubuntu is great for quick, fast, simple, full featured installs under time constraints.

Using IPB 2.1.x wizardry, this topic is now pinned in both the "to *nix" switchers area and the "Linux/BSD/Unix Client" area.

If you click the pinned topic in "to *nix", however, you will be instantly transported here.

Cool, eh?

[Poll Question Added]

I added the question about the desktop environment / window manager. Some of the people who already voted may miss out on the second question though.

Fred, you da man! notworthy.gif

Now, if only I could vote for flux... :cry:

Fred, you da man! notworthy.gif

Now, if only I could vote for flux... :cry:

I flux vote artificially added. I hope you realize that the scientific integrity of this poll has now been compromised.

What we do for some members... sheesh.

I personally like Mandriva and SuSE.... although I hold Fedora in high regard also. SuSE was a bit slow in the past, but Mandriva and URPMI really rocks!

Gnome is the only way to go for me. Simple, elegant and has it all (for me). No "over the top" eye candy for me! :o

Barney

woo for fred666 adding my vote :)

I like xfce because its still light but very nice to use as well.

I like fluxbox too, i run it on older computers.

I installed Knoppix some time ago and I have yet to find a reason to reinstall anything else. It is closer to the "real" Debian than Ubuntu.

I have, however, replaced KDE with GNOME and I play with fluxbox every once in a while.

I prefer Ubuntu as distro, it really severs me well.

That sounds painful. I'd say try another distro but I don't want to distro troll... :p

:sleep:

Do we REALLY need a poll every year about which linux distro/what car/what os/what blahblah

Its like opinions are going to actually change :p

Just reuse the old polls and get a mod to reset them!

>sigh< :no: :angry: