DEFINITIVE: Which Linux Distro? (poll for 2006)

869 members have voted

1. 1. Which distro do you use or recommend?

• Ubuntu/Kubuntu
    • Fedora Core (or Redhat, or RHEL)
    • Novell/SUSE Linux
    • Gentoo (or derivatives)
    • Debian
    • Other Debian Derivative (Mepis, Kanotix, etc)
    • Mandriva
    • Slackware (or derivatives)
    • Linspire
    • Arch
  2. 2. Which desktop environment / window manager?

• GNOME
    • KDE
    • Xfce
    • fluxbox/openbox/blackbox
    • Enlightenment
    • IceVM
    • TWM or something equally basic
    • GUI? pft. CLI or die!
    • other
    • whatever my distro came with. Is there a choice?

Yes, things change. Ubuntu wasn't around two years ago, and last year, it really took off in Linux popularity.

Reusing the old poll would require changing names (and people want to add things like BSD every now and then).

Since you would end up changing names around, adding and removing, might as well cleanly close the old and start a fresh new one.

That sounds painful. I'd say try another distro but I don't want to distro troll... :p

:| I'm broken.

Do you mind share your exprerience?

I think we have different hardwares and purpose for those distros, so it's safe to say that I should try all of them then decide which one is the best. :pinch: Well, if those factors change in the future I might as well switch to another choice. NO! :cry: I'm hunger for a Mac.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, i suppose i *just* noticed this poll...

I voted SUSE. it was the first one i used and it was pretty good ;)

ubuntu's great too, i see that it's by far the first choice according to the poll results.

I used to have Mandrake 7 but neaver installed it on my new computer. Now Installed Suse, I must say the 3D graphics don't work as well as windows.

Have allways used Gnome it looks the best by far, however I install both the Gnome and KDE paccages.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for Arch because i like the idea of having a OS built the way you want it starting from the ground up and because i just can't stand it waiting for packages to compile when i am in a hurry to use a app. Although i frequently switch from e17 to flux i voted for CLI because these days i find myself killing X more and more often to get some work done. Typically i use my wm for surfing, oo writer and emails and even then i always keep a terminal open jsut in case. I tink i need to get out more :p

Tuff to decide between some really good distros.

The one that gets most of my attention is Linspire. It just works (EVERYTHING!). Downside it's not free ($$) but IMHO worth it!!

I think my favorite distro is Ubuntu (Gnome), but SUSE has a good second place :)

But even thou I would chose Ubuntu, with Gnome, as my favourite distro, I actually like KDE better than Gnome as a Desktop Environment...

So my vote goes to Ubuntu/KDE

I use Linspire. I am new to Linux and really like how it installs in under 10 minutes, has great hardware support (laptops too), is very polished and easy to use, supports all the filetypes (mp3, flash, java, real, windows media, quicktime, etc.) right out of the box, and of course, I love click n run (CNR). The typical Linspire user, however, is someone non-technical and wouldn't be the sort to probably be reading sites like Neowin.net. There are a lot of us (we have one of the most active forums anywhere), but yes, we're a less technical crowd because Linspire attracts newbies to Linux.

I use Linspire. It's certainly the easiest and most productive for new users like me.:) I tried Mandriva. But I just can't waste time with distros that demand you learn and know Konsole commands to get things fully installed. With Linspire, I just click and run. Done. Plus, Ii have the secure knowledge of knowing apps have been double-checked for compatibility with Linspire.

Linspire is awesome! I encourage all new Linux users to give it a try. You will not be disappointed.:)

I voted for Arch Linux. The only other two distros I have used are Fedora Core 2 and Ubuntu, both of which are very slow compared to Arch. Plus with Arch you get the added satisfaction that you did a lot of it yourself rather than just leaving it to the installer.

For desktop environment I went for Gnome. I haven't tried KDE for a while but going by the newest screenshots it looks like it's come a long way in terms of appearance since I used it.

Well, I just copied 2005's choices for a 2006 poll.

This is the place to post your feelings and opinions on which distro you use, or you would recommend to others. If you have a reason for your choice, please state so. Others can use your reasons to see if a distro may be appropriate for them to try.

I guess it is up to a mod to pin this thread, to replace the old 2005 thread that was previously pinned. Too bad I left the staff before New Years! :p

Looking under my avatar, you can see that I picked Fedora since I am just used to the Red Hat way. ;)

I don't want to bother with any tuning. That's why I use Linspire. For ME it works out fo the box.

My, look at the sudden influx of people registering to Neowin, just so that they can recommend Linspire. :rolleyes:

Seems like something similar to this Neowin news post.

Ha! :rofl: :laugh: :o :no: :crazy: :pinch:

I vote for Linspire too..... not!

Barney

Slackware here - the way Linux was meant to be :laugh: .

In truth though, I have to use Fedora a lot these days and it's a pretty good distro. I'm still a Slacker at heart though.

As for the window manager, I generally use GNOME (Dropline GNOME under Slack) but have started playing around with Xfce a lot recently and once version 4.4 appears I might be tempted to switch :) .

divinesw2fh.gif