DEFINITIVE: Which Linux Distro? (poll for 2006)

869 members have voted

1. 1. Which distro do you use or recommend?

• Ubuntu/Kubuntu
    • Fedora Core (or Redhat, or RHEL)
    • Novell/SUSE Linux
    • Gentoo (or derivatives)
    • Debian
    • Other Debian Derivative (Mepis, Kanotix, etc)
    • Mandriva
    • Slackware (or derivatives)
    • Linspire
    • Arch
  2. 2. Which desktop environment / window manager?

• GNOME
    • KDE
    • Xfce
    • fluxbox/openbox/blackbox
    • Enlightenment
    • IceVM
    • TWM or something equally basic
    • GUI? pft. CLI or die!
    • other
    • whatever my distro came with. Is there a choice?

... the results of a poll that was trying to see what Neowin Members thought is the "Best Linux Distro". If you would sincerely like to join the Neowin community, Welcome! But otherwise we don't need spammers advertising what their favorite distribution is. Make your own poll on the Linspire website if that's something you'd think your users would enjoy. Anyways, welcome to Neowin!

coolbeans,

I don't think any forum needs spammers. I think there may have been a misinterpretation on intent. The way I took the posting from popoff and Linspire's CEO was, "hey come check out this forum". I can see and understand the frustration that is created by a group of people joining a forum for the sole purpose of just voting in one poll. That is an abuse of the resources provided by those that run the neowin forums, and a waste of time.

Sure, some have signed up just to vote and leave. Some to vote, make a post and leave. Some may stay and participate in further discussion.

I mentioned the odd and sudden influx of pro-Linspire users, and thought there must be a reason. There was. If they come here to do it, then they come here to do it. Not much that can be done about it. Flaming people or their distro choices is not allowed here, so just let it drop. Any one-hitters will be gone as soon as they post, just as long as that thread over there doesn't keep inspiring more and more.

Regardless, the one-hitters will likely not even log back in to discuss or read replies. Anyone who does discuss their posts is obviously a returning member now (even if only for a while) and deserves a bit more respect as an individual - even if you don't like the sudden influx from one particular site.

well said.

Discussions on the best Linux Distro's is right up there with Politics and Religion.

Not a major linux user myself. But I have always been a Mandriva user whenever I have used it (usually for a few months until a problem I cannot be bothered to fix) because its so simple, In the past I have also tried Ubuntu which I found very well made and Kubuntu which I found even better as KDE is my preffered desktop environment.

Since this is the 'swticher' section, I'd recomend Ubuntu/Kbuntu just becuase they are really easy to use, and they come with everything you need.

The application manager makes life as a n00b really easy.

Good choice for a desktop/client computer

But my personal choice... is Debian/GNU. Why? no specific reason. Mainly 'cause when you install it's very bare bone, and you install just what you want/need. Since it's o my server, I have no need to a GUI (CLI for life!), and becuase it does not come with everything... it has really forced me to learn more about how linux works.

well, that's my $0.05

The most easy-to-use distribution is Ubuntu Linux.

And GNOME is recommaned.

I don't use KDE as installing it will also install many many programs bundled, including unwanted/ not-going-to-be-used/ never-to-be-used programs.

The most easy-to-use distribution is Ubuntu Linux.

And GNOME is recommaned.

I don't use KDE as installing it will also install many many programs bundled, including unwanted/ not-going-to-be-used/ never-to-be-used programs.

There are those of us who consider the array of Gnome apps to be unwanted and excessive. ;)

It's all a matter of personal preference.

I've run Slackware for 3 years now and I still think it's the best Linux distro out there.

Once you go Slack, you never go back.

KDE for me. I hate GNOME.

*coming from a Gentoo user*

I recently tried Fedora Core 4...at the time I was presented with it.. I thought I'd give a shot. I was kinda impressed with Yum.. sorta.. and kinda impressed with Gnome , coming from KDE user..

Install went ok.. I must admit the one clear advantage most other distro's have over gentoo is a graphical install.. Grub , boot sequence, and login good looking, but I' wasn't really concerned on looks at bootup..

as far as Yum is concerned, its library isn't as extensive , I don't think as gentoo.. some things in FD4 was already configured and at this point its more trouble now trying to find the config file of some services and going through when in gentoo work from scratch and know exactly what I configured..

I'm going to try Ubuntu next and see how that compares..

well just giving my random thoughts

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using FC4 ever since it was released and I've like it a lot. The only thing I can complain about is that my sound doesn't work anymore. I updated my kernel and then it hasn't worked since. I just downloaded Kubuntu and will give that one a try. So far, all I've been hearing is good things about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Fedora, I am new to the whole linux thing though, it is working great for me now, but Im thinking of trying ubuntu just to see what it's like.

• 2 weeks later...

Ubuntu was the first Linux distro I got working, since it was the only one that recognised my wireless card out of the box (this was may be over a year or more ago). Never had major problems with it, so stuck with it.

I recently tried to do a fresh install of the latest ubunto.. didn't work.. i got a screen after install as if my video card died, billions of color's.... weird... something go wrong? I have Asus A8N-SLi Premium, etc. video card is a GeForce 6800GS......Any ideas?? I'm gonna try again tonight on a partition... see if that helps....

ubuntu is the best destro so far. for fedora, the default x boot screen just can't troubleshoot my radeon 9600 pro. so i guess ubuntu is on the roll. hope it will keep up the good work