Macbook pros - mactels, some impressons / comment

i think the largest injustice is..

that the nice shiny dual core cpu..

IS ONLY 32BIT!

wtf?

a 32bit dual core !=/> a dual core 64bit cpu, or even a single core 64bit cpu.

and this isnt essentially apple's fault. (it is but it isnt, they wanted to rush this to market, to bump stock, among other things)

so yeah.

im waiting til intel's next mobile cpu that comes out, is dual core, 64bit.

so yeah.

I can assure you that my Rev.D Powerbook has both optical inputs, outputs and a dual-link DVI port, as I have used all three.

Your right, I never realized, the only powerbook I ever considered was a 12 incher, which doesn't sport these features. Although, at the same time, dual link dvi without a good vid card like these new rigs is useless.

And still, including a mouse and keyboard on the Imac (don't think the old ones did), is still a nice gesture. I'm sure you could sell the mighty mouse unopened or whatever for 10-20 bucks less then MSRP on ebay.

Yeah can we get any confirmation that the MacBook Pro's have only 3 hours of battery life.

I have heard that it was 3 hours on Mac Performance, Full brightness. I heard it said 6 hours on better energy savings with a dimmed display. I, too, am waiting confirmation.

i dont know why people are complaining about 64bit, its been out for a really long time and i wanted one for a while and when i got it ....i installed Win64 for a week and the coolness factor wore off and i realised i wont be using more than 4 gb of ram for a really long time......and the performance gain from 64bit is impossible to notice on everyday tasks

i dont know why people are complaining about 64bit

x64 chips offer a number of improvements of the standard x86 architecture, the most common example is twice as many programmer accessible registers (still much less than the number on a G4 or G5, but a significant step forward all the same).

i dont know why people are complaining about 64bit, its been out for a really long time and i wanted one for a while and when i got it ....i installed Win64 for a week and the coolness factor wore off and i realised i wont be using more than 4 gb of ram for a really long time......and the performance gain from 64bit is impossible to notice on everyday tasks

1. your first problem was, installing windows 64bit.

2. its entirely noticable to a power user, or severe gamer.

3. i run open source software. all of which i build from source usually.. most of the time, custom stuff anyways. how is 64bit useless? if its THAT useless than dual core is equally as useless, because if one core does it just fine, why do you need TWO?! .. your justification totally has gone out the window.

there is no coolness factor when you atucally have a use for 64bit stuff. espically considering it isnt just more than 4gb of ram (which by the way, xp pro, can address up to 16gb anyways, on 32bit). so yeah.

1. your first problem was, installing windows 64bit.

2. its entirely noticable to a power user, or severe gamer.

3. i run open source software. all of which i build from source usually.. most of the time, custom stuff anyways. how is 64bit useless? if its THAT useless than dual core is equally as useless, because if one core does it just fine, why do you need TWO?! .. your justification totally has gone out the window.

there is no coolness factor when you atucally have a use for 64bit stuff. espically considering it isnt just more than 4gb of ram (which by the way, xp pro, can address up to 16gb anyways, on 32bit). so yeah.

Good points. Many people are mistaken, 64 bit isn't just about adressing more memory. I don't want to go off topic, but wikipedia and google offers a variety of results on 64 bit, and many of them explain it in depth.

Open source linux distrobutions such as gentoo really put building from source and 64 bit into perspective. Anyway, I think most users in the Windows world would see much more improvement with dual core vs 64 bit, but in the Mac world this may be very different. At 5.6 pounds, this is pretty cool though, and the Imac awesomes some good features for it's pricetag.

the biggest turn off with 64bit is the lack of a flash player :pinch:

I hate the fact that it is so damned expensive. I don't care, an intel chip SHOULD NOT be as expensive as a PPC chip.

have a look at other intel duo laptops (non apple ones) and they're around the same price, minus the nice case, isight, most of them have an x1500 instead of the x1600, lower quality display etc etc

very true rudy...

yea well at first i had a hard time to believe it because it is true that apple stuff is usually expensive but i was surprised that this one isnt really. When i first saw the price of the macbook i thought it was expensive but after looking at other duo notebooks from different companies, they're selling for around the same price

yea well at first i had a hard time to believe it because it is true that apple stuff is usually expensive but i was surprised that this one isnt really. When i first saw the price of the macbook i thought it was expensive but after looking at other duo notebooks from different companies, they're selling for around the same price

This is also the Pro notebook we are looking at here...

This is also the Pro notebook we are looking at here...

Hehe, I just really it has an isight built in. This could be useful for video conferences and things of that sort.

Hehe, I just really it has an isight built in. This could be useful for video conferences and things of that sort.

Anybody know what the qualities like on these sort of things? Most webcams totally suck, (cheat ones atleast.)

Anybody know what the qualities like on these sort of things? Most webcams totally suck, (cheat ones atleast.)

the quality of the isight is AWESOME, my mom has one and you can have to fullscreen and still looks great

As for the MacBook Pro not having a 56K modem anymore...who would even use it?

This might even be a poll-worthy question. When's the last time you used a dial-up modem? I'd be willing to make a wager that 95% or more of Neowin users are on broadband, and therefore have no use whatsoever for a 56K modem, even while on the move (especially now with the abundance of wireless hotspots). The other 5% can purchase a USB 56K modem for fairly cheap.

I admire Apple's forward thinking. They must realize that if they keep one foot in the past all the time, they'll never get anywhere. This is something Microsoft needs to realize with respect to all the legacy code still embedded into Windows.

the quality of the isight is AWESOME, my mom has one and you can have to fullscreen and still looks great

The standalone has a CCD sensor and auto-focus, whereas the iSight built into the MacBook Pro is CMOS and has fixed focus. Not a HUGE difference, but you'll probably be able to notice a slight degradation in quality if you're switching from a standalone iSight to the one built-in to the MacBook Pro.

As for the MacBook Pro not having a 56K modem anymore...who would even use it?

This might even be a poll-worthy question. When's the last time you used a dial-up modem? I'd be willing to make a wager that 95% or more of Neowin users are on broadband, and therefore have no use whatsoever for a 56K modem, even while on the move (especially now with the abundance of wireless hotspots). The other 5% can purchase a USB 56K modem for fairly cheap.

I admire Apple's forward thinking. They must realize that if they keep one foot in the past all the time, they'll never get anywhere. This is something Microsoft needs to realize with respect to all the legacy code still embedded into Windows.

The standalone has a CCD sensor and auto-focus, whereas the iSight built into the MacBook Pro is CMOS and has fixed focus. Not a HUGE difference, but you'll probably be able to notice a slight degradation in quality if you're switching from a standalone iSight to the one built-in to the MacBook Pro.

So, what was the res of the original isight?

I think its 640x480 but I'm not completely sure on that. But yea, the quality is supreme on the iSight. I mess with them all the time at the local Apple Store, lol.

I think its 640x480 but I'm not completely sure on that. But yea, the quality is supreme on the iSight. I mess with them all the time at the local Apple Store, lol.

Ah, so were talking a smooth 640x480, not a grainey picture?

x64 chips offer a number of improvements of the standard x86 architecture, the most common example is twice as many programmer accessible registers (still much less than the number on a G4 or G5, but a significant step forward all the same).

:omg: your back?

right, very smooth or well it always is at the apple store, lol.

Cool, do they run them in the apple store in a window/box, or full screen? Window really would only make sense.