What's so great about Mozilla?

Originally posted by Septimus

Mozilla takes only 3 secs to load even without being loaded at bootup.

Got to disagree on the mail client though, had huge problems with it when using multiple servers on IMAP and POP, just slows to a crawl. Then again, I haven't found a mail program that suits all my needs full stop. Any ideas?

Outlook sucks due to its virus potential, but it has its uses if you work in a team.

Sadly, I agree. The mail client is "lacking" still. Needs much polish.

ok ive had enough.

its too bad there are so many microsoft haters out there that refuse to use a better product because it has a microsoft brand on it.

agentsmith, i dont kow what to tell you. of course im not going to load mozilla on startup, why would i? im not loading ie on startup. (and NO, explorer is not internet explorer. close down explorer.exe, open up internet explorer from the task manager - notice it still loads up in less than a second).

http://members.shaw.ca/d2store/moz1.JPG

http://members.shaw.ca/d2store/moz2.JPG

theres my proof. 3 windows, all maximized. first screen is when download.com has focus in mozilla, other is when ie has focus.

here are 2 other tests i did using visual basic 6:

Put both programs in visual basic to test (of course, gecko crashed the second i drew it on my form)

time to load download.com (deleted cache for both browsers for each trial)

Did 10 tests.

Mozilla: 4.206 seconds

IE: 3.671 seconds

once again this is without cache, so the lookup, download of images, and everything is started from scratch

Mozilla takes 11.2 seconds to start, internet explorer 0.6. Dont tell me explorer is linked to internet explorer cause thats BS. again, close explorer.exe, and launch ie - itll lload in the same amount of time.

Im done here i have to go to work. dont have time to argue with all the ignorant microsoft haters. proof is there, live with it

btw, agent, the screen you sent me shows explorer.exe using 29 mb of ram. explorer is not iexplore.exe. send me a screen of that please. your "proof" is not there. what i do see in that screen is mozilla using 28.980mb of ram, knidly scroll down and post how much iexplore is using.

IE 28,980

Moz 28,360

don't forget that with moz you're getting twice as many features ;)

septimus: it loads blazing fast for me as well without the systray helper. and it's only getting better. i don't know where these people get 15-20 seconds. they must have slower compters, no ram, or something messed up.

Ok IE does not run on Linux, (doesnt seem like it will) :(

However, IE is the best brower on Windows. :p

Despide that MOZ does not display a few thing correctly or how the dev. wish to display its content. MOZ runs on almost all plataform and OSs.

I think the main difference is that MOZ is a web brower:china:. IE is a web application:ninja:

LOL ok Vaxop.

I for one do not hate Microsoft at all. Use XP and like it very much.

I am not blinded as you seem to be, and can see simple facts along with verifiable research to support Mozilla. That is why I use this better browser.

Originally posted by parrots

Heehee, I wish it was that simple, but to delete IE you need to delete Windows. Another reason Mozilla is better...you don't have to remove you whole OS to get rid of it. ;)

Well, it is that easy, my OS happens to be OS X :p

One simple file dumped in the trash and it's gone forever. Alas I choose to keep it for web design, the IE for Mac is actually not too bad. Supports standards better the IE for windows.

As for Mozilla, very nice, although not quite up to the aqua goodness, that's why my default browser is Chimera. Gecko rendering wrapped up in Aqua goodness, very slick:

Chimera.jpg

mmm

Originally posted by VaxoP

agreed, ms should make it more secure. but.. have u ever been hacked by a webpage?

How about some sircam with a side of Nimda with your meal sir?

The reason Virii work so well with windows is because IE, Explorer, and Outlook Express tie in so well with the operating system, infect one and you infect them all.

its too bad there are so many microsoft haters out there that refuse to use a better product because it has a microsoft brand on it.
I think just by the fact they are using Windows should speak volumes on it's own.
well, i just closed explorer.exe and i can still open up ie from the task manager..
It is literally impossible to completely close explorer.exe and still run xp

Originally posted by BroChaos

don't forget that with moz you're getting twice as many features ;)

septimus: it loads blazing fast for me as well without the systray helper. and it's only getting better. i don't know where these people get 15-20 seconds. they must have slower compters, no ram, or something messed up.

Another strange thing is that Mozilla is using less RAM than IE on all pages I looks at. It shouldn't in theory as IE is part of explorer.exe (only a small part and some of the kernel). Using a site like deviantart and displaying a few 60 thumbnail pages, Mozilla always uses less RAM. :ermm:

But is seems they have done a lot of tweaking.

Just to add I'm not a Microsoft hater, I'm an MCSE and MCD, I like Microsoft, if not their practices.

The truth is Mozilla are working a lot harder on their browser than MS are on IE at the moment. Just have to wait to see if that changes.

lol, he's denying straight up facts...

there's no point in trying to explain anything anymore.

Your absolutely right. I remember having a nice long argument with VaxoP when Mozilla 1.0 came out, he seems to be brainwashed by Microsoft or somthing, constantly referring to Mozilla being a communist browsers or somthing.

lol, he's denying straight up facts...

there's no point in trying to explain anything anymore.

Yes,he may be, but I am sure there are other, more open-minded, people reading this thread. I encourage them to post so it isn't just one person defending IE. I would like to see if there are any valid reasons anyone else can contribute besides "MS is big, and they should set standards","I don't know how to run test right to see that IE uses same resources as Mozilla when the runtime isn't loaded by default", and "I'm a lazy coder, along with everyone else, so the best browser is the one that makes out lives simpler, even if its the lazy way to do it."

IE is my best friend!

anyway

the goal is to view webpages...regardless if they are coded correctly or not..i doubt you can get everyone who coded their webpages "not according to the all powerful Standards" to change all cause it doesnt work right in crappy mozilla

are there more pages that are not coded perfectly according to standards than pages that are?

IE works and it works damn good for every site i go to now if it happens to not display something correctly on a site then chances are its some gay test site to show that IE doesnt do this and do that, name a popular professional site where IE doesnt render things correctly

obviously the majority of people dont give a rats ass about w3c has to say about anything and they'll continue to create webpages the way they see fit then add the "best viewed with IE" (which everyone who uses windows gets automatically) at the bottom.

anyway i agree with vaxop :D

The best argument for IE at the moment is when using .NET services combined with other applications such as video streaming and embedding of apps.

I'm doing a lot of .NET coding at the moment and IE is doing very well in creating a concise usuable interface and has the ability to handle a lot more applications running within it.

Hard to get the point across without screen shots and some examples, but everything I do cannot be created (currently) in any other browser.

That will change, but for now its what I have to use to acheive what my company wants.

Originally posted by freeza

obviously the majority of people dont give a rats ass about w3c has to say about anything.

Yeah, they don't, and its a shame. And they don't care simply because they are too lazy to read the specs and code right, not because the specs aren't good. W3C has great specs and its a shame people don't follow them.

One day the Web will be like there is now...full of standards that people follow. Just like Samsung can't make RAM that breaks the standards that a motherboard is built around and still be bought, one day Web sites will comply to the same standards.

Originally posted by freeza

i doubt you can get everyone who coded their webpages "not according to the all powerful Standards" to change all cause it doesnt work right in crappy mozilla

Could someone point me to a page that doesn't work in Mozilla? Just out of curiosity, because I've never seen one up to now.

ok ive had enough.

agentsmith, i dont kow what to tell you. of course im not going to load mozilla on startup, why would i? im not loading ie on startup. (and NO, explorer is not internet explorer. close down explorer.exe, open up internet explorer from the task manager - notice it still loads up in less than a second).

http://members.shaw.ca/d2store/moz1.JPG

http://members.shaw.ca/d2store/moz2.JPG

theres my proof. 3 windows, all maximized. first screen is when download.com has focus in mozilla, other is when ie has focus.

here are 2 other tests i did using visual basic 6:

Put both programs in visual basic to test (of course, gecko crashed the second i drew it on my form)

time to load download.com (deleted cache for both browsers for each trial)

Did 10 tests.

Mozilla: 4.206 seconds

IE: 3.671 seconds

once again this is without cache, so the lookup, download of images, and everything is started from scratch

Mozilla takes 11.2 seconds to start, internet explorer 0.6. Dont tell me explorer is linked to internet explorer cause thats BS. again, close explorer.exe, and launch ie - itll lload in the same amount of time.

Im done here i have to go to work. dont have time to argue with all the ignorant microsoft haters. proof is there, live with it

btw, agent, the screen you sent me shows explorer.exe using 29 mb of ram. explorer is not iexplore.exe. send me a screen of that please. your "proof" is not there. what i do see in that screen is mozilla using 28.980mb of ram, knidly scroll down and post how much iexplore is using.

You obviously have no idea on what your talking about. IE is loaded at startup. It leeches itself into all eliments of THE OS. Hence why MS in court has said that they cant take IE out because it IS THE OS. Which is bull but there claim.

Visual Basic is a bloated enviornment and your calling things that are ALL ready loaded into memory. I suggest that you read a book on how to benchmark because you have no idea how to do so and get acurate information. Your also dismissing the fact of IE and its runtime componenets. Get rid of them. There are components loaded into mem to load faster. IE uses heavy resorces and mem its a FACT. You would know this if you had any understanding, I think you do but dont want to admit this. I could be wrong.

Originally posted by threetonesun

Could someone point me to a page that doesn't work in Mozilla? Just out of curiosity, because I've never seen one up to now.

a few pages back werent there side by side comparisons from a page viewed in both browsers then everyone complaining about how the guy didnt use standard this standard that and thats why it looked like crap in mozilla?

my page is not current at the 100% of the w3c specifications, but still I managed to make it look great in mozilla, you dont need to correct all your code, so dont be lazy and dont take that as an excuse

and quit telling me to stop takling about microsoft.. read thru the posts.. someone else started that arguement.

in most cases pinky, market share does not dictate standards. in this case it does. why do u think only 2% of the people use a browser other than ie? (this includes opera, a kickass product that still cant display some sites correctly). its because mozilla CAN NOT display many sites correctly. this is why people switch to ie. and this is why ie's standards are THE standards. if mozilla can not render a page correctly, ie can, people will use ie, ies "standards" come out on top.

are you trynig to tell me that *nix could have gotten us where we are today? LOL. it was all microsoft and windows, whether you like it or not.

and i am a web designer, i get close to 20,000 hits daily - not a lot but its enough. those 2% that cannot see my page properly are redirected to my sponser. i make money off those ignorant people.

i agree *nix is a better server - that is ebcause they have been at it for 30 more years than microsoft. give microsoft 30 years to work on servers and then compare that product to what *nix is today.

amd and intel had to create better processors because windows demanded it, and microsoft introduced such a huge amount of people to the computer world that amd and intel actually had a market for their chips.

but please, im still waiting. if ie and windows is so full of holes, why have i not been hacked again? perhaps i didnt boldly state my ip, only in regular text. so here we are: 24.65.218.104. come get me plz

... You work for Microsoft? :ermm: ...

Originally posted by zionath

... You work for Microsoft? :ermm: ...

Lol, yeah, I've been wondering that. It's prob Bill trying to find out how to get people to like his browser.

I for one again Do not hate Microsoft. I like Microsoft products and prefer some of them over others. What I do hate which most of us will prob. agree on what we dislike is there business practices.

and quit telling me to stop takling about microsoft.. read thru the posts.. someone else started that arguement.

in most cases pinky, market share does not dictate standards. in this case it does. why do u think only 2% of the people use a browser other than ie? (this includes opera, a kickass product that still cant display some sites correctly). its because mozilla CAN NOT display many sites correctly. this is why people switch to ie. and this is why ie's standards are THE standards. if mozilla can not render a page correctly, ie can, people will use ie, ies "standards" come out on top.

are you trynig to tell me that *nix could have gotten us where we are today? LOL. it was all microsoft and windows, whether you like it or not.

and i am a web designer, i get close to 20,000 hits daily - not a lot but its enough. those 2% that cannot see my page properly are redirected to my sponser. i make money off those ignorant people.

i agree *nix is a better server - that is ebcause they have been at it for 30 more years than microsoft. give microsoft 30 years to work on servers and then compare that product to what *nix is today.

amd and intel had to create better processors because windows demanded it, and microsoft introduced such a huge amount of people to the computer world that amd and intel actually had a market for their chips.

but please, im still waiting. if ie and windows is so full of holes, why have i not been hacked again? perhaps i didnt boldly state my ip, only in regular text. so here we are: 24.65.218.104. come get me plz

Whoz ur daddy???..... Bill Gaaates is ur daddy :p