[Shell Patcher] Tango Icons for Windows

I've changed the tail-end of the FAQ section in the first post:

• On "omg orange diamonds, wrong icon!":
    • I'm probably going to change this back, soon, since this is the noisiest damn thing I hear about, the only person who actually liked that was me, and I'm not even using XP anymore. Maybe I'll just use the Gnome icon all around...

• What VS are you using in the orange-diamond-faq-screenshot?

[*]When will X86-64 be supported?

• I'm workin' on it!

I'm pretty sure 32-bit is really 24 bits of colour, and 8 bits of alpha... and Windows needs a driver that makes the distinction between the two to support alpha-blending... but it looks like you're running WindowFX or something, there, so maybe just on its own bitmaps.

I doubt any amount of mode-switching is going to fix it, unless it was stuck on a mode, like after coming out of a poorly behaved game.

Dunno. I'm running windows XP 32 bit. All I know is that I have the option of 16-bit colour, or 32-bit colour. I've had the same problem and did that and it fixed it.

I haven't seen any Tango/GNOME themes for FF3 yet, still waiting for one myself...

Problem: I just reformatted and when I apply the Shell Patcher, it installs the wrong icon for My Computer.

desktopxm2.png

I can modify the shell32.dll file myself, but then the Reloader bugs me about a file being changed, and I would prefer to have the reloader on so it can notify me of files that need being re-patched.

I have reinstalled twice and it keeps applying the wrong icon.

Anyone seen a Gnome theme for ff3 and thunderbird?

[WIP] Firefox Beta 3 Linux Theme

You can find Tango/Gnome FF3 skins there. As for Thunderbird, there is a Tango theme but no Gnome themes, although Stefeq did release a teaser back in February but so far it still hasn't been released.

Scirwode

That's the first icon in explorer.exe.

....ok, but why is it an icon of a server when it should be a computer as it was before the reformat?

What could cause this?

....ok, but why is it an icon of a server when it should be a computer as it was before the reformat?

What could cause this?

The simplest things to check... either:

• Your icon cache is messed up
  • You have its icon set using something else (iconpackager, windows's own control panel for changing the desktop icons
  • You have a very interesting modified reshack script / swapped icon file.

Anything else and we're getting into the realm of "I'm too sleepy to think of it at the moment."

Finally installed this patch. I wish I unchecked the boot thing (when the progress bar is going through the windows xp screen). Any way to get it off?

Finally installed this patch. I wish I unchecked the boot thing (when the progress bar is going through the windows xp screen). Any way to get it off?
Fire up the uninstaller, uncheck everything but the boot-splash item.

@tehmemories - could it be Vista Drive Indicator? or Vista Drive Icon?

I think he meant Vista Drive icon, but I'm not sure on the condition of the skins, even if they're uploaded here or on another server that is already expired. Also, only two versions were made, Tango and Tangerine, Gnome and Industrial were given the cold shoulder :p .

EDIT: I found out where they are and the Tango versions seems to be online. Tangerine however seems to have disappeared.

EDIT2: It seems my foray into the past has unearthed vertigosity's work on Solitaire. If I may ask, what happened to it?

Scirwode

Ah yeah, my drive meter icons are gone for good unless somebody still has them. I changed domains and webhosts ages back, so no more tangerine vista drive meter D:

Vista Drive Indicator works for XP yes?

Vista Drive Icon works on XP.

Scirwode

Vista Drive Indicator works for XP yes?

They look to be the same program. And the screenshots for both look to be taken in Windows XP.

I love this pack, but I have one small issue with it, for some reason when I install a new program, the icon for it in the All Programs menu is replaced by an orange square on it's point icon, like this. I've uninstalled it, and reinstalled, but still the folders are like that. Sorry if this issue has been covered, I searched for an answer but couldn't narrow down a solution.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Also I tried rebuilding the icon cache using Tweak UI, but that didn't help either.

I love this pack, but I have one small issue with it, for some reason when I install a new program, the icon for it in the All Programs menu is replaced by an orange square on it's point icon

Vertigosity did this on purpose, as a generic folder icon. If you look at the first post on the thread, you'll see how you can change icons according to what category they fall under, e.g. you can have a custom icon for the Accessories folder. If you don't like making custom icons, then the diamond will be the icon for all your categories.

@ Vertigosity: I'm another person that thinks the diamond icon on start menu groupings should be kept :D I think it's a nice idea, especially when combined with the ability to change the default icon for each grouping.

Perhaps it would be possible to have an option in the installer for the patcher to automatically change the default icon for the standard categories, like Accessories, Games, etc.? Then people might not be confused about what's going on, and perhaps might be convinced of how good it is to have custom icons for default menu groupings :D

Perhaps half the problem is that many people don't know you can have custom icons in the start menu. An option in the installer to modify the default categories would likely go a long way to solving that problem.

As far as that goes, I dropped Tango's orange diamond in favor of Gnome's junkbox and checked that into SVN (a few weeks ago). It'll probably be the only theme-related change when I release the 64-bit supported patcher.

Setting some of them on the default program groups probably isn't that hard - just make an INI, and attrib it system hidden, both things NSIS has good built-in functions for. I'll keep it in mind (Y)

Vertigosity did this on purpose, as a generic folder icon. If you look at the first post on the thread, you'll see how you can change icons according to what category they fall under, e.g. you can have a custom icon for the Accessories folder. If you don't like making custom icons, then the diamond will be the icon for all your categories.

Cool, thanks, I guess I didn't search as well as I thought..but then I didn't really have any idea what I was searching for. And it actually seems like a good way to organize, I wasn't aware of this. Thanks again for the info!

Is there a Songbird icon and GNOME theme? I haven't been able to find any.

Scirwode

Ah, thanks for that (Y) . I'm also looking for a Mozilla Sunbird icon and a GNOME theme for it. Do you know where I can find it?

Scirwode

Ah, thanks for that (Y) . I'm also looking for a Mozilla Sunbird icon and a GNOME theme for it. Do you know where I can find it?

Scirwode

(for Sunbird) If all you need is a dock icon, Hylke Bons did one alongside Firefox and Thunderbird: http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php...amp;PHPSESSID=6

- I haven't converted other sizes like I did for the other two, though.

I don't think half the icons Sunbird uses have anything in GIT...

Edited by vertigosity