[Shell Patcher] Tango Icons for Windows

I love the tango port! very cool. I have it running on my work and home pc. One question, if i already have the previous version installed, how would I go about installing your update? Do I just run the installer over the existing? Or do I need to remove then reinstall? thanks

It'll work either way. I usually only bother restoring the unmodified original files if I'm switching shell packs, just for consistency's sake (even with XPize and CrystalXP and such).

Update: Some more random-swath-of-destruction resource inclusion, notably included is the start button logo, Netshell (the lock DOES look a little out of place, but it stays until I find something better - I'm a little bit more satisfied with the old "wired-network" icon though), a 96x96 folder icon for thumbnail view, and a completely inappropriate icon choice for the explorer view-type button :laugh:. Hit up the first post in thread for linkage.

I like the new update except im not sure on the start button logo. I use classic.

What file should I edit if I wish to change it? Think its explorer.exe correct?

*I think the old views icon on the toolbar was nicer as well :)

I like the new update except im not sure on the start button logo. I use classic.

What file should I edit if I wish to change it? Think its explorer.exe correct?

*I think the old views icon on the toolbar was nicer as well :)

Yep, explorer.exe bitmap #176. It's one of those funky Alpha-bitmaps, so you'll need the original one or ResEdit to import a PNG.

Regarding the views icons... dunno! Give it some time, neither are really "canon" icons for the job, and the old one was from Gnome - I think the glasses sorta say "change the way you look at things," and using smilies in places they don't belong makes me grin like a little kid :cool:

anyone got a screenshot of what this would look like with a brighter vs? eg. windows classic or hmmxp?

And in a mad twist of irony, I just so happen to be running HmmXP on my laptop! I won't expose my start panel, though, I haven't cleaned it up on that machine and it's quite embarrassing.

And in a mad twist of irony, I just so happen to be running HmmXP on my laptop!

You gave me the verification I needed, looks great, downloading now! :D

So does this include AVIs yet? I love the Tango icons but I'm real anal about that. :rofl:

It doesn't (yet), although I've been meaning to learn how to do AVIs ever since I started on Inexperience a while back, and that'd probably be a good Next Thing To Play With (the lack of AVIs is kinda bugging me, too :rofl:). Any free-as-in-beer software suggestions for doing 'em? I don't really look forward to building them completely frame-by-frame in PSP9 and then putting them together in Animation Shop, which is how I've always done this sort of thing.

Does it include and updater for after Windows Updates?

There isn't any fancy thing that works incrementally like XPize/Flyakite (making something like THAT would require actual work), but it's fast enough that it's not too slow to re-hack everything after updating. If you plan on uninstalling it later, you might want to restore before applying, then delete the contents of the "original," "backup," and "modified" folders. Yeah, I ought to make a proper installer someday, but I'm lazy :whistle:

56k warning! Now that I've got my feeble attempt to keep me from looking at my own thread out of the way... I'm having a go at doing AVIs (Yeah, I want 'em too), and the flat transparency Brought To You By The Color Red just doesn't mesh well with the antialiasedness and shadows that Tango does everywhere. Basically, it's getting a static background, probably a static color although a subtle gradient might work nicely. Three examples I've thrown together for opinion polling:

bg_leftfoot.gifbg_rightfoot.gifbg_rascism.gif

Also, I've done comctl32.dll on my own box, which solves one of my pet peeves with most (including my own) shell-pack jobs. But.... it ****es off System File Protection in a new and interesting way. Y'all think the tradeoff is worth it for inclusion in the versions that I distribute publicly?

comctl32%20does%20what%20exactly.pngAltering%20Comctl32%20Annoys%20SFC%20Off%20In%20New%20And%20Interesting%20Ways.png

this shell pack is awesome. not sure what avis are but even without them, this is THE best shell pack (tango icons rock) in the world. propz to u vertigosity. :cool:

this shell pack is awesome. not sure what avis are but even without them, this is THE best shell pack (tango icons rock) in the world. propz to u vertigosity. :cool:

Thanks, my ego's glowing now :)

AVI's the video format (for example, most DivX film rips are in AVI format, but with a different codec from what shell32 uses), that shell32 has a few of and uses as animations in places like the copying/moving/deleting progess dialogs.

Firstly, thank you for this fantastic shell pack! All of the icon selections are perfect and they look great with all of my favorite VSs.

I would like to request that you replace the damn annoying "Safely Remove Hardware" system tray icon in the next version. If you did that I don't think I'd ever need to change my icons again.

xptangofiedcopydlg.png

^ I like this. If I don't hear any objections or better suggestions in the next 18 hours or so, I'm doin' 'em like this. Going through and looking at them, I'm just now noticing that the XP shell32 AVIs have pretty gnatty aliasing and even a few purple/red halos on them... quite poor, really!

I would like to request that you replace the damn annoying "Safely Remove Hardware" system tray icon in the next version. If you did that I don't think I'd ever need to change my icons again.

That might be a little tough, since the Tango iconset doesn't include anything that really fits the bill... something like a HD (yeah, all my safely-removable-devices are USB mass-storage devices, I'm kinda biased) with the edit-delete ("universal no") symbol or arrow going away overlayed, maybe? I'm a little partial to using the "eject" button glyph, but that's just my opinion, and it's still not 100% quite right... but then, a box with an arrow going away is pretty specific :rofl:

Do these also work with Windows 2000?

I would say no, not a chance. Win2k has no support at all for alpha channels in icons, only 1-bit transparency, unlike XP which has full alpha channel support in its ICOs and certain bitmaps, and KDE and Gnome (which Tango is really targetted towards) which use the original PNGs and SVGs natively.

But just for giggles, I gave it a shot in VMware (I had to manually replace shell32, it doesn't let itself be renamed around like it does on XP), and it disturbs the heck out of me to say it, but the answer is yes... kind of. A picture is worth a thousand words:

The 16x16 icons degrade nicely for the most part, although the shadows on the bigger icons just look horrible. And there you have it!

Hey, thanks a whole lot for this pack. I recently went Cairo and wouldn't be able to keep it this long if it weren't for your shellpack. :) Great job, really.

^ I like this. If I don't hear any objections or better suggestions in the next 18 hours or so, I'm doin' 'em like this.

I think that would be a bad choice. I don't think the minimalists, who seem to use your pack the most, would like that big blue box around all their animations. I personally don't think it works...