[Shell Patcher] Tango Icons for Windows

I just wanted to say that I had trouble with the uninstall on the previous version where I got an error message concerning my shell file, an error message would pop up on start up and I had to system restore in order to fix it. I was wondering if anyone else experienced the same problem uninstalling and if this issue had been addressed on this newer release?

Windows did an update last night, and some of my icons are all back to the normal XP icons. Should I just run the installer file again to correct this?

Thanks for your reply. Well I was just wondering still this is the best set of icons ever. Whish we would get more icon packs like that. :)

Hmm on Power Options you say any idea how can I change it and why it wasn't changed in the first place? I'm pretty anal about these kind of things. :whistle:

Many thanks again.

Not really sure why it wasn't changed in the first place... check the version of the files in the modified folder to see if they have the proper icons on them, and rename-swap them into their target locations (probably system32). (Power Options is powercfg.cpl, in system32) Looking at your screenshot, though, there's a few other things that didn't hack/replace properly either, so it might be worth uninstalling and attempting it again to see if it fails predictably and/or works properly in safe mode. If you can get it to fail predictably, then I ought to see about adding some gratuitous debug code to the script for ya, and letting you run that to find out what's buggering up.
I just wanted to say that I had trouble with the uninstall on the previous version where I got an error message concerning my shell file, an error message would pop up on start up and I had to system restore in order to fix it. I was wondering if anyone else experienced the same problem uninstalling and if this issue had been addressed on this newer release?
Yeah, it was a problem with something silly I did (touching two instances of comctl32.dll without letting the uninstaller keep multiple different backups) with the first 0.7.1 release. It's fixed in the current version, although that doesn't help anyone who wants to uninstall the comctl32.dlls from the old version; to do that, you'll need to exploit the fact that the original 0.7.1 didn't delete the original versions from their locations (in the WinSXS folder) and rename-swap them with the currently-used ones.
Please patch the outlook-express-icons too (toolbar and adressbook) ...

99% perfect :woot:

Thanks again ...

I've been (lazily) working on the OE/WAB toolbar bitmaps a little bit, I'll put some focus on that and get that for the next version. I don't know whether I want to toss the generic Tango icons for mail and addressbook on the apps themselves; in fact, there's some lengthy discussion on the Tango-artists mailing list on the topic right now. I'll sit on it until I see what the official consensus on the topic is.
Windows did an update last night, and some of my icons are all back to the normal XP icons. Should I just run the installer file again to correct this?
Yep, that's the idea! If you want to maintain uninstallability, you'll need to uninstall the pack, re-install the patches, then reinstall the pack, but if you don't mind being permanently Tangooed, or using sfc /scannow or reinstalling to change back later, then just run it as it sits.

Not really sure why it wasn't changed in the first place... check the version of the files in the modified folder to see if they have the proper icons on them, and rename-swap them into their target locations (probably system32). (Power Options is powercfg.cpl, in system32) Looking at your screenshot, though, there's a few other things that didn't hack/replace properly either, so it might be worth uninstalling and attempting it again to see if it fails predictably and/or works properly in safe mode. If you can get it to fail predictably, then I ought to see about adding some gratuitous debug code to the script for ya, and letting you run that to find out what's buggering up.

I checked and yes powercfg.cpl in system32 has been replaced by a proper icon but it's not showing in Control panel. I tried uninstall and reinstall still it doesn't change. Even tried it on my girlfriends computer and it's the same there. Both are running the same version of Windows though. (Windows XP Pro SP2 Corporate).

It's no big deal really, still love the icon pack the way it is regardless of some icons not being replaced properly. Thanks for your help on it, vertigosity. It's really no problem. Glad I have this icon pack. :D

Yep, that's the idea! If you want to maintain uninstallability, you'll need to uninstall the pack, re-install the patches, then reinstall the pack, but if you don't mind being permanently Tangooed, or using sfc /scannow or reinstalling to change back later, then just run it as it sits.

Thanks for the quick reply. This worked like a charm. I'm back to being "Tangooed" all over again! :)

Quick question that i need answered. im running windows xp on a pretty old box and i have tangod all the icons nicely and all, im just wondering if anyone has some suggestions for say wallpapers, fonts that look best on say windows classic.

Also any other low resource themes would be good ;)

Thanks, it helps a lot.

Great icon set

Mutal1sk you can use Calibri which is an awesome font and looks very nice and clean.

For wallpapers try www.socksoff.co.uk

Thanks man, basicallyy what i wanted :)

Good to see you can come here, ask a simple question, and get exactly the answer you wanted.

Cheers

Tango is sexy ... :blush:

In orange too ...

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OrangeTango

Yep, they're quite awesome, I've downloaded 'em, but haven't played with them yet aside from batch-converting the SVGs to PNGs; I spent all my free time for the last week or so looking for work and working on my car. Life gets in the way of so many projects :p But yeah, you don't even have to ask, I'm doin' 'em - I've been needing a break from the overwhelming Blueness of official Tango for a week or two. apt-get install Tangerine-icon-theme!

Life gets in the way of so many projects :p But yeah, you don't even have to ask, I'm doin' 'em - I've been needing a break from the overwhelming Blueness of official Tango for a week or two. apt-get install Tangerine-icon-theme!

:woot: :woot: :woot:

im about to move from IconPackager Tango Set to this shell-pack

looks good, downloading atm

i ll drop some feedback after installing, thanks

Nice update. Thank you very much. Installed with no problems on Russian Windows XP and also I do not a bug in office applications which I posted before.

Many thanks again for your hard work.

Cheers,

Yep, they're quite awesome, I've downloaded 'em, but haven't played with them yet aside from batch-converting the SVGs to PNGs; I spent all my free time for the last week or so looking for work and working on my car. Life gets in the way of so many projects :p But yeah, you don't even have to ask, I'm doin' 'em - I've been needing a break from the overwhelming Blueness of official Tango for a week or two. apt-get install Tangerine-icon-theme!

Yup. I'd love to have an Orange Tango Patcher too. Wish u could release soon. :)

im about to move from IconPackager Tango Set to this shell-pack

looks good, downloading atm

i ll drop some feedback after installing, thanks

i ve installed it and it looks 10 times cooler then the IconPackager

thanks LOTS!

Yup. I'd love to have an Orange Tango Patcher too. Wish u could release soon. :)

I promise it'll be out before Dapper Drake is released. In June :rofl:

^^Nice to hear that.

No, really, I've been doing a bunch of refactoring (switching file/pathnames to sort-of comply with the icon-naming-spec) to save space and make things more manageable... saved about 2.5MB of space by deleting duplicate icons, and it'll make the job of overlaying Orangotangerine a lot simpler, and just generally makes everything a whole lot less redundant.

Just to be a silly Vertigo (because I am a silly Vertigo), I want that wallpaper too :shifty: - and for added silliness, you could call the VS recolor "A Clearlook Orange" and score some scary movie silly-points.