Neowin Mac users

:ninja: I plan to buy eight Corsair 2GB DDR 400 when it becomes available at less than a thousand bucks...16GB of memory, woo hoo! :ninja:

I've got 4GB in mine already :D

I just replaced one of the iBooks with a 1.33GHz 12" PowerBook

Does the G5 tower accept 2GB DIMMs? I've seen 16GB listed as the max for the XServes somewhere, but, never for the tower...

I've got 4GB in mine already :D

I just replaced one of the iBooks with a 1.33GHz 12" PowerBook

Does the G5 tower accept 2GB DIMMs? I've seen 16GB listed as the max for the XServes somewhere, but, never for the tower...

I'm pretty sure it does. The memory limits in the specs for the G5 tower were written before the 2GB DIMMS were available. Apple has a bad habit of never updating that kind of information in their spec sheets (they still list 512MB as the max for a Pismo, because 512MB SODIMMS were not available when the Pismo was made).

I think DigiJames has 3Gb RAM in his! :p I've only got 1.5Gb in mine - for the moment anyhow. I am after a cheap Clamshell iBook, so if anyone's got one... I've already checked up eBay! ;)

What kind of price range are you looking for? And what model/speed in particular? I'll see what I can locate.

I'm pretty sure it does.  The memory limits in the specs for the G5 tower were written before the 2GB DIMMS were available.  Apple has a bad habit of never updating that kind of information in their spec sheets (they still list 512MB as the max for a Pismo, because 512MB SODIMMS were not available when the Pismo was made).

Same was true of the WallStreet (for example) which (for some machines) could take up to 512MB, and G4 PowerBook and iBooks could take 1GB SoDIMMs unofficially.

Was just wondering if anyone had seen anything other than speculation...

EDIT: Just looked at Corsair's site, as far as I see, the 2GB memory listed is 2x1GB DIMMs (still giving a 8GB limit), unless I'm missing something else on the site?

Edited by Pilsbury

I don't know if this can be counted as a Mac but here it is:

Blue and White G3

400Mhz

384MB ram

60GB SATA and I am ashamed to say a

ATi Rage 128 :D

but hey it's my first mac.

edit: and yeah OS X 10.3.4

Dual 2Ghz G5

512MB

160GB SATA

Radeon 9600 Pro

2x Radeon 7000 PCI

ViewSonic 20

2x Compaq P75

Mac OS X 10.3.4

My new system is very similar to mrelusive's Only a tich better (in most areas, exception being he's got more vid cards???). I had everything pretty much maxed out as much as apple would allow. I also have a stock G5 sittin around :D

Dual 2GHz G5

? 8GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200:woot:t:

? 2x 250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm

? ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

? 2x Apple Cinema Studio Displays

? Mac OS 10.3.4

Granted work paid for the system but it's technically "m:yes:uot; :yes:

one this that bothers me though is how freaking lound the thing is, I am used to how quiet windows computer are.

If you want a quite computer you should buy one of the Macs without fans. :rolleyes:

one this that bothers me though is how freaking lound the thing is, I am used to how quiet windows computer are.

The B&W G3 should be a LOT quieter than the average x86 machine (the majority of which are in no way quiet) as it is largely convection cooled, with the PSU fan being the only fan (IIRC).

I'd check that it's not clogged up with dirt and dust if it's noisy, as the machine should be barely audible in a normal room

From Forbes.com-

'The G5 supports up to 8 gigabytes of RAM, whereas the current line of G4 boxes maxed at 2 gigabytes. Eight gigabytes may seem like a lot of memory, but consider this: The chip has a theoretical memory limit of 18 exabytes. That is not a typo'

Also, I did read in a tech doc on Apple's site that the controller in the G5 supports 2GB memory modules. They just aren't in existence yet. Corsair is supposed to be working on 2GB high density chips. I don't recall where I read this tho, probably MacNN.

From Forbes.com-

'The G5 supports up to 8 gigabytes of RAM, whereas the current line of G4 boxes maxed at 2 gigabytes. Eight gigabytes may seem like a lot of memory, but consider this: The chip has a theoretical memory limit of 18 exabytes. That is not a typo'

Also, I did read in a tech doc on Apple's site that the controller in the G5 supports 2GB memory modules. They just aren't in existence yet. Corsair is supposed to be working on 2GB high density chips. I don't recall where I read this tho, probably MacNN.

actually, i thought corsair had released those modules, they were just ridiculously expensive and they were extremely rare.

I own a PowerBook G4, one of the news ones, however once Apple releases a G5 PowerBook, I'm trading up!

so am i (Y)

hopefully the rumors will be strong and i will be able to sell it for a good price before they appear and the pbg4's lose a lot of value.

Me:

Clamshell iBook "Lime" 366

G3 366Mhz

10Gb HDD

64Mb RAM

CD-ROM

"FireWire"

:)

dsc_0027.jpg

images625277.jpg

limeibook.gif

^ Not my pics - s'coming Monday! :)

Edited by ~~NeYo~~

Me:

Clamshell iBook "Lime" 366

G3 366Mhz

10Gb HDD

64Mb RAM

CD-ROM

"FireWire"

:)

I still can't believe you got that thing...

My Graphite one is teh pr0!!! Check the Your Mac Hardware one for a sneak... I'm not showing off the whole new setup until I get my new PowerBook :D

back on the mac, it's been 7 years since I last owned a mac, so I decided that it was time to own one again so I bought one (used though but I don't care)

12" Ibook

g3 800mhz

384mb ram

30gb hd

osx 10.2.8

Powerbook 12'

12.1-inch TFT Display

1024x768 resolution

1.33GHz PowerPC G4

512K L2 cache

256MB DDR333 SDRAM

60GB Ultra ATA/100

NVIDIA GeForce FX

Go5200 (64MB DDR)

Full size keyboard

10/100BASE-T Ethernet

FireWire 400

AirPort Extreme built-in

Mini-DVI out

Mac OS 10.3.4

iBook G3 800mhz

256mb RAM

40gb HD

OS X 10.3 Panther

A bunch of Lovely Unix Tools.

I am still killing myself today for not having bought the Combo Drive.

Is it possible to change that? I know how to take my iBook apart, just, where the hell could I find the part >.<

iBook G3 800mhz

256mb RAM

40gb HD

OS X 10.3 Panther

A bunch of Lovely Unix Tools.

I am still killing myself today for not having bought the Combo Drive.

Is it possible to change that? I know how to take my iBook apart, just, where the hell could I find the part >.<

If you find a combo drive on ebay you could add it. I have seen 1x superdrives that worked in iBook also, but they were ~$500.

Powerbook G4 15" 1.5 Ghz

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB

512 Ram

80GB 5400RPM

Superdrive

OS X 10.3 Panther

Final Cut Pro

..:D

I got her about 4 days ago, i'm new to os x and i'm pretty much loving it.