Neowin Mac users

• 2 weeks later...

Though I don't usually usually surf to Neowin on my Mac, I still use it a lot. So here we go...

Model

15.2" PowerBook G4

Specifications

PowerPC G4 @ 867 MHz

512 MB SDRAM

40 GB 4,200 RPM Hard Drive

DVD/CD-RW Combo (shoulda got the Superdrive, doh)

Operating System

Mac OS X Jaguar 10.2.6

Model

12'' iBook

Specs

800mhz G3

Standard CD Drive

30gb HD

128mb Ram (Going 640mb soon)

OS

OS X 10.2.6

Lets start a www.Ne0mac.net?

Machine: G4 Quicksilver

Specs:

800mhz G4

Super Drive

40 gb HD (33gb Free)

60 gb HD

20 gb iPod

1.25 gigs of Ram

OS 9.2.2

OS X 10.2.6

Lets start a www.Ne0mac.net?

Machine: G4 Quicksilver

Specs:

800mhz G4

Super Drive

40gb HD (33gb Free)

60 gb HD

20 gb iPod

1.25 gigs of Ram

OS 9.2.2

OS X 10.2.6

Somebody should star that site :p

• 5 weeks later...

Dazzla, how do you like your 12" powerbook? i'm planning on getting that exact model for my home recording studio, but i'd like to hear some thoughts on it first.

I love it. It's small enough to lug around anywhere without a second thought. I carry it around as a matter instinct almost. Going downstairs for a bite to eat? Grab the Powerbook and sit it on the table :D battery life is good. I've got the brightness all the way up, Airport going and I'm outside in the garden. I've got 2:41 left :D

Performance isn't too bad either. I tried a bit of video encoding yesterday, I got 17fps encoding to 3ivx and that in my eyes is pretty damn good for a 867MHz CPU with no L3 cache. I get between 24-30 on a 2.53GHz P4 so it's a very impressive little statistic.

The 12" screen is lovely, very even brightness and very clear. I was lucky enough to have no dead pixels. It's also extremely silent, the fan stays off and to be honest you wouldn't know it was running, it's deadly silent. The only time the fan came on was when I was doing the video encoding for around an hour straight.

Which brings me onto probably the only bad point, heat. In general use it's warm to the touch, not hot, and in my eyes it's fine. But once the fan kicked in, you knew it was hot. Wow, because the whole shell is aluminium the heat dissipates throughout the entire shell of the laptop and it got hot, hot, hot. The hard disc (bottom left) and battery (top right) got very hot when video encoding, so much so it was uncomfortable to hold.

Heat issues aside, it's a very cool machine. Very lustworthy, very Apple, very cool.

• 4 weeks later...
Which brings me onto probably the only bad point, heat. In general use it's warm to the touch, not hot, and in my eyes it's fine. But once the fan kicked in, you knew it was hot. Wow, because the whole shell is aluminium the heat dissipates throughout the entire shell of the laptop and it got hot, hot, hot. The hard disc (bottom left) and battery (top right) got very hot when video encoding, so much so it was uncomfortable to hold.

That's why I wish Apple stuck with the titanium. It was so nice and cool. :D I'm kinda hoping the 15" revision is also titanium. I don't care about weight much, as long as I can happily get my work done.

Lmao all you guys with your G4's and G5's...

I just bought my Blue and White G3..It's my first Real mac (I dont consider the powermac 7200 anything admirable)

Specs:

G3/400mhz

Rev.2

384mb RAM (Plan on 512mb or more)

Default Vid card (getting radeon 7000)

12GB HD

15GB HD

OS 9.2.2 + Mac OS X 10.2.6

Just ordered my DP2GHZ stock yesterday. Says I will have it end of Sept. :) Even got my discount because i am a teacher!! I called and asked what the teacher price was (I already knew from the website) and then he got it down another 100!! SO i am not very patiently waiting.... :)

That's why I wish Apple stuck with the titanium. It was so nice and cool. :D I'm kinda hoping the 15" revision is also titanium. I don't care about weight much, as long as I can happily get my work done.

If it's hot with Aluminum, it would be much worse with a Titanium shell. Al is a better heat dissipator than Ti.

Congrats Cat on the new toy. :) They are very sweet machines.