Latest Japanese Hardware Sales

Didn't Microsoft announce they hit the 10 mil mark a few months ago? If so, why is it STILL on 10 mil?

They announced they shipped 10 million months ago.

^ vgchartz isn't really a reliable source for hardware numbers. they seem to pull their numbers out of nowhere. i don't doubt that the wii is about to pass the 360 in sales (if it hasn't already done so), but i wouldn't take that site's numbers as official.

+1

There is no good way of tracking total world sales.

-Spenser

VGChartz, or any of those sales tracking sites, aren't reliable. While sales for Japan/America are officially reported every week/month, data for most of the PAL countries is hard to come by. Occasionally you'll get some official stats, but these are few and far between.

Either way, it is likely that the Wii will overtake the 360 in worldwide sales soon enough. By the beginning of July, Microsoft had shipped around 11.6 million 360s. So sold to consumers will probably be around the 9-10 million mark.

I can't wait to see what happens next week with the sold out DS Lite launch in Japan.

I think it won't be long before the DS runs out of steam, thats got to be why they're hitting us with the lite, i mean we don't need a lite version, its just a way of maintaining sales momentum. I think longterm the psp is gonna catch up and overtake on sales.

I think it won't be long before the DS runs out of steam, thats got to be why they're hitting us with the lite, i mean we don't need a lite version, its just a way of maintaining sales momentum. I think longterm the psp is gonna catch up and overtake on sales.

I think we've seen what's happened with the DS lite already. You're answering a post from March of 2006.

Welcom to the forums, though :blink:

Even though the post is old, the same still holds true, nintendo redesigns the same hardware and sells it over to keep sales going. Look at the GB, the GBA and now the DS with it's lite version. I wouldn't be shocked if they don't flash out a newer Wii soon, maybe with a hdd? Either way, now Sony is doing the Nintendo trick with it's redesigned PSP.

Sony did it with the PS1 and PSOne. Then the PS2 and the PSTwo. It's not a new trick and I think is more of a product of the advancement of technology than anything else. Of course the "New" factor doesn't jurt bring previous non-buyers into the fold. The thing that got me about his comment was the "thats got to be why they're hitting us with the lite" after the lite has been out and kicking but for a while now.

The thing that got me about his comment was the "thats got to be why they're hitting us with the lite" after the lite has been out and kicking but for a while now.

Haha, yeah. When I read that, I thought the forum acting screwy and sent me into a timewarp.

Well, yeah, You're right. Sonys been doing it also since the original playstation. It slipped my mind at the time.

8/13 - 8/19

DSL - 153,819

Wii - 73,938

PSP - 33,715

PS3 - 21,720

PS2 - 15,240

Xbox360 - 2,445

GBM - 418

GBASP - 212

GC - 145

GBA - 24

DS - 15

everything except for the fat ds went up.

8/27 - 9/2

DSL - 94,339

Wii - 39,371

PSP - 22,196

PS3 - 18,068

PS2 - 14,280

Xbox360 - 1,635

GBM - 263

GBASP - 195

GC - 73

GBA - 16

DS - 0

This is the first time the DS Lite has gone under 100k EVER. 78 weeks of 100k plus sales is a very impressive track record, it's just a damn shame it didn't reach 100 :(

This is the first time the DS Lite has gone under 100k EVER. 78 weeks of 100k plus sales is a very impressive track record, it's just a damn shame it didn't reach 100 :(

I think they are just running out of folk who can buy the damn thing :p

Ahahahaha!!!! 360 is just over 1k there. What the hell is the MS marketing team doing over there!?!?!

Nothing.

I think they are just running out of folk who can buy the damn thing :p

They just released a red/black model, so sales should pick up :p

There's no new game to push the 360 in japan atm, you have to have something for people to talk about and to draw in new buyers. I also don't know if they cut prices in Japan like in NA and EU.

They just released a red/black model, so sales should pick up :p

I think that everyone in Japan already owns 2 DS, but I know they're crazy, so they will probably pick a third one.