Intel beats AMD with new CPU! Hell FrozeN?

im quite impressed... but doesnt this chip come out in like Q4? what would amd have by then? 5000+ and higher... so the gap will deminish... although i havent seen any plans for amd to release a 3GHz cpu this year... 2.8GHz should be the limit for 2006.

nonetheless those results are impressive... i dont care about the game scores... when we're talking 120fps vs 140fps... who cares at that point anyway... whats more impressive is the encoding/decoding times (Y)

Anyone who's been around the game for awhile knew from the start...all the crap AMD has been pulling the past couple of years...they just woke a sleeping giant.

I have no problem with Intel coming back on top. In truth I've never had stability issues with any processor I've ever used, including Cyrix. The flakiest CPU I've dealt with is my current AthlonXP (I always upgrade with new OSes, so my next will be for Vista). Simple truth is, Athlon owners have to be a bit more 'aware' of the goings-ons inside their computers. They like to heat up, so you can't get away with putting an Athlon in a poorly ventilated case for long.

On the other hand, going a tiny bit out of your way to put in some fans, and keeping compressed air handy, will help keep things pretty much worry-free. No need to really invest in heatsinks...the included ones are more than adequate unless you overclock. I at times do miss my old P2's free-to-forget-about-it feel, but hey.

I do hope that, if I end up buying Intel down the road, it feels as versatile as my AMD setup has. CPUs aren't nearly as big a deal as motherboards when it comes to freedom.

-Edit-

they just woke a sleeping giant.

I seriously hate that saying. :p It somehow always manages to sound arrogant as hell.

anyone noticed? intel got stuck at 3.8 Ghz, and AMD took baby steps until overtaking Intel. Now intel takes a HUGE step and AMD is all the way back again

isnt next gen AMD only an improvement on DDR2 and nothing more?

incorrect.. the AM2 socket will also have more HT bandwidth to meet ddr2 needs, along w/ a die shrink, and pacifica additions.

I have no problem with Intel coming back on top. In truth I've never had stability issues with any processor I've ever used, including Cyrix. The flakiest CPU I've dealt with is my current AthlonXP (I always upgrade with new OSes, so my next will be for Vista). Simple truth is, Athlon owners have to be a bit more 'aware' of the goings-ons inside their computers. They like to heat up, so you can't get away with putting an Athlon in a poorly ventilated case for long.

On the other hand, going a tiny bit out of your way to put in some fans, and keeping compressed air handy, will help keep things pretty much worry-free. No need to really invest in heatsinks...the included ones are more than adequate unless you overclock. I at times do miss my old P2's free-to-forget-about-it feel, but hey.

I do hope that, if I end up buying Intel down the road, it feels as versatile as my AMD setup has. CPUs aren't nearly as big a deal as motherboards when it comes to freedom.

Yeah, if you have to buy a new motherboard with every cpu, that adds up the cost pretty quickly. and kinda defeat the purpose of sockets. why not just get a motherboard with the cpu soldered in, if the interface changes all the time anyways?

Anyone who's been around the game for awhile knew from the start...all the crap AMD has been pulling the past couple of years...they just woke a sleeping giant.

You are exactly right. When a company has a huge market share, they cut back on R&D. A company trying to increase market share will need to provide better products and that is exactly what AMD did with the 64 bit chips. Now Intel is going at it again.

Congrats to them I say, it's been a while coming.

Not fussed who makes my processor either way, I'll buy what's best at the time, but the only question I've got about those graphs is why are they comparing current gen to next gen tech? If you read the article, they used an FX-60 @ 2.8 with DDR400, which don't get me wrong, is AMD's finest at the moment, but I can buy that, I can't buy a Conroe yet, so why didn't they compare it to the AM2 chips with DDRII-800 (not the 667 that got posted a few weeks ago)

Gotta admit though, Intel seem to have something special on their hands now, and AMD are gonna have to pull something special out to come close to that kind of an increase.

You are exactly right. When a company has a huge market share, they cut back on R&D. A company trying to increase market share will need to provide better products and that is exactly what AMD did with the 64 bit chips. Now Intel is going at it again.

Yeah. I don't think it's wise for any tech company to ever scale back their R&D at all. It may add costs, but will bring in profit down the road when they make huge leaps forward.

Yeah, if you have to buy a new motherboard with every cpu, that adds up the cost pretty quickly. and kinda defeat the purpose of sockets. why not just get a motherboard with the cpu soldered in, if the interface changes all the time anyways?

hahaha.. u actually think that companies/businesses exsist b/c they're trying to make the "consumer" lives easier? ;)

they're here for one purpose... to make money :rolleyes:

intel is finally clocking there speed correctly now huh? i hated this 3.6Ghz, when amd's 2.2Ghz pulled the same weight...

more compitition is ALWAYS better :D

hahaha.. u actually think that companies/businesses exsist b/c they're trying to make the "consumer" lives easier? ;)

they're here for one purpose... to make money :rolleyes:

I know. That's coming frtom my perspective though, not that of the business.

Hare(Intel) vs. the Tutle(AMD)

Intel = got off the starting line first and lead in the beginning, but in the middle of the race the rabbit took a nap, then woke up when they noticed AMD had a more solid desktop/server product, and had to play catchup till this point in time.

AMD = slow and steady, unwaivering in their planned execution...

AMD doesn't look like they will have much with AM2. It will probably settle just right below Intel's new offerings. Meaning, *fanfare* price war.

I would really like to see IBM's Power6 5ghz multi-core CPU this year.

anyway I see it, I agree on the statement "this is comparing an "current-gen vs. nex-gen"". Not a Fanboy, but as some people state this is what intel had up their sleeves, makes you wonder if AMD has anything to counter it ?

Come on :rolleyes: You're comparing tomorrow's technology to something that came out yesterday. Of course future chips from Intel are going to beat AMD's chips that were released last year! When AMD releases something comparable and Intel beats it, I'll give Intel the credit, but until then don't get to excited.

I recently got a Pentium D 920, but now I'm curious as to how this performs against Conroe. Since dual-cores are enough for me for now, I'll hold off til the quad-core Kentsfield is released and see how much of a performance jump they really are.

I would really like to see IBM's Power6 5ghz multi-core CPU this year.

I doubt such a thing is coming. If it were, Apple probably would have stayed with IBM for their computers.