free cd's from ubuntu

Ok I was browsing the internet last night and saw something for free ubuntu cd's from shipit. ubuntu.com . now is this a free cd company or is it a scam>

They're free and they'll ship you however many you want. A local store here ordered 20 copies of each of the three versions (PC, Mac, 64bit). I got shipped 5 of each free.

It's legit.

@bobdude - mine took about six weeks too and its no scam.. all you need to do is sign-up and select the number of CDs you want then fill in you address and thats it. Six-seven weeks at the most and you'll have the CDs you ordered.

@enricky - what error do you get mate?

I don't know how they can afford to send so many for free... but they do. I ordered 500 of them, and got them about two months later in August 2005. I've given away 300 already.

I don't know how they can afford to send so many for free... but they do. I ordered 500 of them, and got them about two months later in August 2005. I've given away 300 already.

A CD costs at most 10 cents to make, probably even less. It costs them more to ship it, so they rather you order 500 than 1.

what error do you get mate?

I forget the error, it was a while back, but the CDs were obviously defective just by looking at them.

Disc.jpg

You can see an odd patern on the disc, probably meaning that there was a problem while pressing them. Every single x86 disc that I received had the same pattern.

A CD costs at most 10 cents to make, probably even less. It costs them more to ship it, so they rather you order 500 than 1.

I forget the error, it was a while back, but the CDs were obviously defective just by looking at them.

Disc.jpg

You can see an odd patern on the disc, probably meaning that there was a problem while pressing them. Every single x86 disc that I received had the same pattern.

Call me stupid, but why would they rather you order a huge amount than just 1-2 CDs? Assuming they cost $0.10 per CD, that's still $50 to make 500 CDs. How much does it cost to ship?

Ok I was browsing the internet last night and saw something for free ubuntu cd's from shipit. ubuntu.com . now is this a free cd company or is it a scam>

Not a scam, I got quite a lot of v5.04 when they offered them before.

Took about 8 weeks to arrive though.

Yeah trust me they are free :shiftyninja: but you have to wait like a month for them to arrive

hpim24456ez.jpg

Edited by )(RockerBoy

They're made and shipped for as cheap as possible. The money comes from the ubuntu company. How they make money i'm not sure. Donations to some amount, and they probably do other stuff too.

I never bothered to order CDs, since I've just burned my own. I feel bad costing them more money that I have to.

well i think i ordered tghe 20pc standard pack samw here i just need some linuk and want to get it wel i wil report back here when they arrive thanks alll for your support and replies in this thread..

not really worth it unless you have no other way of getting ubuntu.... your better off downloading the ISO and burning it yourself (if you can that is)... sum of the CDs end up not working, and takes a good 2 months for them to get shipped. and i mean a GOOD 1 1/2 month to 2 months.

Why not just download it? its barely 700mb
not really worth it unless you have no other way of getting ubuntu...

Answered.

Now add the fact that I'm an Ubuntu translator, and it's really nice to translate something that you can interact with. Plus, having 1Live and 1Install CD added to my translating salary ($0 or €0) is quite nifty, don't you agree?