free cd's from ubuntu

True.

Although saying that, if they wanted anything up to $10 for shipping I'd pay it.

Nothing is stopping anyone from giving whatever you feel Ubuntu Linux (or their shipping efforts) to be worth:

http://www.ubuntu.com/donations

Pick whatever amount you feel appropriate.

That's exactly what they should do. Since it costs like $0.10 to press each CD they should make the price for each CD $0.25 and then tack on the shipping costs. Perhaps lower the price down toward $0.10 as the ordered quantity increases. This would allow them to hire another person or two to handle CD shipments. Waiting six weeks is ridiculous. Waiting six weeks with no gaurantee of them arriving is also ridiculous. Nonetheless, whatever is left could go toward development. I certainly wouldn't mind paying $8.50 for 10 copies (assuming shipping would be $3.50) knowing it would benefit Ubuntu and the copies will be at my house within a week.
I can burn and ship copies if anyone will pay me! :D Seriously, though, I have mailed out a few CDs in my history at no charge to Neowin members that were unable to burn their own for various reasons. One can also find inexpensive sources to direct-ship as well (eBay or Google search for people selling copies).