free cd's from ubuntu

Yeah trust me they are free :shiftyninja: but you have to wait like a month for them to arrive

You need that many cd's why? :rolleyes:

Why not just download it? its barely 700mb

I got 100 of them myself to give to my kids to hand to friends, gave them to friends and kept a couple for myself to play with.

Saved me downloading and burning my own disks.

I don't know why, but I always have some real issues when downloading big files like the distro's. I think it took me a week and a half to get the full working set of Asterisk and a fortnight to get FC3 - it would time out, or stop, or download and not work etc. Tried all different PCs and CD/RWs.

I could download and burn at work, but I've ordered 10 CDs and 5 64bit CDs. I want to get a few machines on to dual boot, and because of the security bits with Windows try and get Dad and some other relatives working with Ubuntu rather than Windows. As he doesn't own a PC and just uses my old 98SE one here it's not like having to learn from scratch, as he only knows Firefox and some basic Windows. :D

Even if it does take 8 weeks to turn up it's a chance to get some overtime in and get a new PC for it.

Thanks for posting the link and details - didn't spot the link straight away on the Ubuntu site! :)

I think people have forgotten that there people do use Dial up as yet

and also there are people with slower broadband

like me

iam on a 96k broadband connection

with a 150mb Dload limit per day

so id rather order than Dload

and yeah i got my cd's as well

had even posted a photo of them in another thread

:)

Edit here is the photo

i remember a while back someone went and requested a ****e load of service pack 2 discs from microsoft who was paying the shipping on them. wonder how much it costs these people to ship out lots and lots of cds

Yeah it's legit :) that is how I got my copy of Ubuntu 5.04 and I recently ordered 5.10 and it's in on its way :happy:

Someone said they ordered 500 copies. I wonder what the most anyone has ever ordered is? I'm tempted to put 1,000, but I'm not going to do that :laugh: I'm just going to order 20-30

Someone said they ordered 500 copies. I wonder what the most anyone has ever ordered is? I'm tempted to put 1,000, but I'm not going to do that :laugh: I'm just going to order 20-30

Remember, someone has to pocket the cost of all this... it's not a good thing to over-order, if you really want to contribute to the Linux Community order the amount you need... If I was to order for myself today, I'd probably get 2 and make a backup ISO...

Remember, someone has to pocket the cost of all this... it's not a good thing to over-order, if you really want to contribute to the Linux Community order the amount you need... If I was to order for myself today, I'd probably get 2 and make a backup ISO...

I ordered 30 and I'm keeping like 2. The rest I'm giving to a friend who works at a computer store and he'll give them to people who come in.

I wasn't actually going to order 1,000 copies. I'm not a jerk like that. I mean seriously, what the hell would I do with 1,000 copies of Ubuntu Linux? :laugh:

I ordered 30 and I'm keeping like 2. The rest I'm giving to a friend who works at a computer store and he'll give them to people who come in.

I wasn't actually going to order 1,000 copies. I'm not a jerk like that. I mean seriously, what the hell would I do with 1,000 copies of Ubuntu Linux? :laugh:

Exactly. The idea is this org wants to put Ubuntu into the hands of people that actually want it. Please don't abuse their goodwill and make them waste resources if you don't have a legit need for more than one copy.

i downloaded it, but i'd be nice to have a pressed CD around, and i wanted to hand some out to a few friends, i thought it'd be funny if i ordered a bunch and went to the student union and handed them out to people, but it's a little too crazy for me

If you abuse the system, they could take it away. Just be glad you dont have to pay for shipping.

If you abuse the system, they could take it away. Just be glad you dont have to pay for shipping.

True.

Although saying that, if they wanted anything up to $10 for shipping I'd pay it.

i downloaded it, but i want a nice glossy cd ;)

how long do they take to arrive in the UK. one of my mates had to wait 4 weeks for his to come.

i downloaded it, but i want a nice glossy cd ;)

how long do they take to arrive in the UK. one of my mates had to wait 4 weeks for his to come.

Same here. I usually get the standard pack of 10 x86 CDs and 5x 64 CDs and hand them out in my computing class. Does take about 4 weeks though.

Same here. I usually get the standard pack of 10 x86 CDs and 5x 64 CDs and hand them out in my computing class. Does take about 4 weeks though.

oh right thanks.

I am still waiting for my CD's to come :( can't even remember when I send the request. this was the second time. First time I got the 5 CD's within 2 months. I gave most of them to my friends and lost the one I kept for myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Just went in to the garden for the first time in ages and there was a package in the middle of the path! It was a bit wet, but inside the jiffy bag seems to be ok.

I guess they took three weeks? 10 PC, 5 64-bit. Just about to load up a live cd. :)

I ordered the 32bit processor and 64bit processor CD's about 2 months ago. They came in the mail last night. Installed it on my EMachines laptop (see specs). It's working fine.

if they wanted anything up to $10 for shipping I'd pay it.

That's exactly what they should do. Since it costs like $0.10 to press each CD they should make the price for each CD $0.25 and then tack on the shipping costs. Perhaps lower the price down toward $0.10 as the ordered quantity increases. This would allow them to hire another person or two to handle CD shipments. Waiting six weeks is ridiculous. Waiting six weeks with no gaurantee of them arriving is also ridiculous. Nonetheless, whatever is left could go toward development. I certainly wouldn't mind paying $8.50 for 10 copies (assuming shipping would be $3.50) knowing it would benefit Ubuntu and the copies will be at my house within a week.

Like others have said, this is a legitimate offer. My first attempt to use Ubuntu was after I had ordered 15 copies of version 4.10. I handed 13 of those out to other students in the CCNA classes and had two copies for myself. When version 5.04 was released I used my previously-created ShipIt account to order 15 new copies but I never received them. That still irritates me knowing I waited 6 weeks--1,008 hours!--for them to arrive and nothing came. That is one of the major reasons I would recommend Ubuntu switch to a paid-for model of CD shipments so there would be a paper-trail that confirms an order was placed and generally guarantees the shipment will arrive. But also like others have said: it will not hurt to try them out. They only ask that you provide a valid email address and they send one email to it to ensure it is valid, you will receive no further emails from them and, hopefully, you will receive your free copy/copies of Ubuntu.