Man kills teen boy who walked on his grass

BATAVIA, Ohio (AP) -- A man who neighbors say was devoted to his meticulously kept lawn was charged with murder in the shooting of a 15-year-old boy who apparently walked across his yard.

Charles Martin called 911 on Sunday afternoon, saying calmly: "I just killed a kid."

Police, who released the call's contents, said Martin also told the dispatcher: "I've been harassed by him and his parents for five years. Today just blew it up."

Larry Mugrage, whose family lived next door, was shot in the chest with a shotgun. The high school freshman was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Martin, 66, allegedly told police he had several times had problems with neighbors walking on his lawn. He remained jailed without bond Monday. His jailers said no attorney was listed for him.

Neighbors said Martin lived alone quietly, often sitting in front of his one-story home with its neat lawn, well-trimmed shrubbery and flag pole with U.S. and Navy flags flying.

Joanne Ritchie, 46, said Mugrage was known as "a good kid." She said she always also considered Martin to be friendly.

Union Township is near Batavia, about 20 miles east of Cincinnati, Ohio.

source

Well, I suppose it may fall under your constitutional rights to be a grumpy old man that kills anyone who walks on his lawn. Granted, this guy deserves to be jailed for the rest of his life, but there is something to be said about keeping people off of your private property...

Well, I suppose it may fall under your constitutional rights to be a grumpy old man that kills anyone who walks on his lawn. Granted, this guy deserves to be jailed for the rest of his life, but there is something to be said about keeping people off of your private property...

No property is worth a person's life.

This is not surprising. Some people are very perticular about their posessions and don't like it when others tamper with them. I can't say I blame him for what he did especially when he had problems with the neighbors for that many years. In some parts of the United States it isn't uncommon for people to kill trespassers.

He'll probably plead temporary insanity and get off with a slap on the wrists. The only thing going against him is the sympathy factor... not only did he shoot a kid and kill him, but it was a highschool freshman... just started... not even established as their own person yet. It's pretty messed up all over though.

well, I can tell you, that if I was that boys father I wouldn't let that old man see another day. If he does just get a slap on the wrists he better think about moving.

Owning a firearm should be illegal.

I agree... :yes:

But this guy should've been on medicine... losing your temper in that way is not healthy. :no:

Owning a firearm should be illegal.

Don't turn this into an anti-fire arms debate please.

I think it's messed up, you kill enemy soldiers in war, and attackers out of self defence, but not kids for walking on your lawn.

Don't turn this into an anti-fire arms debate please.

I think it's messed up, you kill enemy soldiers in war, and attackers out of self defence, but not kids for walking on your lawn.

Why not? If he didn't own a gun he'd had no way of killing him (at least not easily). I think the debate should be open. This is exactly why I'm moving back to Canada in a few years. Right to bear arms my ass...

****ed. Up. Thats all it is. This guy... should never deserve to see grass again. See how he likes it with life in jail, all concrete. In fact they should ship him out to some desert where there isnt a blade of grass for miles. Sick, sick, sick. This is the age old debate... kings would sacrifice thousands of men to gain some territory. This guy has a massive possession problem... amoung other problems. You should NOT be allowed to own a gun. Nobody should, not even an army, there is no skill involved in it, no way of protecting yourself from it. Its a point, click weapon. It is pointed at a person, and usually, that person is dead. Doesn't ANYBODY see how that should never, ever, be allowed? No chance of defence, unless you have a gun yourself, but thats not a defence thats an offence. Guns are brutal, this guy is worse. Give him life, so he can see what he took away.

:o :no:

Hope his precious lawn rots while he's spending the rest of his life in prison.

I can bet you right now someone, probably some of the kid's friends from school, have vandalized the lawn beyond repair. Poured a chemical or petrol or something. If they haven't they will. :shiftyninja:

This is exactly why I'm moving back to Canada in a few years. Right to bear arms my ass...

Well then move back to Canada. I own a firearm and love the second amendment that we have here in the states.

Well then move back to Canada. I own a firearm and love the second amendment that we have here in the states.

Sorry, but then your precious constitution is messed up. Trespassing is no excuse for killing people.

Here in Denmark you have to have hunting license in order to own a gun (and unlike US people don't go hunting with attack rifles).

Sorry guys, but that's my oppinion.

This is exactly why I'm moving back to Canada in a few years. Right to bear arms my ass...

Um. Do you know anything at all about Canada? They have the right to bear arms there too. Gun ownership in the USA is like 45% of households. Gun ownership in Canada is 30%. Big difference, gl@moving

Um. Do you know anything at all about Canada? They have the right to bear arms there. Gun ownership in the USA is like 45% of households. Gun ownership in Canada is 30%. Big difference, gl@moving

It's not so much about gun ownership as it is about gun carrying. Where are you getting those numbers anyway? Link me. Canadian gun ownership laws are more strict than the US. You're also forgetting about the huge population difference. So I'm way more likely to get my ass shot in the street here than I am back home.

Anyhoo, my move back is at least 2 years away :(