[release] Windows Server 2003 - XP Conversion Pack

As many guys know that Windows Server 2003 uses the newer kernel which is faster, more stable and has better memory management. Despite the fact it's made for server purposes, some claimed it's optimized for workstation purposes very well in SP1. So I gave it a try for workstation conversion and it was really a worth try. Then I decided to make conversion tool that turn Windows Server 2003 to completely Windows XP. This works on both Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003 R2 and it's highly recommended to install Service Pack 1 before apply the conversion. Let's see why should we switch from XP to 2003 as XP from OSNews' article here.

Features:

Windows Server 2003/Windows XP conversion (Retail or cracked winlogon.exe only)

Server security configuration

|-Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration

|-Shutdown Event Tracker

|-Error reporting

|-Ctrl+Alt+Del requirement on startup

|-Drive auto-mounting

Features configuration

|-Manage Your Server logon window

|-Processor scheduling

|-Windows Update

|-Firewall

|-Start Menu items (You have to create new Administrator account)

Services configuration

|-Themes

|-CD-Burning

|-Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

|-Multimedia support and DirectX acceleration

|-Visual effects

XP missing stuffs configuration

|-User accounts in Control Panel

|-Classic games

|-3-D arcade pinball game

|-System Restore

|-Shell services (logon, fast user switching, progress dialog ,user picture, etc.).

Functions

1. It can apply Windows XP conversion as close as Windows XP Professional x64 Edition SP1

2. It can undo conversion back to original (You can choose to remove some or all)

3. It can convert Windows Server 2003 CD to Windows XP CD (Not real, though)

Get Windows Server 2003 - XP Conversion Pack

xpconv.jpg

post-23644-1138739908_thumb.jpg

Edited by Windows X

Would probably do better if you made custom images that said "server - personal edition' instead of XP.

That way you can still show off that you run server.

I didn't modify anything except OS code so everything is genuine from Microsoft :p

This pic should prove that it has both 2003 and XP stuffs.

post-23644-1142921247_thumb.jpg

Why bother???
Why not!

Making stuff that was never meant to work, work, can be kinda fun, even when it's not perfect, and there's no practical purpose. I know I was creaming myself for days when I got the NT4 Explorer shell to work on XP, myself :)

If you can install Windows Server 2003 but you also use Windows XP, now you can just install Windows Server 2003 and make it XP. You'll have the best Windows XP x86 build that can be server also when needed.

I'm gonna give it a try. Thanks for the post. If you have a Virtual PC you can try the conversion there to see how it works for those of us who are somewhat hesitant to use a live machine.

Edited by mikeyj

The only problem that I find with running Windows Server 2003 is that you have to buy server editions of certian software. Such as PerfectDisk, Diskeeper and O&O Defrag: all require you to purchase a server edition to be able to run on a server OS. There's also Acronis True Image, which won't run on a server OS. So even though you're getting much better security and performance, you'll have to spend a lot more as well.

But then again, if you can afford to be running a server OS in the first place, you can probably afford to run the software editions required for a server OS.

But then again, if you can afford to be running a server OS in the first place, you can probably afford to run the software editions required for a server OS.

My school gave me 3 different versions of Win2k3 server for whatever reason. I would say that is the exception to your rule lol.

I might build a test machine tonight and give this a shot. Any word on how it runs games?

Why bother???

Because 2003 has a newer kernel than XP.

Windows 2000 = Windows NT 5.0

Windows XP = Windows NT 5.1

Windows 2003 = Windows NT 5.2

Windows Vista = Windows NT 6.0

My school gave me 3 different versions of Win2k3 server for whatever reason. I would say that is the exception to your rule lol.

I might build a test machine tonight and give this a shot. Any word on how it runs games?

I used to play Warcraft III (DotA) in XP but it seems a bit laggy when I use 1024x768 resolution. But in Windows Server 2003, it performs fine even I enhanced it more a little bit and most applications load faster than XP (Photoshop CS2 in 5 seconds for the first launch and sooner for the next launch)

My spec is laptop with AMD Turion 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM and x600 card.

Conclusion, just try it with complete installation and consider yourself if you can.

I tried running Server 2003 as workstation only to find that it crashes so freakin much.

Surprisingly XP works fine.

I have no idea why DEP kicks in on 1/2 of the apps I run.

Because 2003 has a newer kernel than XP.

Windows 2000 = Windows NT 5.0

Windows XP = Windows NT 5.1

Windows 2003 = Windows NT 5.2

Windows Vista = Windows NT 6.0

The extra money you send on Server over XP would buy enough hardware to get the XP to out perform Server. And as Hurmoth said, a lot of applications require you to purchase a different version for Server, so more spend just to get the apps you already own licenses for to run on Server.

But its your money, so if you think that it will impress people to say "XP, pah, I run Server on my pc!"

As a project to get it to run, I don't see a problem. Well done. If two guys can get XP to run on a Mac AND get US$13k for their hobby, good for them.

Student licenses? Um, read the EULA. These are for educational purposes only and are not for use as a "live" OS.

The extra money you send on Server over XP would buy enough hardware to get the XP to out perform Server. And as Hurmoth said, a lot of applications require you to purchase a different version for Server, so more spend just to get the apps you already own licenses for to run on Server.

But its your money, so if you think that it will impress people to say "XP, pah, I run Server on my pc!"

As a project to get it to run, I don't see a problem. Well done. If two guys can get XP to run on a Mac AND get US$13k for their hobby, good for them.

Student licenses? Um, read the EULA. These are for educational purposes only and are not for use as a "live" OS.

I did read the EULA... says nothing in there about me not using it as long as I get rid of it when I'm out of school. I graduate in a year or so, and by then longhorn will be out and I'll want that anyway.

I even bought two copies of XP that were "student liscenses" because they were significantly discounted... I'm not doing anything illegal or against the EULA.

i am running 2k3 corp (legal) with the XP patch, and KOL's Vista theme on top of that....runs PERFECTLY smooth.

Nice WindowX.

It's great to see you back in the modding packs world...

Since the LHTP 10 we didn't see you...

Also it's great to see a Patch that is more "legal" than TweakNT (Witch is a Crack becuse it can remove Timebombs)

Will try this soon....